Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
In what ways are dating like job interviews? That's been said quite a few times around here, and I'm genuinely curious.
I mean that dating has become very robotic. It wasn't like this when I was a teenager. Now it's all credentials, credit scores, pre-date google searches, questions about jobs and ambition. There's plenty to support this just by reading posts in various threads on this forum.

I'm just not interested. I was married once, never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
What are the women generally like? Are they professional types? Looking specifically to start families? Is there no natural flow of conversation, at all?
Professionals and students. Definitely no family starters - we're talking 20s here. Generally the conversations went well initially but I feel like I have to do more and more of the talking as time goes on. Most of the conversation from them consists of questions about my work, education, what hobbies I'm doing, how much I travel, whether I like food, do I play an instrument, am I an outdoorsy person...blardy bar. It feels like they're adding or debiting points from my "interesting" index on a mental checklist.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Some dates I've been on can give an impression you're being grilled for your qualities. It feels like you have to constantly sell yourself to remain interesting.
Yeah, that and Hombre's assertion of "the interview." It gets annoying. I can have that nice meal with friends, family, or even myself ... rather than pop for someone with whom to make idle chit-chat.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:06 PM

127 posts, read 154,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I mean that dating has become very robotic. It wasn't like this when I was a teenager. Now it's all credentials, credit scores, pre-date google searches, questions about jobs and ambition . There's plenty to support this just by reading posts in various threads on this forum.

That hasn't been my experience at all.

In my experience, it's all about sex.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy316 View Post
That hasn't been my experience at all.

In my experience, it's all about sex.
IF your resume is in order, your credit score is >750 and you have at least a BA.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
What do you mean? The majority of women on here said they would never go out with a man who asked them to pay half or go dutch. And that who ever ask(which is always the man) should have to pay.
True....and as it should be.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Quote:
I mean that dating has become very robotic. It wasn't like this when I was a teenager. Now it's all credentials, credit scores, pre-date google searches, questions about jobs and ambition. There's plenty to support this just by reading posts in various threads on this forum.

I've seen the threads, but I've definitely never actually experienced any of it. And I would not tolerate something so invasive as asking me for my credit scores and credentials. I think talking about jobs and ambitions is fairly normal though, yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Professionals and students. Definitely no family starters - we're talking 20s here. Generally the conversations went well initially but I feel like I have to do more and more of the talking as time goes on. Most of the conversation from them consists of questions about my work, education, what hobbies I'm doing, how much I travel, whether I like food, do I play an instrument, am I an outdoorsy person...blardy bar. It feels like they're adding or debiting points from my "interesting" index on a mental checklist.
That sounds dreadfully boring. Were these dinner dates?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Same. That sounds like it would be horribly boring, enough so that I would likely cut it short and leave.
I'm sure you've dated much, much more than I have, especially in the last 5 years or so.

I can't imagine sticking with a date who asked me how much I made or what my credit score is. I'd probably become extremely straight forward with her and tell her to find a guy who doesn't mind answering these questions on a first date. I'm not sure how I would react if someone said "I googled you, tooncentration, and I'm not that good at concentrating in multiple areas at the same time.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
True....and as it should be.

^^^^^ Exhibit A

Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM

127 posts, read 154,754 times
Quote:
IF your resume is in order, your credit score is >750 and you have at least a BA.
I've never been asked about my credit score once. Ever. I thought that was a joke when I first saw it on here.

I've also never directly been asked about having a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships