Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:12 AM

7 posts, read 16,766 times

Advertisements

You may say that I should consult an attorney, that's right, but, I can't affort it, right now.
I'm a hispanic moved from NY, married for 10 yrs, two lovelly kids, but her mother lose her self control, and wants file for divorce. It was hard for me, been an excelent father and home provider, as she has been agreed.
I'm a very normal, educated, good person, overall, but this is the end of our relationship. Will be late when she realize she's been wrong.
How can I my two kids living close to me, I mean, in the same town, or same city? Because they need me, maybe a little more than her mother, for thei development, and their education , and to help them in their homework.

But you may be asking yourself: What did I do? and I will tell you, that she doesn't feel that I love her.
Just because of that she made a lot of mistake in the relationship, and it been worts.

So, please give some feed back and advise. I'm sufering too much, knowing that I'm going to lose my fatherhood.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 09:17 AM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Consult an attorney. Most don't charge for a consultation to speak with them. Have you both tried marriage couseling. That could be a good start. If she doesn't want to, how about just going yourself. Good luck. Sorry to hear what you're going through.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 AM

7 posts, read 16,766 times
yes, attornies charge at least 200. for consultation.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:37 AM

353 posts, read 995,728 times
I don't want to say anything to upset you, but I think you need to FIND the money for an attorney. If you do not have an attorney, there will be no one to fight for your rights as a father. We live in a society where (right or wrong) consideration is given first to the mother/wife -- if your soon-to-be-ex-wife is in the position of having an attorney, she could very easily take everything you own, AND your children. You need an advocate. I would start calling places, and not worry about the cost -- you need to find someone who will work with you to make the cost something you can pay long-term. Right now, you need to protect yourself.

I strongly encourage you to arm yourself with an advocate. If you don't, you could very well be left high-and-dry.

Good Luck to you!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,750 times
If you can't even afford $200, I don't think you can afford to keep your kids....tough world

Old 10-15-2007, 10:20 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
There must be legal aid around here. Especially since there are some good law schools around.

If you live in Wake County:
Legal Aid of NC Offices - Raleigh/Smithfield

Durham County:
Untitled 1

Orange County:
Untitled 1

Main state site:
Legal Aid of North Carolina (http://www.legalaidnc.org/client/locator.aspx - broken link)

Good luck to you - you definitely need a lawyer - the way to go is through organizations like this or your county office (call and ask for legal aid).

Ignore the poster before me who said if you can't afford $200 you'll lose your kids. That poster needs to be quiet and do some self reflection.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:37 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Have you tried going to counseling with your wife? Many times there are things people do in relationships, and a lot of it boils down to a lot of misunderstandings and lack of communication. If you truly love your wife in any way, I'd suggest going to a counselor before you do anything.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:08 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
If you can't even afford $200, I don't think you can afford to keep your kids....tough world
That was a very mean spirited comment. The guy asked for help not to be criticized.

Char

Old 10-15-2007, 11:35 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Another suggestion is to apply for a credit card and charge your legal expenses to it. Is your wife expecting you to foot the entire bill for the divorce? Does she work? Will she expect alimony? If you are able to have full custody of your children, then you won't have to pay child support.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:50 PM

915 posts, read 3,179,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChar View Post
That was a very mean spirited comment. The guy asked for help not to be criticized.

Char
No I m just telling the truth for the kids sake. I do not mean to put him down. That's the problem with this society we are living in. Everyone is so politicaly correct now. Sometimes people just need to realized (look below)

I mean look at the advise here

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Another suggestion is to apply for a credit card and charge your legal expenses to it. Is your wife expecting you to foot the entire bill for the divorce? Does she work? Will she expect alimony? If you are able to have full custody of your children, then you won't have to pay child support.
You are asking the guy to dig his hole deeper so he has no way to get back up.... give up the kids for now ....until you can stand up for yourself then get them back. Think about them, their welfare not his desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships