U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM

1,752 posts, read 2,423,364 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't have a problem with folk who want to date within their own race

As it's been stated more than once here, that falls under the umbrella of preference, which everyone here possesses in some way shape or form

I'm black, for those who didn't know, and I have dated and married black women exclusively my whole life...have I found, or do I find, women of other races and cultures attractive? I'd be lying if I said no (Sofia Vergara, I'm looking at you )

But here's where we come to the fork in the road...as an adult, I maintain the right to put exclusivity aside if somehwere in the future I become (god forbid, I love my wife, I'm just hypothesizing here!) single again, and the 'object of my affection' turns out to be from a race other than my own

If that should happen, then I'll say now, please spare me the klaxons and air raid horns going off, or the whooping and hollering about 'JUNGLE FEVER!' or 'hmmph...I guess he hates black women!', or the snide comments from the men of that woman's race that usually follow their seeing an interracial coupling---because I don't want to hear it

There is no 'hate of race' or jungle fever, spotted fever, boogie fever, or what have you, going on...it's simply that I chose to widen my pool of eligibles by giving women of other cultures at least a look-see, and I will remain a black man til god picks up his celly and calls me home...and that should go for anyone else here who wants to go outside (gasp! ) 'the boundaries'

Finally, to address the OP's question directly, no, I wouldn't call them racist, but they need to stand down and hush up if and when they see others dating intrerracially...got nothing to do with kids being scarred for life from mixing cultures (really? Yeahhh right ), or racial self-loathing, or any of that other hoo-ha...it's simply the act of people wanting to know about others besides themselves in this world, and choosing to do it ultimately through expressions of love
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM

17,376 posts, read 10,857,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
You dated a couple women from some ethnic minority and decided, based on your experiences with those individuals that all the others would be unsuitable for you, and you would never consider them again. That is a pretty severe generalization.

And to top it off you even threw in an "I'm not racist I have black friends" cliche. I mean, as someone else said, it's not maliciousness on your part. You've just developed some kind of hangup around whatever race your exes were, and you can't seem to get past it.

I never said ALL your assuming & that's your mistake. How do I have hangups? Choice is a hangup? Should I of said African American? Would that warm your little PC heart? I love it because I have freedom of choice some how that makes me a racist. Personal choice is another word for racist that's a new one.

My GF is Pagan like me so I guess in your view I hate people of other religions as well. In all reality it makes life easier Even in this day & age people look at interracial couple with distain sadly that's a reality, I have never been one to care about race or who people date nor will I ever care. To each thier own. My GF is white & shes the one I ended up with like it or not & she choose me if I would of met a woman of color & we hit it off I'd be with her but I didn't so your going to have to deal with it.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
?
You've dated people of other races, hence you don't fall into the category of people that refuse to date someone of a particular race. What is there to explain?

Um where did I say I refuse? I didn't see that word in my post. I think you need glasses.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,042,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Um where did I say I refuse? I did't see that word in my post. I think you need glasses.
Yes you DON'T fall into that catergory. (You didn't refuse to date people of other races, you did date them). Hence there is no need for the poster to explain you because you don't fall into the category of people she/he was opining about. i.e people who refuse to date those of other races. Get it now?

Don't worry about glasses if reading comprehension is absent!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yes you DON'T fall into that catergory. (You didn't refuse to date people of other races, you did date them). Hence there is no need for the poster to explain you because you don't fall into the category of people she/he was opining about. i.e people who refuse to date those of other races. Get it now?

Don't worry about glasses if reading comprehension is absent!

Reading comprehension isn't the problem ADD is.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 PM

283 posts, read 459,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
will you call them racist?

It depends on their reasons as to why they won't date out of their own race.

For example, if they are like me, a caucasion male, who simply prefers white women and in fact has never really found women of other races physically attractive, than I would say thier choices are merely a matter of personal preference. Like: what's your favorite flavor of ice cream? Favorite food? Color?
But, if the person in question refuses to date other ethnicities because he/she feels they are in some way inferior, than, yes, of course, that would be a racist stance.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:06 PM

14,065 posts, read 14,202,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
It depends on their reasons as to why they won't date out of their own race.

For example, if they are like me, a caucasion male, who simply prefers white women and in fact has never really found women of other races physically attractive, than I would say thier choices are merely a matter of personal preference. Like: what's your favorite flavor of ice cream? Favorite food? Color?
But, if the person in question refuses to date other ethnicities because he/she feels they are in some way inferior, than, yes, of course, that would be a racist stance.
If you don't find one race as physically attractive as another, wouldn't that technically mean that you find them aesthetically inferior? I still don't think that makes someone a racist though.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM

3,636 posts, read 2,944,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Attraction by itself isn't necessarily racist, but it is not necessarily not racist either. Point is, you can't really make any definitive conclusions either way without other clues about the individual's worldview.
The thread is not about world views. It is about whether not dating someone of a different race makes you racist. As I said - it no more makes you racist than being gay or straight makes you sexist. You can not control who you are attracted to. You either are attracted to someone - or you are not.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM

14,743 posts, read 30,363,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
As has been said in the thread already, it's not racist to say you prefer the physical attributes of some races over others. It's racist when you say "I would never date a black chick". See the difference? One is stating a preference, and the other is setting a strict condition--a code, if you will. I don't care who you are, I'm sure I could find examples of non-white people you'd find attractive.
I disagree again. A palette of features is implicit in a particular race or ethnicity, so I don't have a problem with the flat-out exclusion. We are talking about the, hopefully, one person you pick for intimacy. I only have a problem with "I would never be friends with (insert ethnic/racial demographics)."

Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM

14,743 posts, read 30,363,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
The thread is not about world views. It is about whether not dating someone of a different race makes you racist. As I said - it no more makes you racist than being gay or straight makes you sexist. You can not control who you are attracted to. You either are attracted to someone - or you are not.
Economically worded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships