Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Read between the lines, read the context of a post, the subtle implications.
when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 08:42 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It's really about bias. The rhetoric is more than clear, but some choose to ignore it.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
What a stupid "test".

Old 12-08-2012, 09:06 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Ah, the genius IQ. It's as common as the obese "but I'm 100% healthy and could run circles around anyone" poster. Either it's time to readjust the IQ scoring system or a few folks have a bit of a disconnect between themselves and reality.

And I didn't find the IQ question offensive at all. The people who will be deemed most desirable in the dating world are those who are just above average intelligence. Low intelligence and you're boring and annoying, high intelligence and you're boring and pretentious. General stereotypes, I know, but these quizzes are written for the average point of view.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Oh bull. I am an educated 49 year old women with piles of life experience. I can spot a douche a mile away. I have very positive relationships with men in general, both online and in real life. It isn't me that's for sure.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
One thing I always notice about these "sexual value" ideas is that they are always written by men too young to truly assess the trajectory of male attractiveness. Men in their 20s and 30s, and really on up to their 40s believe that in their 50s they will still be able to pull a hot young woman. I see guys writing that online very often - I am going to have fun until I am 50 years old and that is when I will settle down and marry a 22 year old woman. The problem is, they are all looking at someone like George Clooney, a man who is super wealthy and incredibly handsome. Look around at your peers, fellas. Are you in the top 10% in terms of income and looks? If not, you too will age out of your desires, sooner than you think.

Let's just take a look at actual "normal" men, these are those guys who made the news a couple of years ago because they have taken the same picture of themselves at a camp over decades.

Here they are at the age that is typical of the online PUA scene, when they assess that a man being over the age of 45 is a mere "-1" on the sexual market place. They are about 30 or so. This is you, average looking man, average job, average life:

Now here are these same average guys, now they are pushing 50. Do you really think a 22 year old is going to get with one of these guys unless of his age group he is the cream of the crop financially?

This is a new topic for me, one I am seeing the results of first hand very often now that I am 42. I am very fit with a physique that outmatches most women half my age (not because I am so great, because they are so sloppy but I digress). I am the one these guys come to when they can't get a younger woman. I know that the reality for them in terms of attractiveness is very similar to the world I stepped into when I returned to the dating scene after a divorce at the age of 36.

And let me tell you something, guys. Life might throw an additional monkey wrench your way. For instance the never-married 48 year old man I dated who had his prostate removed due to cancer. Once diagnosed he suddenly felt his own mortality, had some sperm frozen and now was desperate to get married to a woman who would have his baby. WTF was he doing sitting across the dinner table from a 41 year old woman, earnestly asking whether she would be open to marriage and being inseminated by frozen sperm? Younger women would not entertain his offer (this guy probably makes about $40 k a year which is peanuts in this part of the country) so he is now looking for a desperate 40 something. When I asked him what took so long to decide to settle down and have a family, he asked me honestly: "I was too busy out there chasing hood rats."

I have 3 more cautionary tales all witnessed within the last couple of years, all men who didn't believe they too hit the wall. It isn't just dating either, a few years ago I was walking in NYC with my happily married 55 year old boss. It was summer so there was much exposed skin. My boss remarked, "So many beautiful women, and I am invisible to them all.

This is my main quibble with the whole "PUA" "red pill" world. They are quick to point out the realities of aging for women, yet cannot fathom the realities of aging for men. I saw Theprivateman - one of these red pill guys who is 50+ - started begging for donation online, yet still proclaimed he had high value among women because his charisma trumped him being broke. (I called him out on this bs, think my comments were deleted.) That just isn't true. Or if it is true, my experience and maturity trumps my being cuter in my 20s. [/sarcasm]

Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
OMG, Onglet. That really puts things in perspective. Yikes.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
This is my main quibble with the whole "PUA" "red pill" world. They are quick to point out the realities of aging for women, yet cannot fathom the realities of aging for men. I saw Theprivateman - one of these red pill guys who is 50+ - started begging for donation online, yet still proclaimed he had high value among women because his charisma trumped him being broke. (I called him out on this bs, think my comments were deleted.) That just isn't true. Or if it is true, my experience and maturity trumps my being cuter in my 20s. [/sarcasm]
I'm pretty sure theprivateman goes after older women not women under 30.

Most of those PUA's are referring to traveling overseas where young women in places like Colombia and Philippines like 50 year old men more than 25 year olds.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
This whole thread makes me very thankful I am happily married to a wonderful man. The dating world sounds like it sucks big balls.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:47 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I'm pretty sure theprivateman goes after older women not women under 30.

Most of those PUA's are referring to traveling overseas where young women in places like Colombia and Philippines like 50 year old men more than 25 year olds.
I am in his age range and I am his physical type, which is why I read his blog. My point is that his sexual market value is in the toilet even to a woman as old as me. When you are a 50+ man and poor, few people want you. A 50+ poor man is the equivalent of a 40 year old fat woman. This is where the "red pill" ceases to function - guys can't accept the fact that you need to have your financial house in order when you are in your 50s. When you pretend otherwise, you do a grave disservice to young men who believe you. Women - even at 40+ - don't like men who are poorer than they are, and when you are 50 you just aren't good looking enough to overcome that, unless you look like Clooney. Once again, see the pics I just posted as evidence.

(I don't care about PUAs traveling to other countries so I don't have any commentary on it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships