Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

We all hear the news of how many times certain celebrities have been married. When Elizabeth Taylor kicked the bucket, it was sort of "Eh." I didn't respect her.

However, we know some people in real life who have been married 4, 5, or 6 times. There are maps of state-by-state divorce rates. The Northeast seems to enjoy more marriage success. I would presume more of these "multi" people live in Nevada, for example.

I worked with a young lady whose mother was on her 5th marriage. This must have affected this chick, because she was the de facto #1 troublemaker there.

So, who marries these people for the umpteenth time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
My sister is on marriage number 4. About 8 years ago I asked if she thought he was the one and she said, "We'll see..."

I have been divorced once. If I don't make it the second time around, marriage is not for me I am thinking. A lot of lessons learned that first time around, I will tell you that!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
I don't think I know anyone with multiple divorces.

For myself...if/when my marriage disolves (either by divorice or death) I would not get married again. Been there, done that and time to move on to something different.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,416 times
I know too many people to count with multiple divorces. I don't know what happened in America between the 1940s -50s - 60s compared to today, but nobody takes marriage seriously anymore, and divorce is commonplace. Those of us that have never been married are just expected to accept those that have.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
My dad is on marriage #4. My sister on marriage #2 but isn't happy so I don't know how long it will last. She's a lot like my dad, though, so I know if she divorces she'll marry again. I'm with Sixty. If my marriage ends either by death or divorce, this is it for me. I've tried it and I don't want to try it again, not because I don't love my spouse and am unhappy, but because I'm not a fan of marriage in general. So this is my one shot.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
My father has married and divorced 3 times. Finally figured out he was happiest single. He tended to target women who were a bit naiive.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
My sister is on marriage number 4. About 8 years ago I asked if she thought he was the one and she said, "We'll see..."

I have been divorced once. If I don't make it the second time around, marriage is not for me I am thinking. A lot of lessons learned that first time around, I will tell you that!
I agree. Two strikes and hang it up. I think 2 failed marriages should tell people they are not marriage material. Some people know they are not marriage material, and do it anyway.

If your sister is on #4, and she's this cavalier about it, I'm curious about what would reel in her husbands.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I know too many people to count with multiple divorces. I don't know what happened in America between the 1940s -50s - 60s compared to today, but nobody takes marriage seriously anymore, and divorce is commonplace. Those of us that have never been married are just expected to accept those that have.
Interestingly enough, those with a series of marriages look down on those who have never married in a BIG WAY.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Interestingly enough, those with a series of marriages look down on those who have never married in a BIG WAY.
Exactly. I see this all too often ... "Oh he's 35? And he's never been married? What is WRONG with him?"

Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM

108 posts, read 174,326 times
Generally I think it's an indicator of some pretty big problems with that person.

Reasons I've seen for this behavior:

1. Financial or personal gain

2. Trapping the spouse in a situation that is more difficult to leave before they really get to know you (includes the practical difficulties of getting a divorce and the difficulty most people naturally have in admitting they married the wrong person)

3. Hypocrisy in the strict adherence to only parts of personal, religious, or social codes (e.g. we can't have sex until we're married, but if it doesn't work out we'll just divorce)

4. Attention seeking (loves the celebration of the wedding, but not the actual marriage)

5. Generally being such an inadequate, bad, or abusive person that no one will stay with them for very long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships