Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times

Advertisements

Should your SO inspire you? Such as should they inspire you do better? Or should you be your own inspiration? I'm not the most educated person here I can admit that but I'm far from stupid. Yet the women I'm seeing tends to inspire me to want to do better she doesn't ask or push but because I see a good future with her I want to push myself to learn & try new things. Even if that thing is be a better person.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,224,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Should your SO inspire you? Such as should they inspire you do better? Or should you be your own inspiration? I'm not the most educated person here I can admit that but I'm far from stupid. Yet the women I'm seeing tends to inspire me to want to do better she doesn't ask or push but because I see a good future with her I want to push myself to learn & try new things.

What say you?
I can honestly say that I've never been inspired by any of the women I've dated. I'm naturally very motivated so I've never really needed motivation from another person.

Paraphrasing Winston Churchill: I've never needed prodding. I am the prod.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:23 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,654 times
My wife inspires me greatly. She's fit, I'm not, when we workout together she's always encouraging. She's a better pool player than I am. She's always encouraging me to do better. There are so many ways she inspires me to be a better person.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Not everyone is a self-starter, though. I have been with both types, and I enjoy the relationship much more when my partner brings SOMETHING to the table.

That's part of being two independent people within a relationship, to me. When you see them doing "their thing," whatever their thing is, it can make you want to be better at whatever YOU do, and it can be part of what attracted you to them in the first place.

When a partner comes home, plops down and basically never has a thought or idea of his own, has to be asked to do anything and never initiates anything, just shows up ... that is like having a child in the house. I'm not even talking about chores necessarily, but even fun stuff. If they never say, "Wanna go check out this new restaurant tomorrow?" It's exhausting to be the person who always comes up with ideas and suggestions, and it's impossible to maintain over the long haul.

It's also very UNattractive.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:30 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Should your SO inspire you? Such as should they inspire you do better? Or should you be your own inspiration? I'm not the most educated person here I can admit that but I'm far from stupid. Yet the women I'm seeing tends to inspire me to want to do better she doesn't ask or push but because I see a good future with her I want to push myself to learn & try new things. Even if that thing is be a better person.

What say you?
I inspired my ex to try sushi and he likes it now.

All I've got.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times
I think everyone should inspire themself, but also, when you find someone who is a good fit, they will inspire you, just by being themself. When you want to be a better person, just cause that other person motivates you, then I think there is real potential in a relationship there.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM

378 posts, read 1,207,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I think everyone should inspire themself, but also, when you find someone who is a good fit, they will inspire you, just by being themself. When you want to be a better person, just cause that other person motivates you, then I think there is real potential in a relationship there.
This echoes my thoughts exactly! My current BF inspires me to be less self centered. He gives a lot of time to charity and I think it is awesome! And he is so good about studying and working hard, that it makes me do better in these areas. And an ex-BF that I was really in love with, inspired me to be a better person just because he thought so highly of me that I never wanted to dissapoint him. I have a big tendancy to be lazy and a little selfish so its good if I have someone that does not have a problem in these areas.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:32 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Relationships do tend to be some what better when you have two people who are lacking in something that the other possess.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
I am inspiration.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Once the infatuation or passionate love wears off, you'll settle back into normalcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships