Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:44 PM

663 posts, read 781,005 times

Advertisements

Alot of people say stuff like "first impressions matter"

Anybody can show their best on their first date...

Dress really fancy, be really sweet and caring, go to a really nice restaurant, have really good manners, blahblah

but then revert back to their old self after a series of dating...

So then what is the point of a first impression? A facade? A fake heaven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 11:47 PM

Let's take this quote for analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I agree. After reading more details, this guy doesn't sound too great--for a date.

The 1st date, he's late. Bad impression.
You bought the tickets, which means you paid for him on that. Then at dinner, he didn't offer to pay, since you did buy tickets and wait on him for his tardiness.
Then this date, he takes you someplace that's free, then doesn't pay for your food afterward-cheap as it was, it's the gesture more than anything.

SO, tell him you can be friends--if you wanna be nice.

But if you wanna be honest, tell him he didn't leave a good impression on the last 2 dates. lol

A guy who is normally late, could actually "fake" it on the first date and arrive really early. What point does that serve to you? He just fooled you into thinking he is a little more perfect than what he really is.

A guy who is normally cheap, could actually "fake" it on the first date and go to a really expensive restaurant. He just fooled you again.

"First impressions matter"...you are just encouraging people to fake it in the first few dates and then revert back to their lazy self.

For me, I'd rather see the girl upfront who she is....not this fake first impression nonsense.

I'd love it if all girls acted how they are normally on to their friends on the first dates except they rarely do.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:01 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,026,623 times
First impressions matter, but they are not the only thing that matters.

Sure, some people are polite and considerate at first and it does not last. Once their partner figures out the change is permanent, they get dumped.

Other people are rude from the beginning. Their date feels insulted and dumps them.

There is a third option: Be a good person all the time, or as good as you can manage.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,438,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
what is the point of a first impression? A facade? A fake heaven?
Which is why.. people say take it slow.

I understand no one's perfect. But, if a person's a genuine dick, they can show that by not really caring to make a positive first-impression, which is okay too if it jives with the other individual in mind.

You're right, some people know how to put an act up for months, and then their true selves show through once they're married and settled in.

But, usually if someone matters to us, we do respect their feelings enough to be a bit more genuine, considerate and show we do care how they feel or think. That's all a part of building rapport and trust is to 'show up' on a date.

Sometimes, most times, I find meeting someone casually takes off the pressure from having to put up a contrived notion of the redundant routine of conventional dating.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:03 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,971,856 times
in my opinion first impressions dont matter. that said many people base their responses on first impressions, which then colors the relationship. the only time that firs impressions really matter is when you are being interviewed for a job. you are not there for very long so you need to put your best foot forward. but for dating, you need to put up enough of a good first impression to move from the meet and greet stage, to the real date stage.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
First impressions matter, but they are not the only thing that matters.

Sure, some people are polite and considerate at first and it does not last. Once their partner figures out the change is permanent, they get dumped.

Other people are rude from the beginning. Their date feels insulted and dumps them.

There is a third option: Be a good person all the time, or as good as you can manage.
No one is perfect. Everyone has their peeves which they temporarily hide for the first impression.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:18 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,665,829 times
You take it one step at a time, getting to know each other over a period of time as you see more and more of each other. But if the very first time you meet someone, you make a bad impression, you're probably not going to get a chance to make a good second impression. Making a good first impression is just the start, but at least it shows the other person that you're capable of conducting yourself in an acceptable manner, and perhaps worth investing a second date.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:27 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,400,759 times
Why ?

Excerpt from Daniel Kahneman's 2011 book "Thinking, Fast and Slow"
Quote:
pg.83: "The sequence in which we observe characteristics of a person is often determined by chance. Sequence matters, however, because the halo effect increases the weight of first impressions, sometimes to the point that subsequent information is mostly wasted."
On a less intellectual level, I agree that it's a tough choice trying to balance being "authentic" (and imperfect) with "the best version" of oneself,
when first meeting new person (in hopes of being sufficiently appealing such that said person will choose to hang out with you again).

I attempt to "keep it real" so I'm not setting someone up for later disappointment (though at times, it can't be prevented)-
yet it's hard to fight against the desire to keep the interaction as pleasant, smooth, agreeable (and not overly complex) as possible.
It takes guts to recognize/own up to one's limitations, when there are so many folks (against whom one's competing for potential partners) who pretend to be flawless (at least, at first).

Old 07-11-2014, 01:04 AM

37,789 posts, read 46,297,264 times
Quote:

Dress really fancy, be really sweet and caring, go to a really nice restaurant, have really good manners, blahblah

Because the first impression is what a person really makes his judgement of you on. And yes, EVERYONE judges, especially on a first impression. Anyone that says they don't, is lying. When you first meet a person, he makes a judgment about you in about four seconds, and his judgment is finalized largely within 30 seconds of the initial contact.

Have you ever read the book "Blink"? If not, pick it up. You need to read it.

And read this.
The Power of a First Impression | Psych Central News

Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 AM
SF

286 posts, read 326,326 times
Quote:

Yes first impression does matter. It's important however it should also be the true impression and not a lie.

I agree that people can easily pretend and lie on their first dates, it shouldn't be done but it's unfortunate it happens.

So yes first impression is the lasting impression. In my view I would better have a bad *first* impression but which is truthful rather then a good *first* impression that is a lie

First impression should also be a true impression
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships