Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date a guy that played video games?
Yes, I would it does not bother me. 35 64.81%
No, I wouldn't because it is too childish 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:02 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
God bless your husband.
I'll pray for you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 11:02 PM

681 posts, read 618,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
[/color]

The game is a little guy that drives around in a jeep. He has to go uphill and downhill without flipping his jeep or he breaks his neck. I'm not sure what it's called...I'll have to look on his tablet.

It's a kiddie game.

When he's sitting playing and I'm busy, the phone is ringing, the kids are needing help with something, the dog is ringing the bell to go outside..etc. then yes, it kind of drives me crazy. If he plays it on his time when he has no other responsibilities to tend to, then he can play to his hearts content.

The games you listed we DO play as a family. Those games are interactive with other people (social) and they require you actually use your brain. His little jeep game, not so much.

Now, I would NEVER smack his tablet out of his hand. I'm not a violent person, but it just irritates the heck out of me when he's in lala land because of that game.
Hey maybe he likes the violence. I have played stair dismount which I recommend for you if you start to get aggravated at your husband again. As for you house, it sounds like you got a handful there..and the dog rings a bell? haha That's funny.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
Is that really a gender issue? It's not like most male characters in videogames are exactly "realistic depictions" of men either

I dunno too many men walking around who are 6'7 400 LB killing machines like the guys in Gears of War
Absolutely agreed, but it doesn't seem like the women gamers are demanding men that look like that, nor are men putting pressure on each other or themselves to look like that, especially considering when you're playing a FPS you're not even seeing the character itself.

If you're involved in gamer culture at all, there are a ton of articles out there written about how poorly women gamers are treated and how women are treated differently in games themselves. Is there a male version of Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball?

Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,970 times
When we met, I let my wife know I was a gamer. She told me she wasn't, but she sure spent a lot of time on Farmville and other FB games. Then one day I was playing L.A. Noire and she walked in and said "Is that Grand Theft Auto?" I told her it wasn't but it was built using the Rockstar engine. I started quizzing her and she confessed to having a PS/2 when she was younger, but she'd quit gaming because grownups didn't play games. I bought her Skylanders for the 360. Then she decided to play a grownup game and started playing Red Dead Redemption. For a wedding present I bought her a new iPad (third generation) and now I think she games more than I do!

Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,132,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Absolutely agreed, but it doesn't seem like the women gamers are demanding men that look like that, nor are men putting pressure on each other or themselves to look like that, especially considering when you're playing a FPS you're not even seeing the character itself.

If you're involved in gamer culture at all, there are a ton of articles out there written about how poorly women gamers are treated and how women are treated differently in games themselves. Is there a male version of Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball?
Your post reminded me about the open letter that Aisha Tyler wrote to the male gamer community.

Edit: Found it. Here

Old 12-23-2012, 11:08 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
Hey maybe he likes the violence. I have played stair dismount which I recommend for you if you start to get aggravated at your husband again. As for you house, it sounds like you got a handful there..and the dog rings a bell? haha That's funny.
Well it's not always like that in our house. We have our calm moments too. lol
It's not like he plays his little game often, but when he's out in lala land it drives me bonkers.

Hill Climb Racing...that's the game.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...illclimb&hl=en

I played it once. You do the same thing over and over, I just don't have the patience for it.

And yes, I trained the dog to ring a bell when he has to go out

Old 12-23-2012, 11:10 PM

681 posts, read 618,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
Remind me to never play my favorite games in front of girls

dude those are gruesome haha love the space one though.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:10 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,970 times
Quote:

I just got done playing the Halo 4 campaign with my oldest son. One of the things I struggled with was Cortana. As a guy, I loved it. She's beautiful and has a smoking hot body. As a gamer who believes women should be portrayed as more than sex objects in video games (Gears of War III's Anya or Samantha?) Cortana horrified me.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,679,072 times
Quote:

99% of male characters in games are depicted as perfect, chiseled, hyper masculine beasts who have completely inhuman characteristics in all areas. I mean the men of gears of war are basically pro bodybuilders, pro football players (in terms of their athleticism) and master assassins/marksmen with every damn weapon known to mankind

I don't think it's an issue with the game industry in itself because it tends to show a very exaggerated view of everything (in this case, both men and women). I do think what you're talking about is an issue, but that's primarily because of the fans' interpretation and attitudes. Anybody who looks at videogames and believes that women should look or act that way is socially retarded/delusional

Old 12-23-2012, 11:15 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,679,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
dude those are gruesome haha love the space one though.

Deadspace 1/2 = greatest horror games ever

If you love some brutal gory horror, you need to get your hands on those games ASAP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships