Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:23 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times

Advertisements

Come on, you have to be fake, 90% of your life!

If I was to be brutally honest in every day life I would probably have been murdered by now.

Fake nice makes the world go round. Don't believe me? Just go into a clothes shop or department store. Watch an ad on tv. Look at any family gathering or workplace you could name. Fake nice is everywhere...it's like alcohol, it lubricates the social fabric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
This is kind of like asking whether you'd like someone to punch you in the face or lick you all over the face. Um... neither?
LOL! I guess it depends on the context.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM

588 posts, read 796,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
This is kind of like asking whether you'd like someone to punch you in the face or lick you all over the face. Um... neither?
For myself, I think in an handful of cases, I'd choose option B and be quite happy with it.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:35 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Should you be brutally honest, OR polite but fake nice?

Why not polite and honest or polite and considerate? Why "fake" or "brutally honest" (ignorant as sh1t)................ Strewth!

People wonder about relationship and dating issues? Really? Well..... I can't think why!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
Honesty. I'm tired of the PC BS

Old 12-03-2012, 01:50 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Come on, you have to be fake, 90% of your life!

If I was to be brutally honest in every day life I would probably have been murdered by now.

Fake nice makes the world go round. Don't believe me? Just go into a clothes shop or department store. Watch an ad on tv. Look at any family gathering or workplace you could name. Fake nice is everywhere...it's like alcohol, it lubricates the social fabric.
Fair enough.

I appreciate your honesty!

I don't think it's hard to be honest and at the same time, consider the other person's feelings as to not hurt them. People at least deserve the respect of some form of genuine sincerity.

I'm not saying go out and say mean things to people. That's just being a ********. You can be straight and honest without burning another person's self-esteem in a way that honors a person on some level.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:50 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Really- a false choice.

You can be diplomatic, courteous and temperate but still stick to your principles.

For example; I was talking to my aunt and my family down south a few months ago while at a Stanford football tailgate. The conversation turned to politics, and we had a little debate. Obviously, being extensive property owners in agriculture and ranching, they voted Republican, and I voted Democrat. And yet, everything was civil. What is the point of this silly little story? That you can disagree and still be pleasant.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Honesty. I'm tired of the PC BS
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Really- a false choice.

You can be diplomatic, courteous and temperate but still stick to your principles.

For example; I was talking to my aunt and my family down south a few months ago while at a Stanford football tailgate. The conversation turned to politics, and we had a little debate. Obviously, being extensive property owners in agriculture and ranching, they voted Republican, and I voted Democrat. And yet, everything was civil. What is the point of this silly little story? That you can disagree and still be pleasant.
I curtail political converations by respecting the other person's opinion as well. No biggie in the grand scheme of things.

No need to go out of my way to pretend to be something I am not either.

We don't need to be belligerent to get our points across nor door mat ourselves.

So long as people are genuine and not communicating all pridefully, I think a lot of people can agree and disagree and still be on the same page.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
1. Is it true?
2. Is it kind?
3. Is it helpful?

If what you're about to say isn't at least two of the three, maybe you should not say it. As others have said, honesty does not have to be brutal.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
What about little kids and Santa Claus? Do you lie to them politely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships