Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:53 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times

Advertisements

The one where, the woman never has to overly remind him ''Where is this going'', put ultimatums nor has to break up first to then get him to change his mind and go after her with the ring.

The one that does it because he wants it too, out of his free will. I've been hearing more stories on another forums at 3 more women having the same problem. They are stuck with someone that at first was on the same page, they made the mistake of living together and suddenly they become another ''forever live-in gf''.

I believe that if I had to nag a man to fully commit to me, then it's not worth my time because if he then gives in, I wouldn't feel it's an honest and sincere proposal. But it's like that's the case most of times: he has to be reminded in order for it to happen.

Those stories sometimes make me lose hope. Though I'm not interested in kids, I still one day want a true, sincere proposal...not one where I had to nag to get it (childfree marriage is what I'm looking for). I don't like begging to get something but I wouldn't like waiting endless years either.

BTW I just posted my a recent picture of me in Christmas. I haven't gotten hit on that much in my younger years and only been in one relationship (now I'm 25). I think I'm just average in looks. Can this play a role in not finding the one yet??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
marriage is down 50%.
42 million plus divorces filed since 1975 no fault, 70% filed by women. even an incest learns after awhile.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
marriage is down 50%.
42 million plus divorces filed since 1975 no fault, 70% filed by women. even an incest learns after awhile.
Wow that sucks. The only 3 reasons I would ever think of divorcing a man is:
1) He cheats physically (emotionally cheating can maybe be worked out once but not him having sex or doing anything sexual with someone else).
2) He becomes abusive and tries to hit me or does it
3) He has a serious addiction and it has greatly affected our sex life as well as other areas (social life, workplace, etc.) and he refuses to get help

Other than that, anything can be worked out.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Wow that sucks. The only 3 reasons I would ever think of divorcing a man is:
1) He cheats physically (emotionally cheating can maybe be worked out once but not him having sex or doing anything sexual with someone else).
2) He becomes abusive and tries to hit me or does it
3) He has a serious addiction and it has greatly affected our sex life as well as other areas (social life, workplace, etc.) and he refuses to get help

Other than that, anything can be worked out.
What would be valid reasons for a man to divorce you?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
What would be valid reasons for a man to divorce you?
I expect the same in return. Therefore it would be the same answer.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 PM

201 posts, read 236,276 times
I think marriage is a really unattractive proposition for men in today's society. Why? Because marriage has so little to offer men now. Once upon a time having a wife meant having someone to care for your children while at work, someone to clean, someone to cook, someone to encourage you, someone to have sex with, basically someone to help you out and make life more enjoyable and easy. But now, wives aren't really helpers, they're quite the opposite.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
I think that there are so many women out there who are willing to do anything to get a man, that he doesn't need to put a ring on it anymore.

And many men don't know what realistic marriages look like because they haven't seen them modeled.

This it's a reflection of the society that we live in today.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
The one where, the woman never has to overly remind him ''Where is this going'', put ultimatums nor has to break up first to then get him to change his mind and go after her with the ring.

The one that does it because he wants it too, out of his free will. I've been hearing more stories on another forums at 3 more women having the same problem. They are stuck with someone that at first was on the same page, they made the mistake of living together and suddenly they become another ''forever live-in gf''.

I believe that if I had to nag a man to fully commit to me, then it's not worth my time because if he then gives in, I wouldn't feel it's an honest and sincere proposal. But it's like that's the case most of times: he has to be reminded in order for it to happen.

Those stories sometimes make me lose hope. Though I'm not interested in kids, I still one day want a true, sincere proposal...not one where I had to nag to get it (childfree marriage is what I'm looking for). I don't like begging to get something but I wouldn't like waiting endless years either.

BTW I just posted my a recent picture of me in Christmas. I haven't gotten hit on that much in my younger years and only been in one relationship (now I'm 25). I think I'm just average in looks. Can this play a role in not finding the one yet??
I used to hear it mentioned that if you cannot go on a week-long road trip without want to "kill" each other at the end, then the relationship will ultimately not last. I, on the other hand, think that living together first is the only way to see if it will work out in the long run. Prior to living together, you both have your own space full of your own stuff arranged in your own way. It is a space you have where you can momentarily get away from each other, even without intention, and be amongst you. And this you was more-than-likely there long before you met the other person. There is so much the other person does not see about you, nor you about them, that only comes out when you begin to live with each other. I'm talking about the little nuances about how you live at home.

As for me, I am neither for or against marriage and I do not feel marriage is proof of commitment or intention. If a girl I was in a serious relationship with nagged me about marriage, or played games in an attempt to bait me into proposing, I probably would make plans to exit the relationship. However, if it felt right, I would propose, but it would probably take me a few years.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
I think marriage is a really unattractive proposition for men in today's society. Why? Because marriage has so little to offer men now. Once upon a time having a wife meant having someone to care for your children while at work, someone to clean, someone to cook, someone to encourage you, someone to have sex with, basically someone to help you out and make life more enjoyable and easy. But now, wives aren't really helpers, they're quite the opposite.
Does this mean I should either just give up and stay single or only focus on dating forever? At times I'm really close to giving up.

I mean, I'm making it easier by not wanting kids. I would sign a prep-nup if he terribly distrusts me and thinks I'm desperately after his money.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
they become another ''forever live-in gf''.
How is this, practically, different than marriage?

You're in a long-term committed monogamous relationship together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships