Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 AM

142 posts, read 394,729 times

Advertisements

I finally decided to step outside of the box and give the 'nice guy' a chance only to find myself miserable and low on his priorities.

I'm single, attractive, in my 30's and I am an internist. I don't have kids, my work schedule is better than most physician and I have plenty of free time to dedicate to a relationship but apparently all this isn't enough for some guys. I have the worse luck with men. I have even lower my standards to dating a guy who I found out a few weeks into the relationship still lived at home with mom, dad, siblings and one of his sibling live in boyfriend. He is short at 5'7'' and plays in a band on the weekends. His daytime job is banking. I was willing to see pass the height issues and was glad he had a full time job and even though it bothered me at first that he lived at home, I got over this. What I refused to accept was continuing 'dating him' which to him meant spending a few hours a week with me and refusing to spend the night because he had family things to do, or had to be at band practice or "insert another excuse" After two month of that I told him he wasn't boyfriend material and wasn't making any effort to proof he wanted a real relationship.
My male friends told me that I should never had even bothered offering to split the restaurant bills with him. I personally felt that it was the fair thing to do since I work and can pay for my own meals. This didn't bother me at first but when things started to go down hill it started to bother me as none of my previous dates accepted my offer to pay my share. I guess I was just pissed off at the guy by then.

Anyways, so my attempt to give the so called Mr. Average Nice guy didn't pay off. He was no better than the previous bad dates I had but on some level just left me jaded more so than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 AM

227 posts, read 420,463 times
Honestly, most women in your position just marry other doctors or white collar professionals. Don't lower your "standards" because eventually you will resent the man more than anything.How old is this man BTW?

Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonakki View Post
I finally decided to step outside of the box and give the 'nice guy' a chance only to find myself miserable and low on his priorities.

I'm single, attractive, in my 30's and I am an internist. I don't have kids, my work schedule is better than most physician and I have plenty of free time to dedicate to a relationship but apparently all this isn't enough for some guys. I have the worse luck with men. I have even lower my standards to dating a guy who I found out a few weeks into the relationship still lived at home with mom, dad, siblings and one of his sibling live in boyfriend. He is short at 5'7'' and plays in a band on the weekends. His daytime job is banking. I was willing to see pass the height issues and was glad he had a full time job and even though it bothered me at first that he lived at home, I got over this. What I refused to accept was continuing 'dating him' which to him meant spending a few hours a week with me and refusing to spend the night because he had family things to do, or had to be at band practice or "insert another excuse" After two month of that I told him he wasn't boyfriend material and wasn't making any effort to proof he wanted a real relationship.
My male friends told me that I should never had even bothered offering to split the restaurant bills with him. I personally felt that it was the fair thing to do since I work and can pay for my own meals. This didn't bother me at first but when things started to go down hill it started to bother me as none of my previous dates accepted my offer to pay my share. I guess I was just pissed off at the guy by then.

Anyways, so my attempt to give the so called Mr. Average Nice guy didn't pay off. He was no better than the previous bad dates I had but on some level just left me jaded more so than others.
A few reasons why you are still single:

*You complain this entire time about "lowering" your standards, yet you were the one who willingly lowered them. You knew up front this man lived at home (yet you give us no reason, is he in a financial pinch, is his mother terminally ill, do his parents need help with expenses, or is he just not willing to grow up)?
*You list his height as an issue. This is not an issue. This is you seeing something petty and physical as an issue. This guy was doomed from the beginning. You should have said in your head "thanks but no thanks, i'm not into shorter guys" and moved on.
*Paying for half of your meals has nothing to do with this. I'm sick of seeing this paying half and half crud on this forum.
*He seemed to not want a relationship. I'm surprised it took you more than a few weeks to see this.
*You seem to enjoy the struggle that these relationships used to give you.
*You aren't dating men who live outside of their home.
*You mention his job and your job. Are you only into men with certain jobs? Just asking since you mentioned it, so it must be relevant.

How you can find a man you are interested in:
*Only date men you have a physical attraction to.
*Only date men who see you more than a few hours.
*Only date men who pay for you/don't pay for you, do whatever you think a man should.
*Change your definition of "Mr. Nice Guy" because I really don't understand what you mean by this definition. . Nothing you posted here is remotely definitive to this.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
We see this situation a lot here in NYC where there is a surplus of single women in their 30s and older. I think you have to be careful with the way you think about men now. It is easy to look at a man as being a bit "beneath" you due to superficial qualities (like height) and that you are being very magnanimous for dating him as such it will be easier to get a commitment from him. As you now see, that isn't the case. This guy had no interest in commitment (maybe with you in particular or maybe he doesn't want to commit to anyone) and men like this come in all types of packages. There probably was a sign about how far your relationship would go in the beginning, but you didn't pay enough attention to it. I have been the exact same situation, not paying attention to the obvious message! You live you learn, all you can do is move on and know what to look for next time.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Sounds like this guys's problem has little to do with him being a nice guy.

He either honestly did not have the time (which I doubt) or he did not want to make the time (which I believe is the likely situation).

Any guy who is into you, and desires a relationship, is going to prioritize making time and putting effort into seeing you and building a relationship. So good job at dumping this guy, because he did not meet these qualification!

Best of luck and keep trying!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
What exactly does this have to do with the "nice guy" thing? Are you a troll?

It sounds like you dated, at best, a guy currently down on his luck or at worst, a manchild. But I don't understand why you are trashing this guy by saying you "lower(ed) your standards" by dating him.

Are you saying that you see "nice guys" as beneath you or that as an internist, you are dating below your league by being involved with a banker?

And what's with the "short" jab? You were either attracted to him or not.

Are you upset he had a life outside the relationship? Sounds like you may be a little bitter that someone "beneath" you wasn't at your beck and call 24/7. In other words you sound full of yourself.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonakki View Post

you sound like a real catch

enjoy being single!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Obvious troll, this OP covers everything that people on this site cry about or use as an excuse.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Obvious troll, this OP covers everything that people on this site cry about or use as an excuse.
I don't think so - the OP has several "frustrating dater" threads spanning a couple of years.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:27 AM

87 posts, read 147,281 times
I would not settle. It is better being alone than with somebody you don't (can't) fully respect. I would listen cloesly to my gut and pay attention to how somebody makes me feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships