Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 04:14 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,644 times

Advertisements

Honey, if a young man you are dating knows how expensive your purse is, who made it, or is able to tell real LV logos from the many fakes, send him my way because he is GAY and I love a good clotheswh***.

And seriously girl, nursing may pay better than average, but you still spend 80 hours a week dealing with sick people. So don't front.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:14 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missganda View Post
Ya I guess I'm spending too much on items I don't really need. I have about 50 pairs of branded jeans like seven, citizens, rock and republic, true religion etc. Theyre like $200 a pair. I like designer items. I can't see myself buying other brands. I feel like I'm wasting money if I buy something thats not really my taste.
I would really think about this, OP. It can get addictive, buying this stuff. And you start to rationalize it, like "I'm upgrading", or "I prefer quality", or "I need a different color for each outfit", and so forth. And the thing about collecting different brand names, see how you did that? Reeled off a whole list, like it's all a status symbol, or it helps you feel better about yourself, or something. People who were born into wealthy families generally don't fill closets with stuff. They buy quality, but not quantity. Congratulations on having a great job, though the hours seem excessive (free time is a type of luxury, one that you don't seem to have). You seem to have gone a little overboard in the clothing and handbags dept., though. It happens. You have good money, steady money coming in, and someone turns you onto designer brands, and suddenly you get carried away, simply because you can afford it. You might rethink this. It might be healthier to take more time off, for R & R, and spend less. Just a thought.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,248 times
I would initially be a put off by a girl who spends $1,000+ on a hang bag. It signals that this girl is high maintenance and if I settle with a woman like this then I'll be paying for fancy clothes, vacations, spa treatments, etc. all the time. In other words I work hard, she spends all the money. I won't lie, that is the initial fear.

The truth is that most guys who have worked hard to make a good salary are pretty sensible and will not support a woman who adds no value aside from dolling herself up with fancy clothes. From a long-term perspective, guys will require much more in a partner but will give attention to anyone that looks good in the short-term. There's nothing wrong with looking good but from a guy's perspective, you can look hot and not have to spend $300 on a shirt. Most men will be attracted to how a woman carries herself as opposed to the price of her shoes.

And most successful professional men are really not that flashy and really want someone who is of course cute, but also sensible. There is a difference between wanting and needing nice things and a sensible woman understands this. I am by no means saying that all women who wear $1,000 bags and shoes are just focused on material items and have no substance behind them because I know that's not true. And there is a big difference between having a couple of expensive items vs. a wardrobe full of them which is well beyond ones income level. But there will be an onus to prove you are not materialistic if you are decked out in gucci as this will initially scare many guys off (including many hardworking, well-to-do guys).

Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I would really think about this, OP. It can get addictive, buying this stuff. And you start to rationalize it, like "I'm upgrading", or "I prefer quality", or "I need a different color for each outfit", and so forth. And the thing about collecting different brand names, see how you did that? Reeled off a whole list, like it's all a status symbol, or it helps you feel better about yourself, or something. People who were born into wealthy families generally don't fill closets with stuff. They buy quality, but not quantity. Congratulations on having a great job, though the hours seem excessive (free time is a type of luxury, one that you don't seem to have). You seem to have gone a little overboard in the clothing and handbags dept., though. It happens. You have good money, steady money coming in, and someone turns you onto designer brands, and suddenly you get carried away, simply because you can afford it. You might rethink this. It might be healthier to take more time off, for R & R, and spend less. Just a thought.
I will give her that, working in a hospital - it's easy to put in 80 hour work weeks. I was never a nurse (nothing so glamorous), but I worked in a psych hospital for years. If I worked under 80 hours - after mandations and OT - it was an easy week.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I've been a nurse for many years. I've been working alot of hours almost 80 hours a week. I started saving when I first started working. I bought a house when I was 22. I'm not rich. I work hard for what I have.
80 hours/week. I don't know how you do that, unless you're working two jobs. Most employers don't allow more than a certain number of hours/month. My sister-in-law is a highly paid nurse. She does well, but not well enough to be a spendthrift. You could cut back to a 40-hr. week, slash the discretionary spending (you have plenty of purses and jeans, now), and have free time to enjoy life, meet men, date, and still help out family members. You have rental income, you can feed your investment account with that.

I wonder if your spending might be a way of relieving stress from the 80-hr. week. Maybe if you cut back on your hours, you wouldn't need that crutch. Something to consider.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
I will give her that, working in a hospital - it's easy to put in 80 hour work weeks. I was never a nurse (nothing so glamorous), but I worked in a psych hospital for years. If I worked under 80 hours - after mandations and OT - it was an easy week.
Really? Where my sister-in-;law work, if they require overtime, they have to make up for that later in the month, by giving people time off. idk, maybe it's a union thing, vs. non-union...? I'll look into that.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Really? Where my sister-in-;law work, if they require overtime, they have to make up for that later in the month, by giving people time off. idk, maybe it's a union thing, vs. non-union...? I'll look into that.
At my hospital, the nurses were union; we weren't. The only way we couldn't get mandated would be if we worked 16 hours (that was the max you could work in a single day). If you were ever scheduled 8 hours (rare), you were pretty much guaranteed to be working an extra 4 hours. We were chronically short staffed and getting pulled to other units that were even more short staffed than we were.

ETA: This was before they passed the hospital mandation bill that regulated nursing mandations. I'm not sure how it affected non-nurse hospital workers, as I had quit by then.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
I don't see going to a day spa or getting a massage or manicure or pedicure as spoiling oneself. I think it's a waste of money. I rather buy a nice designer purse, shoes or jeans.
scraggly nails and toes but jeans that cost $200 and purses that cost $2k??

You lost me. I'm not buying it.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
scraggly nails and toes but jeans that cost $200 and purses that cost $2k??

You lost me. I'm not buying it.
I'm a guy and I have jeans that cost $200. It's not as unusual as you think.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm a guy and I have jeans that cost $200. It's not as unusual as you think.
Perhaps. But you don't have fifty, as admitted by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships