Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 AM

51,904 posts, read 52,278,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
And most 18-30 year old women avoid old men like the plague. Yet men for some unexplained reason think they have a chance. Sorry but at 18-30 I thought 50 year old men and even younger were perverts when they tried to date me. Even now, I am repulsed when 60 year old men ask me out on dates.
I agree... probably about the only time I agree with you... but it does happen on occasions......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,858,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree... probably about the only time I agree with you... but it does happen on occasions......
Sure anything can happen but not as common as many think. People use Hugh Hefner for an example but I guarantee if he was an average middle class old guy no way would he have younger women.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 AM

51,904 posts, read 52,278,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Sure anything can happen but not as common as many think. People use Hugh Hefner for an example but I guarantee if he was an average middle class old guy no way would he have younger women.
I agree again.... he'd be nothing but an old fool wearing pj's out in public......

People would actually call the cops on his dumb ass.....

Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,858,885 times
And he'd be in a home for old people.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,126,204 times
At 46, if I got curb-kicked tomorrow, I wouldn't go any lower than 50 to date. These 35-45 year old women act like like teenagers with the Facebook and all the nonsense nowadays. I'd prefer to just sit around and watch old 70's TV shows, go out once in awhile and that would be fine by me.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,675,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I second the poster that said to do the online dating. There are plenty of over-50 sites, and you can screen for the qualities you want, instead of wasting time daydreaming.
I third this

I'm not in my fifties, but the man I met online is. He's a very nice man and we've been seeing each other about 8 months now. It wasn't easy...a lot of strange dates, but it's a numbers game. After a while, the odds turn in your favor and you can meet someone nice whose company you enjoy.

Give it a try....it's better than sitting in your robe in front of the tv.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,668,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I am not trying to mean, but I wouldn't be interested in someone like you anyway. I would rather be alone than be with someone like you, even though you wouldn't want to date me. I don't think men are idiots, I like men, most of them. Some are idiots, but then there are women who are idiots as well. I think it's a small percentage for both sexes.

Wow, that is pretty judgemental..2 "someone like yous" in one short paragraph. You know nothing about me at all, other than what I look at.

Not to worry though, I have got to get in the Jag and pick up Tiffany after her aerobics class.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM

12,099 posts, read 16,988,037 times
Quote:
I am in my early 50's. Divorced, no kids, very simple. I've been told I am attractive, pretty, etc. however I am really very average. Not unattractive but not beautiful. I'm not fat or thin, but average. I have a job and it's average too.

Here is my problem. I haven't dated in a long long time. When I was dating, I found it fun, but never really clicked with anyone. It's been at least 5 yrs since I've been on an actual date.

I've decided that I really do want to be in a relationship. I am looking at options to meet people since I don't meet anyone sitting in my robe in front of the television.

Here's one problem: When I see an attractive, age appropriate, no ring wearing (i.e. married) guy I screw up. Sometimes I smile and it seems to me that he backs away. Then I feel weird and I back away too. I'm not sure if this imagined or my insecurity is acting up. I just don't know how to act in front of a guy.

I've had my share of bad relationships. Sometimes I think that since I've picked so many "wrong" people something must be terribly wrong with me and who would want me anyway??? This is incredibly frustrating - not sure how to act but not sure if I am really "relationship" worthy anyway.

So, when I see a single guy (age appropriate, etc) I start imaging what it would be like dating this guy or married to this guy. Then I feel weird for thinking like that. Then I think he must know what I am thinking and I feel weird even more.

So these are the kind of thoughts that go through my head. And I feel like a big old loser.
I have a question.

Does physical attractiveness really matter at that age?

I mean, I know it still matters, but the same is your 20s and 30s?

I figure if I'm in my 50s and still single (very likely) that I'll put things like personality and trustworthiness and success and compatibility WAY above physical attraction. I mean physical attraction would be quite low on the list. Well, I do that now. But I was thinking that people in their 50s would think the same way. Not to say that you should find someone who is 500 lbs attractive. But I don't see too many women in their 50s where I say, "Ooh , she's cute." Maybe just a few. But like I said, looks in that sense probably wouldn't matter to me at all at that age.

I mean, most people that age, I wouldn't say they are unattractive, but they are not attractive in the same way anymore.

If I read your post without the first paragraph, I would guess you were in your 20s.

Last edited by jobaba; 01-06-2013 at 02:09 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 05:15 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,213,800 times
I am over 50....and find dating a trial. I do it occasionally. It is just so much work. Prefer to just go to yoga, go skiing alone, and be with my cat. Alone.

Men now don't want marriage, or any type of commitment. So, why even bother? You just set yourself up to be hurt. Better to just accept things for what they are...

Old 01-06-2013, 05:16 PM

17 posts, read 27,615 times
Quote:
I have looked into meet up groups for people over 40. I haven't had much luck. Most are driven by some sort of activity like motorcycle riders, empty-nesters, wine drinkers, people who hike-bicycle-play bunko. I would just like to meet some nice people who like to go to dinner, the movies, not one particular activity. I'll keep looking though.

While I am alone, I'm not really lonely. At least not all the time. Some times I feel terribly alone and I am sad. I would like to meet all kinds of people, but I really am looking for a romantic relationship in the long run. I wouldn't mind a few really great girlfriends to do stuff with either. Nice girls that will make good friends. The ideal would be a nice girlfriend who has a wonderful single brother!

I'm having a similar experience. I'd like to meet friendly folks between North Jersey and NYC, who just want to bowl, meet for brunch, etc. I'm not lonely either, but there are only a few things that I don't mind doing alone. Although I'd like to meet a nice guy, I'm not willing to put my picture on the internet using the dating sites. I'd prefer to meet someone while I'm out and about, who is attracted to me and take it from there safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships