Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:25 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,741 times

Advertisements

There is an old saying that I once heard when I visited Jamaica "Cousin and Cousin makes good soup." Do you believe that a cousin is not off limits when it comes to relationship? Do you believe that whether it be first cousin or 10th cousin it's still blood relations and should be off limit?
I for one cannot even fathom the idea of being with a relative no matter how distant, but there are quite a few people out there that sees no problem with that.

I knew a guy that got involved with his cousin and they had a child.. He later married someone who is not related in anyway and had children. Now I've always wondered but never dared to ask him, how do you explain to your children that their older brother is their half brother and cousin all rolled up in one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 05:32 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,146 times
It's a little gross........ I like branches in my family tree.

I'm My Own Grandpa
( Lonzo & Oscar )

It sounds funny, I know,
But it really is so,
Oh, I'm my own grandpa.

I'm my own grandpa.
I'm my own grandpa.
It sounds funny, I know,
But it really is so,
Oh, I'm my own grandpa.

Now many, many years ago, when I was twenty-three,
I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be.
This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red.
My father fell in love with her, and soon they, too, were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law and changed my very life,
My daughter was my mother, cause she was my father's wife.
To complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy,
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby then became a brother-in-law to Dad,
And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad.
For if he was my uncle, then that also made him brother
Of the widow's grown-up daughter, who, of course, was my stepmother.

Father's wife then had a son who kept him on the run,
And he became my grandchild, for he was my daughter's son.
My wife is now my mother's mother, and it makes me blue,
Because, although she is my wife, she's my grandmother, too.

Now if my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild,
And everytime I think of it, it nearly drives me wild,
For now I have become the strangest case you ever saw
As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa!

I'm my own grandpa.
I'm my own grandpa.
It sounds funny, I know, but it really is so,
Oh, I'm my own grandpa.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Personally I'm neither for nor against it and, as far as I know, it's not illegal. As a child, my immediate family was very fragmented and to this day I have a bunch of relatives I've never met but these days it's more to do with being thousands of miles away from each other and I HAVE "met" some of them through emails. The point is that many families today ARE fragmented and it's not inconceivable (in fact has been documented) that one might meet and marry someone who turns out to be a cousin or other relative!

The downside is that in some small communities where the gene pool has been diminished through intermarriage borne of isolation, some undesirable genetic traits are obvious while others less obvious can produce serious medical problems.

If a cousin wants to marry a cousin then it would probably be sensible (if they plan on having children) to avail themselves of all the genetic testing available these days in order to rule out passing down a potentially lethal combination. Cheers!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:36 AM

223 posts, read 694,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The downside is that in some small communities where the gene pool has been diminished through intermarriage borne of isolation, some undesirable genetic traits are obvious while others less obvious can produce serious medical problems.
This happened with some european royal families, also... To preserve the blood line or some such thing.
I cannot fathom the idea either, but as was said, Large families are fragmented, so your husband/wife could be related to you by blood and you dont know it.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Heres a brief but true story:
I know someone who started liking a guy in high school. They would have lunch hr together, walk to class together, they overall had a lot of fun together in school. They would talk on the phone, yet somehow things just didnt feel right, to go any further. And they were both okay with that.
Till one day, they were having lunch and somehow the topic of family came up. They began discussing family members (they both had a stepdad so of course, they had different last names). It turns out, some famaliar names came out, names which were members of both the kids. After awhile, they discovered they were cousins (by the moms' marriages)! They were related. They were beginning to like each other a lot but that wierd 'feeling' (you know, how when you may subconciously sense something?) kept them from doing so. Though not related by blood, they are still cousins and despite that both have moved on over the years, they still talk and keep in touch, occaisionally remembering the high school days, lol.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, I'm pretty sure Jerry Springer has covered this subject many times

Old 10-16-2007, 08:04 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Lol Road!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 AM

558 posts, read 2,248,820 times
Kissing Cousins?....maybe it depends on how well your cousin kisses..

OOPS - did I just say that???!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:40 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
My kids have some friends in school that play something they call the Mennonite game. When they meet new Mennonites, they try to figure out how they are related to each other. It would be funny if it wasn't true.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
In some cultures it's considered normal to marry a cousin.

Worse yet, there was a story recently about these two people somewhere in Asia, who have been married for 20 years, with kids, and they found out after all of these years they were brother and sister! OUCH!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships