Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

So my mom & I were sitting around today & she was listening to some big band music of her day. All of a sudden she started crying & so I asked her what is wrong. Before I finish let me explain something she is 67 & very set on her ways. Her husband died in 94 & she has been alone since that. She's had a couple of chances to be with one or two men but when she got close to them she blew them off. At 67 I she seems regrets it now looking back on her life. We've have talk about regret before & past loves or the one that got away. I believe at some point we all have that fear that we might of missed being with someone because of fear it no working out or for some other reason. I wonder how many people look back & see wish they could to it over again. Before you say that she is still young enough to get out & still be with someone she is adamant about not wanting anyone in her life, I guess she figures at her age what's the point. I will not try & get her to go out if she doesn't want to it's her life but I do feel bad for her not wanting to try. I don't want this is my life personally I can't think of anyone who wants to look back with such regret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 PM

662 posts, read 1,259,480 times
I'm going to guess she was married for 20 years or more,when you were just a peanut.

If that's so well maybe she has lots of great memories..raising you.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:07 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,643 times
As long as you're constantly evaluating your life as you live it, you should not have any regrets.

While I'm only 25, I can still look back at my mistakes. Instead of regretting them, I attribute them to the person I was at the time. Your mistakes (and recognition of those mistakes) allow you to evolve as a person. I wouldn't be who I am today without making the mistakes that I've made.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:12 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I've been with mrs. Chow 20 yrs now... a long time, we got together fairly young, as I'm only in my low 40's, but I think if things don't work out for us, I don't know if I would jump back into a relationship right away.....Not sure to be honest.

Your mom is 67 and her husband has been gone a good while now. She has had chances and choose not to take them. That is the way it goes.

I'm with you, I don't wanna end up alone and full of regrets.... IDK... sometimes life dishes out crap.... the older I get, I can understand people becoming "set in their ways" as you pointed out.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
I'm going to guess she was married for 20 years or more,when you were just a peanut.

If that's so well maybe she has lots of great memories..raising you.
I was already born when she met the guy I talked about above, as far as raising me.. yeah.. not so much.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've been with mrs. Chow 20 yrs now... a long time, we got together fairly young, as I'm only in my low 40's, but I think if things don't work out for us, I don't know if I would jump back into a relationship right away.....Not sure to be honest.
Right there with ya!

Actually, I'm pretty sure I know I wouldn't entertain the thought of another relationship. I wouldn't have the energy or the patience to put up with the dating process and I sure as hell wouldn't be putting myself out there and allow my heart to get stomped on.

I am sure I'd be able to find better things to occupy my time.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
My mother is an exceptionally attractive 65. After her last relationship ended in disaster about 2 years ago, she decided she was done pursuing full-blown relationships. She dates and enjoys it, but it never goes very far.

I'm 36. I had a storybook romance in my 20s that didn't last (my decision), but has been my big love so far. I'm fine with that - I haven't walked away from anything I wish I'd pursued, and I haven't really bungled anything that was going to supplant that relationship I had in my 20s.

Maybe I'll regret not having kids, but I"m not too worried about it.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
There is always enough time to make up for lost time.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 AM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
There is always enough time to make up for lost time.
I disagree. There is no making up for prime years.

I wish I could get some of mine back. That is my one regret in life - staying in a marriage too long when I should have got out sooner. Or better yet, never married her in the first place.

Meeting people either for friends and/or relationships is a lot more difficult when you get older.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:10 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,487 times
I have a few, but I cannot go back and undo them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships