Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
Marriage requires a certain level of unselfishness that people can't seem to muster anymore.
That, and unreasonable expectations of each other that are driven by the "perfect" people seen on television.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Television has always depicted "perfect" marriages. That's really nothing new.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Because men generally won't put up with BS for too long. They are very practical and logical in that way instead of being led on by emotions.
I mean how often do we hear about men being stuck for years with a woman that lies, cheats multiple times or even verbally trashes him?? Not much; perhaps 1 in 100 and that's because he has severe self-esteem issues.

Yet, there are many stories about women staying with guys who won't commit them, cheat, lie, etc.
You're joking, right?

I know PLENTY of men who have stayed with absolutely insane women because she was hot, or the sex was good. I know a guy who proposed to his girlfriend after she threw a BRICK through the windshield of his car...he said she was just 'passionate' about their relationship.

I'd have to say 90% of the men I've known over the years have been in a LTR with a crazy chick who lies and cheats (oftentimes right in front of them and doesn't hide it at all) and verbally trashes them because of some superficial reason.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,783,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You're joking, right?

I know PLENTY of men who have stayed with absolutely insane women because she was hot, or the sex was good. I know a guy who proposed to his girlfriend after she threw a BRICK through the windshield of his car...he said she was just 'passionate' about their relationship.

I'd have to say 90% of the men I've known over the years have been in a LTR with a crazy chick who lies and cheats (oftentimes right in front of them and doesn't hide it at all) and verbally trashes them because of some superficial reason.
I've seen this a lot as well. My theory is that we don't need each other for survival anymore so we now use each other for entertainment. And some people are entertained by tantrums and over the top fits of "passion."

Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,783,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
That, and unreasonable expectations of each other that are driven by the "perfect" people seen on television.

Yes, I agree. TV tells us what/who is acceptable. The media does mold society. The media does want people to be "perfect" because perfect people have money to spend on their advertiser's products. It's all driven by money.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,541 times
Not many men want to get married these days and I applaud it.

Hardly any benefits for a man to get married these days unless he just can't live without kids.

Marriage is financial ruin for a man, when you have to deal with community property and alimony.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Not many men want to get married these days and I applaud it.

Hardly any benefits for a man to get married these days unless he just can't live without kids.

Marriage is financial ruin for a man, when you have to deal with community property and alimony.
You do realize that many women are now making as much or more than their SOs?

I've only dated one guy that made more money than me and he was a jerk that didn't last long...if I had gotten married and divorced from my last boyfriend I would have owed HIM alimony.

Maybe you should just find a woman that is your equal.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
"Not many men want to get married these days"?? All the 20-something guys I know are married. But that's IRL, not in the C-D world.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Most of the people who stay in this area who marry do it either right after high school or right after they graduate college, which puts them in the 20s.

But those guys mostly agreed that dating sucks in today's world, so they were really happy about not having to hopefully ever date again.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Not many men want to get married these days"?? All the 20-something guys I know are married. But that's IRL, not in the C-D world.
Just wait a bit though... I knew a ton of people who got married in their late teens/early 20s... nearly all of them are now divorced. Some have been divorced 2 or 3 times by the time they're 30. I think many people that age like the idea of marriage, but simply aren't ready for it or choose completely wrong partners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships