Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:57 PM

223 posts, read 694,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinNY View Post
How did you meet your significant other?

Did you know that person from a friend, family, workplace or school or did you one day meet that person while you were shopping in your local grocery store?

1) Did you meet that person while you were looking and eye opened to the possibility of meeting someone? OR

2) when you least expected to meet someone while you going on your daily routine?.....
I met my wife at work, she got a second job to kill time and earn some extra coin because she was starting online school a few weeks from then. Funny, because she works 55hrs/week at her normal job, and ended up with 39hrs/week working graveyards with me .

I met her unexpectedly, I introduced myself, and called her by the wrong name (I had seen her name on the schedule but couldn't remember it), great first impressions eh? But we fell hopelessly in love very quickly. She made me put her number in my phone so I could call her (hehehe), and then she proceeded to ask me out .
and two months later we were married. Very happily for 19 months until she woke up one day and decided she wanted a divorce. ah well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 03:27 PM

672 posts, read 2,125,104 times
Default Met mine at a public meeting.....

I went to a public meeting about some county issues one night, and there is where I met my now fiancee. I think it was more "me" attracted to "her" than the other way around. Still, that particular night, I had a lot of different stuff going on, was super busy, and nothing came from our meeting for some time after that. In fact, it was almost a month later that we actually went anywhere together. But we had had a few phone conversations during that time, and it was she who had called me first. Even at that, she was possibly the most difficult to get-to-know type person I've ever met. When I went to the meeting that night, romance was the last thing on earth I was looking for. And after a couple of phone conversations, it was clear to me that she wasn't looking for any type of romance either. I can remember telling myself that I needed to put her out of my mind, and stop thinking about her so much. I now know that I somehow loved her, even before we ever went anywhere together. In december, that will have been four years ago. We plan to marry next year. So, to all you single people, I will say this: Watch Out!! You never know where the love bug might be flapping around!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:20 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
My last one was a lead guitarist in the band I was auditioning for at the time, several years ago. Its ironic that nearly every guy I dated (not that Ive dated a million guys, but...) had two features which attracted me. One, being that long, soft blonde hair. He knew he had my heart when he played one certain piece on his classical. By the end of the evening, we were already making plans of our own, on the side, involving the field of music.
Vanity doesn't tell the whole story about a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge
Though I havent been in a relationship in nearly a year now, would have to say that theyve all been sudden, unexpected.
Sudden and unexpected relationships like that can also lead to sudden and unexpected heartbreaks sometimes.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 10-19-2007 at 04:29 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
I met my wife at work. I was hired on and she was on an away assignment in NY for a year. I had seen her name on the list of people in our section, but had never seen her. When she came back, they put her in a cube next to mine. I used to hear her giggling over the partition and thought she was the silliest woman around. She would later say that she often heard me talking on the phone in a quiet manner and thought, "finally, somebody interesting in this place." Because I thought she was so silly, I never paid attention to her, didn't even look at her. Spotting her later, I thought that she was probably the most attractive woman in the company. No wonder all the guys were hanging around her cube. She had a beautiful, well-toned body because she was heavy into aerobics at the time. A very attractive Italian woman. One day, my cubemate and I went to her cube to ask her if we could use the computer in the cube, and when we made eye contact, I knew at that instant that she was interested. It was that long, lingering gaze that told me that this beautiful, shapely Italian woman was interested in me. I was stunned in a good way. I returned the gaze and we held each other in check long enough for us both to know. Completely unexpected!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:47 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,436 times
I met my husband at church 1995 (I was 15 at the time) at the time he was dating my best friend. So he and I became friends and we would all hang out together and go on group/double dates. Even when my husband was dating my friend, there was always a connection between us. He and I could sit a talk for hours, we had a lot in common etc. Neither of us acted on this connection, we both just played it off, however my friend did notice and become quite jealous.

Anyway in 1997 they broke up. I would see him at church and out in town and we would always speak and get caught up on what was going on with one another.

Finally in Feb. 2000 I had just broken up with a guy I had been seeing for a while and I happen to run into John at the store. We talked and there was defiantly something there on both our parts and well needless to say we have been together ever since.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:43 PM

264 posts, read 829,507 times
I met my partner at a support group and, no, I certainly wasn't looking. In fact, I had been out of a bad relationship for about a year at that time and was REALLY enjoying my freedom.

She was VERY shy and I'm very outgoing. She was looking for someone to help her get out of the house and be more "social" so I volunteered to help her. We did tons of things and talked alllllll the time. Over the next 4 years we became best friends.

Then, one night we got all dolled up and went to a realllllly expensive restaurant. We're sitting there over our salads, staring into each others eyes and we both blurted out the same thing at the same time..."Is this a date?" LOL Well, from then on, they WERE dates.

We "dated" for another year then, on a vacation to Key West, she proposed to me and 6 months later we were married. So far we've been together for 6 years and married for one...and we're still crazy in love with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships