Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Friends first has always worked for me. The more I get to know someone the more attractive they become...or not.
Me too. In my experience most of the happily married people I've known were friends first. You can be friends and still have that spark, you just draw it out until you know the person better.

Sure, I've known some couples who had sex within hours of meeting and ended up in a good marriage. But that's usually (not always), the exception to the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Me too. In my experience most of the happily married people I've known were friends first. You can be friends and still have that spark, you just draw it out until you know the person better.

Sure, I've known some couples who had sex within hours of meeting and ended up in a good marriage. But that's usually (not always), the exception to the rule.
Well we're young, so no doubt in the future it will work that way. Generally speaking people in their twenties don't do the friends first thing.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
That is, why is it so rare for a person's feelings for someone to make the leap from "friend" to "potentially more than friend"? I've only ever had it happen once, with my first girlfriend. We started off just hanging out, never really saw it as dating... then she hinted pretty strongly that she liked me more than that, and I did as well, so it kinda took off from there.

But ever since then, it's like that spark never fires. And judging by the posts on here, the same is true for a lot of men and women. What gives?
When I first started dating, you either liked someone or you didn't, and you either gave it a chance for a first date, or not. When I was single again at 38, I wasn't looking for men to get to know and become friends with and then hope it would turn into something more at some point.

For me, it's never been a consideration to become friends first and then potentially have it turn into something more. Part of the dating process is getting to know someone, and hopefully you're developing a friendship, along with the romantic relationship and sexual relationship. You don't have to establish a firm friendship base before officially going out on dates. There's a post currently about a guy who has been "talking with" a girl for 3 months but isn't ready to commit to a date or to be BF/GF. He's lost out because he took too long. I'm betting she was interested in going out, not in becoming his chat buddy.

Of course everyone's experience is different, but nowhere in the rules of dating has it ever said you needed to be their friend first. Sometimes it might work that way, and a lot of times it won't, because of potential confusion for where things stand versus where one party hopes they'd be.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Why does 'friends first' almost never seem to work out?
Because most relationships don't work out.

To find out if 'friends first' is more successful than general dating then you'd have to compare to general dating.

Last edited by filihok; 12-08-2012 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
That is, why is it so rare for a person's feelings for someone to make the leap from "friend" to "potentially more than friend"? I've only ever had it happen once, with my first girlfriend. We started off just hanging out, never really saw it as dating... then she hinted pretty strongly that she liked me more than that, and I did as well, so it kinda took off from there.

But ever since then, it's like that spark never fires. And judging by the posts on here, the same is true for a lot of men and women. What gives?
I cannot speak for women, but I think the reason friends first often fails for men is that most desirable women are being chased by more than one man at any given time. The man who takes his time, who tries to become friends first, will lose his chance. He'll simply be pushed aside by another man who is more aggressive.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post

I've known completely different. I know many couples who are married, and each one met somewhere and started dating. Never a single thought about "friends first".

Likewise, I've known many friends who decided to date eachother, and they broke up within' a few months or less. Some ended hating eachother, and some decided they didn't want to ruin a friendship.

I have never met a couple that started as friends who decided to couple up and lasted more than 5 months. Not 1.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:55 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
friends don't put out

Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
friends don't put out
Some do.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:12 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I cannot speak for women, but I think the reason friends first often fails for men is that most desirable women are being chased by more than one man at any given time. The man who takes his time, who tries to become friends first, will lose his chance. He'll simply be pushed aside by another man who is more aggressive.
A wise man once said: "He who hesitates, masturbates"

Old 12-08-2012, 03:15 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Friends first can definitely work (it's worked for me plenty of times), but it's not the ideal situation....and you really can't bank on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships