Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Actually - I'm more hard pressed to think of anyone in bad relationship... The few that I know of are now divorced. My parents - great marriage until my father passed away. My husband's parents - over 40 years and they are still lovey dovey with each other. My marriage - awesome! My best friend found someone as crazy and wonderful as she is - and they are very happy together. My other close friends - all happily married. I have one and and one uncle who seem to have rocky marriages - but my other aunts, uncles, and cousins all seem really happy. Most of my friends and I all married in our late 20's- 30's - and everyone seems like they found the person they are supposed tobe with.

Maybe people bother with relationships because they don't know the same people that you do!
Same here. I just went over in my head 4 close friends that are in relationships and 4 couples that I am related to. 7 are solid and the other one may be. No doubt they have had their problems through the years but they seem happy now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,398 times
I'd say about 50% of those I know have good relationships with about another 30% having great ones. The rest are probably content. I don't know of anyone married that I would describe as being unhappy in their relationship...

Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,974 times

Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I'd say about 50% of those I know have good relationships with about another 30% having great ones. The rest are probably content. I don't know of anyone married that I would describe as being unhappy in their relationship...
I would agree with this. In my circle I see probably the same ratio.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Just out of curiosity...

When you consider the romantic relationships of the people around you, how many would you consider 'good' (meaning seem well-suited, no one is miserable, cheating, bitter, etc.) vs. how many would you consider bad?

I quite honestly can't think of a single 'good' relationship. My parents- miserable. All of my siblings- miserable. My friends- miserable. No one in any of the relationships are bad people, but they got married or involved for bad reasons. Mostly thinking the other person would change, I suspect.

I don't really understand why people bother with relationships when everyone I know involved in one is unhappy with their partner. I really, really don't understand why they marry thinking the other person will change.

you said you don't understand why other people bother because of the people you know?

I knew some women that swore they had it great and they got cheated on. So I'm going to assume many of the ones that claim to have it so great are really just getting cheated on like most other women. When men have so many options & access to random women today, I don't see any reason why they would be faithful at all. Cheating/experiencing multiple women for today's men has the 'advantage' of technological sophistication. They could probably pick up hookers in the 1950s, but they couldn't order them online with a click of a button, to the privacy of their homes and hotel rooms....

Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
Quote:
No one in any of the relationships are bad people, but they got married or involved for bad reasons. Mostly thinking the other person would change, I suspect.
So from the outset, your parameters are utterly skewed or your circle of friends/family are in a distinct minority. I don't think I've ever known anyone who married someone thinking they could change them. Maybe people in High School or in their early 20's think this, but very few people with a discerning brain would even entertain the idea. No one changes unless they have the will and desire. People don't change because others demand it.

So of course if you hang with people who get involved or married "for bad reasons," you're going to be surrounded by people in miserable marriages. Doesn't that make sense? Widen your circle of friends to include people who marry because they are compatible, have common interests and like and love each other. Those are the right reasons to marry.

As for the question, I can't answer it. I know I'm happily married, though every relationship has its ups and downs and sometimes I get pissed or sick and tired of my husband. But I never presume to judge other peoples marriages unless both partners are confiding in me and I have inside info from both sides. The only people who know what a marriage is like are the spouses themselves.

But here's a general rule of thumb: if you work with a married person who seems happy, smiles, laughs and has a good time, the chances are, they are happily married. Miserable people generally have a difficult marriage and you can see it etched on their faces. But there are exceptions to this rule, obviously. And anyone who drones on and on about how deliriously happy they are in their marriage, I will guarantee you has issues. I wll exclude honeymooners from this.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I don't see any reason why they would be faithful at all.
Well.............morals for one.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Honourability, Respect, Ethics and Love (for the spouse and their feelings) for 2,3,4 & 5

Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post

"It's easy enough to preach morality on a full belly."

Men have too many options today to remain faithful to one woman for a duration of years. I'm not saying they didn't have options way back when, they always have -- I'm saying in this day and age it makes it virtually impossible that they are going to stay the course with the same woman without straying. As soon as the first opportunity comes along and looks better then the status quo -- forget it.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 AM

Nothing is absolute, there are always exceptions. I'm sorry if you've been hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships