Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Not to mention all the financial issues. Many people don't realize that if they marry someone the money will affect them. In many cases the stepparents get stuck paying child support or alimony. Even if that doesn't happen the money loss to the household will affect the new stepparent and in many states the parents might pay more because the new spouse makes a lot.
This is baloney. At best, it is an extremely rare corner case depending on specific situations.
The amount of CS and SS is based strictly on the payer's income which is not combined with their new spouse's income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
This is baloney. At best, it is an extremely rare corner case depending on specific situations.
The amount of CS and SS is based strictly on the payer's income which is not combined with their new spouse's income.
It is true. Many stepparents do get stuck paying or their spouses pay more because of their salary. Just one article: http://info.legalzoom.com/legal-obli...ois-21592.html

Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
But it would never be my family, it would always be his other family.

I think most people consider their spouses family to be family. Not everyone, but most.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:44 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Now this is true and allow me to elaborate. A step parent isn't liable for anything. While there are variations when settling, typically when it comes to money child support is until 18 and if a woman remarries she no longer qualifies for alimony. (Men as well).

The other thing, and I repeat with dread. Who ever pays alimony can deducted it from their tax return and the person on the receiving end has to pay taxes - money she most likely paid taxes on already.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think most people consider their spouses family to be family. Not everyone, but most.
But his ex-wife and his kids would be from his other family. To me it's not the same as his parents, siblings, etc.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Now this is true and allow me to elaborate. A step parent isn't liable for anything. While there are variations when settling, typically when it comes to money child support is until 18 and if a woman remarries she no longer qualifies for alimony. (Men as well).

The other thing, and I repeat with dread. Who ever pays alimony can deducted it from their tax return and the person on the receiving end has to pay taxes - money she most likely paid taxes on already.
It's NOT true. In Illinois they can go after the parent and have him/her pay more if the new spouse makes more. There is also a bill they are trying to pass where stepparents in certain cases will pay child support after the marriage or even the relationship breaks up.

In Illinois, courts may now consider income of a parent's new spouse on an equitable basis when determining child support. In Illinois and similarly-minded states, courts are no longer required to ignore financial resources contributed by a new spousehttp://www.attorneys.com/child-suppo...ousal-support/

Old 05-19-2014, 03:14 PM

240 posts, read 240,281 times
Quote:
It's NOT true. In Illinois they can go after the parent and have him/her pay more if the new spouse makes more. There is also a bill they are trying to pass where stepparents in certain cases will pay child support after the marriage or even the relationship breaks up.

In Illinois, courts may now consider income of a parent's new spouse on an equitable basis when determining child support. In Illinois and similarly-minded states, courts are no longer required to ignore financial resources contributed by a new spouseImpacts of Remarriage on Child and Spousal Support - Attorneys.com

What a completely ridiculous law.

The incentives for men to get married, especially to a single mother, just keep piling up. /sarc

Old 05-19-2014, 03:22 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,613 times
1) Ex always in the picture
2) Financially caring for someone else's spawn
3) Will never be #1 in their life
4) I want my own family
5) Resentment/disrespect for not being the "real dad" from the kid

I'm sure I can think of a few more reasons.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:33 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post

Also, on my local POF, there are at least a couple of women who are under 30 and have 4 (!!!) children, and there ad title is something to the effect of "tired of lies and games," or "where are all the good men???!?!?!"

Meh...I'll pass on those, too.

What does having X number of kids have to do with the quote above? I am 29, and I have three kids fathered by my first husband, whom I was married to for a decade. So, what, exactly, are you implying here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post
You're right, the idea is accurate. But then the question becomes, why would a man, all things being equal, want to date her?
Perhaps she has certain, desirable qualities and attributes that other women, with or without children, do not possess?

Quote:
I think dating single mothers is for guys with fewer options. Because, again, given the choice between kids/no kids....a single guy with no kids will pick the childless woman almost every time.
Or, it's for the men who are attracted to a particular woman who happens to have children. I don't particularly define myself based on my role of being a parent.

My current husband, 35 and childless, had options. He's very good-looking, smart, educated, charming, etc., and guess what? He married me, and I was a divorced mother of three.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:38 PM

240 posts, read 240,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

What does having X number of kids have to do with the quote above? I am 29, and I have three kids fathered by my first husband, whom I was married to for a decade. So, what, exactly, are you implying here?

Perhaps she has certain, desirable qualities and attributes that other women, with or without children, do not possess?

Or, it's for the men who are attracted to a particular woman who happens to have children. I don't particularly define myself based on my role of being a parent.

My current husband, 35 and childless, had options. He's very good-looking, smart, educated, charming, etc., and guess what? He married me, and I was a divorced mother of three.
Three or four kids is a hell of a lot for a guy to take on. A lot of them won't want to, and I agree with them. YMMV.

Sorry, I don't believe in super duper special snowflakes (or "unicorns" as they're called elsewhere on the web). People are people, there is no woman with qualities and attributes desirable enough for me to want to get into a 3 or 4-child situation.

Well, there's no telling why your SO sold himself so short, only he can answer that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships