U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM
 
1,757 posts, read 1,403,313 times
Reputation: 1568

Advertisements

I'd probably assume that they aren't too good at statistics.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
1,570 posts, read 1,624,364 times
Reputation: 2049
They're racist. Look, it's fine if you say "I just happen to find more members of race A attractive than race B". People have physical preferences. It's another thing though to refuse to date race B completely. There is no way there aren't some members of race B you'd consider attractive, even if they are the exception. I can't think of a logical reason to close yourself off completely that isn't at least a bit racist.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 10:24 AM
 
Location: SF CA, USA
4,187 posts, read 4,676,917 times
Reputation: 4963
Not malignantly racist...but certainly close minded, and probably boring.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Surf city, NC
17,380 posts, read 10,893,129 times
Reputation: 11670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
They're racist. Look, it's fine if you say "I just happen to find more members of race A attractive than race B". People have physical preferences. It's another thing though to refuse to date race B completely. There is no way there aren't some members of race B you'd consider attractive, even if they are the exception. I can't think of a logical reason to close yourself off completely that isn't at least a bit racist.

Intresting, I have gay & bisexual friends of ALL colors & genders, so how does that make me a racist? Are you implying that I'm a part time racist because I choose not to date a women of said color or race?

Please explian.

Just for the record I've dating women of other races & colors but they never worked out not because of thier race but we were not right for each other.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Sacramento, Ca.
2,432 posts, read 3,055,869 times
Reputation: 2594
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
will you call them racist?
What IS racist anyway? Seems people are making up their own definitions to either excuse or suit their particular behavior. Generally, it is described as someone who is prejudiced against other people because of their race. They may believe that their own race is superior. But prejudice or pre-judging, is not always negative. But racism can involve more than merely not preferring or disliking people who don't look like you, but more so, acting upon that by negative stereotyping, mistreating or discriminating against them. I see this happening everywhere by people unaware of themselves or adamantly deny their beliefs, preferring not to interact with people on this basis. Yes, differences in culture and custom do exist, but are not insurmountable. So let me clarify. If you don't like living near, working, associating or mating with people you hate to see succeed, feel are less civilized, dumb or inferior, just because they look behave or speak differently, then yes, that's racist.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:22 AM
 
5,447 posts, read 6,988,113 times
Reputation: 4596
I have no problem at all with dating other races...they are all beautiful
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Bayou City
2,987 posts, read 4,813,270 times
Reputation: 2509
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
"Racist" for me is generally when you judge another person (negatively OR positively) based on their race. I think the term "racist" is one of those over used and over applied terms. There is enough actual racism in the world to deal with without labeling any more with the term.

Sexual Attraction however is not an attribute of the other person. It is an attribute of yourself. You either find a person sexually attractive or you do not. You either find an attribute (greater or lesser body weight, height, hair colors, skin colors, whatever) sexually attractive or you do not.

Saying - for example - "I am not attracted to black women" - is a statement about you not about black women. Hence it is not racist. I myself have never been attracted to anything but white women. That does not mean I never will be - there might be some out there I have yet to meet - but thus far it has never happened. This is an attribute of me however and not them and hence there is nothing racist about it.

Saying "I am not attracted to black women myself" is no more racist than saying "I am only attracted to women" makes me sexist.
Not necessarily. The lack of attraction could just as likely be rooted in an underlying racist outlook vis-a-vis black women. Attraction by itself isn't necessarily racist, but it is not necessarily not racist either. Point is, you can't really make any definitive conclusions either way without other clues about the individual's worldview. And the comparison between race-based attraction and sex-based attraction is not wholly accurate, as the former is simply a matter of stated racial preference (which can change at any time) while the latter is a matter of sexual orientation (which is generally more "hard-wired"). Different issues altogether.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
1,570 posts, read 1,624,364 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Intresting, I have gay & bisexual friends of ALL colors & genders, so how does that make me a racist? Are you implying that I'm a part time racist because I choose not to date a women of said color or race?

Please explian.

Just for the record I've dating women of other races & colors but they never worked out not because of thier race but we were not right for each other.
You dated a couple women from some ethnic minority and decided, based on your experiences with those individuals that all the others would be unsuitable for you, and you would never consider them again. That is a pretty severe generalization.

And to top it off you even threw in an "I'm not racist I have black friends" cliche. I mean, as someone else said, it's not maliciousness on your part. You've just developed some kind of hangup around whatever race your exes were, and you can't seem to get past it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
bg7
 
7,696 posts, read 9,066,733 times
Reputation: 15202
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Intresting, I have gay & bisexual friends of ALL colors & genders, so how does that make me a racist? Are you implying that I'm a part time racist because I choose not to date a women of said color or race?

Please explian.

Just for the record I've dating women of other races & colors but they never worked out not because of thier race but we were not right for each other.
?
You've dated people of other races, hence you don't fall into the category of people that refuse to date someone of a particular race. What is there to explain?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:42 AM
 
Location: United States of America
507 posts, read 468,424 times
Reputation: 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
will you call them racist?
Nope not at all now if they use racist standards and stereotypes not to do so then yes I would...but the reality is they might be comfortable within their own kind and that is not a crime...I would find it to be limiting but then again I am not in their personal life and they may have more options than I think
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top