Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times

Advertisements

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them - Oprah's Lifeclass - Oprah Winfrey Network - YouTube

Some may joke, "If you love it so much... why don't you marry it??" hahaha

Guess what? I would if I could.

This life lesson blows my mind to the point where I sat for an hour or two just thinking back on my entire life and where people showed me exactly who they were.

How many of you have heard this advice before and found it to be true?

I feel so peaceful, so refreshed. Because I know it's the honest-to-God truth. And I've shed a lot of tears over the past few days thinking back on how I let people hurt me. It was only their fault, in the very beginning. After that though, it was MINE. All mine. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Old saying but so, so true.

I am so excited to put this into practice for the first time this new year.

Anyone have any stories to share about when you learned this lesson in your life?

It's such great and freeing advice, because it's not about a way to fix a problem. It's a lesson about a problem that never had to exist in the first place. And will rarely, if ever, has to exist in your life again, if you so choose.

I'd be willing to bet that half of the threads in the Relationship Forum wouldn't have had to have been created, if the people had learned this life lesson first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
YES...best life lesson ever!!!

AND..I will also say that unfortunately I still don't LISTEN! LMAO

I'm one of those that need to be shown repeatedly before I actually believe it, but I'd save myself a lot of time and frustration if I just believed it the first time. I give too many people too many chances that they do not deserve.

Maybe that will be my New Years Resolution this year....when people show me who they are, I will believe them the FIRST time.

Life is a process, I'm learning!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Good advice but it killed me to listen to Oprah.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
I think we want to fix people so ignore those signs.
There is a fantasy world many live in, trying to build something different out of the person in front of us, when we are having enough trouble trying to build something out of the one in the mirror .
The slightest dishonesty in either case , makes relationship all the more complicated ,and I can tell you from personal expirence , men generally, do not like nor are comfortable in complicated realtionships .
The more fantasy and drama one brings to the table simply drives a man out . Even if he is putting up with it externally, his heart is moving away . Unless it is his fantasy she hasn't fit to yet.
rant over,

Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
YES...best life lesson ever!!!

AND..I will also say that unfortunately I still don't LISTEN! LMAO

I'm one of those that need to be shown repeatedly before I actually believe it, but I'd save myself a lot of time and frustration if I just believed it the first time. I give too many people too many chances that they do not deserve.
I cringe at all the relationships I've had like that. My last boyfriend for example. Oh my God. Looking back, armed with this new piece of wisdom, that mess was doomed from MINUTE ONE!

It's so clear now. He could've been a halfway decent casual friend. I should have just left it at that. But nope. I was in denial pretty much from the day we were introduced. So ridiculous looking back. I even remember how it made me FEEL at the time. What did I think that big knot in my stomach was supposed to mean? LOL

Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I think we want to fix people so ignore those signs.
There is a fantasy world many live in, trying to build something different out of the person in front of us, when we are having enough trouble trying to build something out of the one in the mirror .
Definitely.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
I cringe at all the relationships I've had like that.
HAhaha...yup! It's always funny how CLEAR things are when you aren't in the thick of it. I look back on some relationships I've had (friends or otherwise) and think DUHHHhhhh!!!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:43 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Yet another instance when I come to the realization how fortunate I have been in my life with regard to relationships. Or maybe, this is just an innate lesson I have always known, I'm not sure.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
It's hard when they are smoking hot.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
It's been my mantra for the past 20+ years, it's served me well, even if I've slipped up a time or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships