Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times

Advertisements

I asked a guy relative why he wants to marry and he said to find his other half to share his life. He said nothing about finding a woman to cater to him and he's not obsessed with looks. He said deep down most guys want it, but some pretend they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I asked a guy relative why he wants to marry and he said to find his other half to share his life. He said nothing about finding a woman to cater to him and he's not obsessed with looks. He said deep down most guys want it, but some pretend they don't.
This sounds like a guy who has a good chance of having a successful marriage, once he finds the girl. It sounds like he has his priorities straight--how refreshing!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I wonder how it would affect men and women in the US, if marriage was "revenue neutral" from a tax and inheritance standpoint; every state required joint custody of children after a divorce, except in exceptional cases; child support was negligible and alimony did not exist for all intents and purposes?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
To blame "all these single mothers" on men is patently absurd.

I didn't blame all of the single mothers walking the earth on men, so try again.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Newsflash: Most men are with zero or one woman. I know very few guys who have a revolving door, and most of the time that "door" is easily broken when they find the right woman.

Newsflash: Good for the men you know. What the h*ll am I supposed to do with that? Nothing really. You and I aren't the same person.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy316 View Post
Besides your last paragraph, this post is very wrong.

Here's some advice: stop reading things off of internet sites and go out and actually talk to women.
More details wouldn't hurt. I don't know how you can disagree with the obvious. Women seek comfort and security in different places, dominant alpha males (for younger ones) or "providers" (for more "mature"). Definitions of "comfort" mushroomed in the past 60 years though, to the point of marriage being a second job for a man who must comfort his mate in every way imaginable to (temporary) secure her company. Yet as in the olden times "comfort" without financial security doesn't count for much. Man's job (or lack of it) and income are very important for the modern independent breed of women. Even if she's not planning on living off man' largess, a man must have appropriate (to her likings) job and status. It doesn't matter how little/much she makes, she almost always marries up Wanna argue with that?

It's a brutal essence of life, woman (on the average) gets the highest status man her looks can attract (do you frequently see a bbw marrying a rich guy?). Men marry the hottest/prettiest women that their status/wealth can attract. It's society specific, of course, in more poverty egalitarian society of Russia there are plenty of exceptions to this rule (since relative poverty base is so broad). In the stratified status centered American society, this rule is absolutely merciless. That's another reason why men should not marry young and work their arses off on a (lucrative) career and $ accumulation. The more they work (and age) the more they have of the stuff that women really want

Last edited by RememberMee; 01-04-2013 at 06:37 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,607 times
All this talk about single moms makes me wonder if any of the posters know any. I'd bet not. As a property manager who is a good listener and patient with his tenants, I do know some. Firstly, in my experience the women are younger so they Chase the men younger women Chase. I am not speaking of alphas/bad boys here but guys that cause them to feel attraction. consciously they know they guy is a jackass but because all the right attraction buttons were pressed figuratively speaking she sleeps with him while hoping she can change him. Unfortunately these guys will not change. Next the woman in question realizes she is pregnant. the man in question refuses to admit the child is his/ wants no part of it and will not provide for it. this leads to paternity tests, trying to get child support from the jackass which brings anger and resentment between both parties leaving a small child in the middle and emotionally hurt. the saddest part is these women create a pattern of jackasses for themselves. this is because attraction for women is based on emotion while for men it is more logical I have seen this pattern many times in sixteen years as a property manager. one single mom and her child got close. to me and felt comfortable telling me her woes in this area. I never asked nor did I offer any advice. I just listened to her. I learned a lot from this. Both men and women bear equal responsibility. where I point a finger at these jackasses is their refusal to have anything to do with or even provide for their children. this is detestable.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,607 times
Remember mee : Johnny boy is right. you are wrong. you sound extremely bitter. most women are simply seeking someone stable and attractive to them. not necessarily what what the world deems attractive.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 AM

708 posts, read 878,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I wonder how it would affect men and women in the US, if marriage was "revenue neutral" from a tax and inheritance standpoint; every state required joint custody of children after a divorce, except in exceptional cases; child support was negligible and alimony did not exist for all intents and purposes?
I'm not very clear on what you mean in your post. Do you mean that one wouldn't inherit their spouse's assets upon death...why shouldn't they?

How do you mandate joint custody for those who really don't wish for it. Child support and joint custody are two different issues.

Why should child support be negligible? Does that mean one party would have to rely more heavily on government programs like the free/reduced school lunch program and food stamps. In some cases, where the men pay almost no child support, this is what happens. If child support is negligible, does that mean the wealthier party has no expectation of contributing to things like music lessons, orthodontics, tennis lessons, etc., if he doesn't see them as necessary.

Despite what is said here, alimony is fairly atypical.

I'm not sure how your above comments would affect marriage. Child support is something that occurs whether a child has married parents or not. Why wouldn't you expect a person to fully contribute to child support though, instead of it being negligible?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Most of them want bad boys. So it goes.
Bad boys and marriage minded men are not mutually exclusive.

Take the hip hop world for example. Some of the baddest boys in the industry are linked up.

Seems men are just becoming too weak to handle marriage. Real confident men with backbones understand that marriage is a compromise, but it will never lead to the wife controlling us, forcing us to do things or nagging all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships