Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,109 times

Advertisements

6th time this has happened with online dating (4th for the girl contacting me first).

The girl makes a general comment / introduction, but then doesn't ask much of anything else about me during the course of the conversation. Meanwhile, I'll ask some about them, what they do, interests etc, which they respond to, but then they don't ask anything in return. Not even "what about you?"

I can get it if the girl isn't interested, but come on, if you reach out first to me, be able to hold a freaking conversation.

Also, fill out something about yourself in your profile. Not what you're looking for. About yourself. I could care less if you are looking for a "nice guy who doesn't play games." Good for you. Who are you though? Do you have any interests besides nice guys? Hobbies? Guess not.

/end rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM

491 posts, read 569,493 times
They get flooded with emails so they pick the ones they like and ignore the rest. Hell thats what I would do if I was getting spammed with introductions on a date site. It's not fair but thats life.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:55 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
They can...

They simply chose not do so in your case because a better catch came swimming along.

Instead of focusing on the fisher(woman), focus on being a tastier looking tuna.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
6th time this has happened with online dating (4th for the girl contacting me first).

The girl makes a general comment / introduction, but then doesn't ask much of anything else about me during the course of the conversation. Meanwhile, I'll ask some about them, what they do, interests etc, which they respond to, but then they don't ask anything in return. Not even "what about you?"

/end rant.
Yeah, that's not a trait exclusive to women. There are plenty of guys who do the exact same thing. Generally if a guy respond more than once with a response that doesn't lend itself to conversation I just stop talking and if they can't figure it out I move on.

And yes, it's annoying.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
I don't have much to say. Do you wanna talk now?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Yeah, that's not a trait exclusive to women. There are plenty of guys who do the exact same thing. Generally if a guy respond more than once with a response that doesn't lend itself to conversation I just stop talking and if they can't figure it out I move on.

And yes, it's annoying.
There are guys that do but I think he's referring to the average man and woman. You can't deny woman getting way more emails on average than men which is why you get so many threads from men about women not replying. They don't reply because they only choose the best emails to reply to. Unfortunately that usually means there are other women replying to the same guy which means he's doing the same thing as you now. After all you don't talk to just any old man right? I'm sure you have standards which is fine.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBomb View Post
There are guys that do but I think he's referring to the average man and woman. You can't deny woman getting way more emails on average than men which is why you get so many threads from men about women not replying. They don't reply because they only choose the best emails to reply to. Unfortunately that usually means there are other women replying to the same guy which means he's doing the same thing as you now. After all you don't talk to just any old man right? I'm sure you have standards which is fine.
Well, when 90% of the messages you receive are one word, or something nonsensical like 'Hey grl, sup' you're probably going to ignore most of what you received.

And before it comes up, I don't care how 'hot' the guy is, I've never responded to a message like that.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I don't have much to say. Do you wanna talk now?
Sure.

Hi Raena,

I saw you liked Keanu Reeves -- what's your favorite movie he's been in? I'm a pretty big fan of the Matrix series myself, although I did like "The day the Earth Stood Still" as well.

How long have you been in PA for? My great Aunt used to live in Scranton, and at least that area seemed really pretty--especially in the fall!

Anyways, hope you're doing well

Brandon

I mean, that's not bad for an introduction, is it?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Hey I feel the same way. I had a guy message me an say, "your profile was really interesting , I feel like I know you already. I have no questions, but what do you want to ask me."

Meanwhile his profile was like "I am tired of playing the field, I am looking for the one, and right now I am decided whether to go to grad school or do something else." No interests. No hobbies....I was really at a loss for what to ask.....

Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, when 90% of the messages you receive are one word, or something nonsensical like 'Hey grl, sup' you're probably going to ignore most of what you received.

And before it comes up, I don't care how 'hot' the guy is, I've never responded to a message like that.
Lol thats because he's playing the numbers game to see who will respond. Your strategy is fine since I assume it weeds out the 'fishermen'. If someone catches your interest you will respond. If not then delete and move on. I wish men would stop taking it so personal or better yet, quit emailing every single female you see. Or heck just sit there and wait for a woman to talk to him first. Equal opportunity right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships