Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,026,106 times

Advertisements

Too much hassle. If you date a single parent, you will never be on the same level of love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,682,036 times
Well I would never date a person with kids. A long term relationship is very likely not to succeed. This is based on statistics. If you add other peoples kids to that then the relationship is doomed from the start. There may be rare exceptions but in most cases the kids will go to extreme to destroy the relationship.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 AM

45 posts, read 45,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Too much hassle. If you date a single parent, you will never be on the same level of love.
Very much this. From my experience (which I posted about a while back somewhere on here) I wasn't treated like a equal, more or less as an employee. It got worse after my topic, but that is a story for another time.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:11 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,430,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
What I never get are parents who will not date other parents. I had so many dads try to date me because they don't date single moms. Why would they think I'd want them?
I don't get it either. I personally think they're deranged. I can't imagine dating someone who wouldn't date people like themselves.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:49 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,630,219 times
It depends on the circumstances IMO. IF she my age and has three kids by three different guys NO WAY IN HELL .

Old 05-21-2014, 08:07 AM

11 posts, read 10,600 times
I wouldn't date a single dad, I had the opportunity to date one a few months ago but it's always the ex that I think of. Is there any lingering feelings on either side? How did it end? Who's fault was it and is there any resentment left from it? Stuff like that. Other than that, I don't like children.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:11 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,776,171 times
I am curious about something. Except for online dating (where they ask "how many kids" in your profile), no one has ever asked me if I am a single mom before dating. I suppose it might not matter to those men and that's why they didn't ask. But for those of you who won't date single parents, do you even ask first or just find out later? And what do you do if you ask later, but then really like the person you are dating?

EDIT: The post below mine got me thinking... I wonder if part of this is an age thing too. Most of the men I am dating are like me, divorced, and also have kids. Seems like the whole having kids is more of an issue for men who have never been married and haven't had kids of their own yet. So maybe that's why it never really comes up until after we start the date (and then it's usually us talking about each of our kids).

Last edited by jillabean; 05-21-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM

708 posts, read 819,422 times
I wouldn't date a single mom either. As crude as it sounds and on a very raw level, them already having a child is verification that another man has not only planted his seed but taken it to the very highest next level.

As a man, particularly if one wanted to have his own children, a woman that already has a child (to me), on a purely biological level is the ultimate turn off.

Now on an emotional and relationship based level there is simply no benefit to going out with or being with a single mom when I can just be with a completely single woman. There is also very often an ex husband hanging around whether either of you like it or not.

I was pursued very aggressively by a single mom some time ago but she found it very hard to believe my stance. Her ex husband was always hanging around creating drama and she kept on trying to get me involved with her kids.

She also made it very clear concerning her sexual talents but after she noticed I wouldn't go there, her makeup, nice hair styles, cleavage, leather boots and anything else aesthetically pleasing quickly vanished. She even admitted that there was no longer any point bothering because it wasn't working on me.

Think about that for a second and realise what it means in the long term.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:21 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,335,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post
Three or four kids is a hell of a lot for a guy to take on. A lot of them won't want to, and I agree with them. YMMV.

Sorry, I don't believe in super duper special snowflakes (or "unicorns" as they're called elsewhere on the web). People are people, there is no woman with qualities and attributes desirable enough for me to want to get into a 3 or 4-child situation.
Aha. Emphasis on "for me." Your personal preference is your own. I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about a random individual's preference. The above applies to you, but it doesn't apply to all others. When you apply your personal preference to a certain number of people is where it becomes erroneous.

I can say I don't see the attraction to men who don't fall into X or Y category. I like "free-thinking," educated, intellectual, artistic, and nerdy/geek men with very specific interests. But it would be erroneous to claim that a good chunk of women or even "other women" feel the way I do. It would be erroneous because it is simply untrue without knowing their preferences. Since I don't know what all or even most women like then I can't make a claim based on assumptions.

Quote:
Well, there's no telling why your SO sold himself so short, only he can answer that.
It simply could be that he didn't sell himself short. You see a partner's child(ren) as a burden or obstacle that shouldn't be tackled. You falsely assume that all or even most men feel the way you do. Such is fallacious.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,335,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
It's a multilayered problem. The end goal of dating is relationships. suddenly throwing a random guy in to the household and saying "here is your new not daddy kids!" Doesn't work very well.

Marriage is just a legal definition attached, it's not what defines long term commitment.
Yeah... no. This situation is very unfamiliar to me. It wasn't done in my parents' situations when they remarried or any other relative, and certainly not the situation when I remarried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Why would kids need a new daddy when they already have one? Unless you are talking about women who got pregnant and don't know who the father was... or a deadbeat dad who abandoned his own child. But most fathers aren't like that. Most fathers are good men and love their kids and stick around.
+1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships