Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,079 times

Advertisements

[quote=TotallyTam;27691799]Not sure it's racist as much as it is fear of the unknown.

But it could be also conditioning (which is basically racism, right?). If you are raised by parents/guardians that held the view that races should not mix, then it could be that you will follow that credo, too.

For me personally, race would never be the reason to say no to a suitable mate.[/QUOTE
You have a strong point. All types of interracial couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 PM

153 posts, read 433,460 times
I don't think of them as racists, in the end we all have our preferences and it is only right that we go through and be with those that we find attractive. Nothing wrong with that at all since it is only natural to be attracted to your own race than others.

I will say this though, what really bothers me is when women will date outside their race and only date certain races but not others. EG: A White girl who would only date Black guys and White guys but not date Latinos and Asians. Know it isn't right that I think but just how I feel overall.

Like I can admire a White woman that will only date White guys but I have a tough time talking to or associating with one who will date White guys and other races but leave out some races (like she would date White guys and Black guys but ignore Asians and Hispanics). This ONLY applies if she is physically attractive though, if she is plain looking or ugly then I could care less.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,567,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
will you call them racist?

I would say that the majority of people who would not date outside their race are racist.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
The thread is not about world views. It is about whether not dating someone of a different race makes you racist. As I said - it no more makes you racist than being gay or straight makes you sexist. You can not control who you are attracted to. You either are attracted to someone - or you are not.
And I am simply arguing that you cannot draw the conclusion that those who refuse to date outside their race do not have racist reasons for their decision any more than you can draw the conclusion that they do. Some may indeed refuse for racist reasons, others may not. So it does go back to worldview. The racial preference, in itself, is neither automatically racist or not racist. There is no over-arching rule that characterizes the tendency to form racial preferences as being one way or the other; it is the individual's motivation that determines whether their decision might be racist or otherwise, although in my personal opinion, the more adamant one is about refusing to date out, the more likely it is that a racist reason forms the basis for this refusal. And again, sexual orientation and racial preference are not entirely comparable, for reasons explained earlier.

Last edited by MrSykes; 01-09-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM

19,695 posts, read 20,218,442 times
Default What do you think of people who refuse to date outside their races?

Quote:
will you call them racist?
If they absolutely refuse to, then yes.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
Quote:
What do you think of people who refuse to date outside their races?
It's their personal preference and none of my business.

[it is what it is]

Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I would say that the majority of people who would not date outside their race are racist.
I went to lunch with an attractive black chick I would exchange pleasantries with in the elevator lobby.

The only thing we had in common is that we had both lived in Atlanta, though at different times. I knew she was a single mom. It sounded like she had one daughter. Then, it turned out she had two, from two different dads. It sounded like "You know, if I have his child, he will love me ... "

It was a pretty good Chinese lunch - cashew chicken and beef broccoli. She said "We should do this again." I kind of nodded. The dynamics of our life experiences were just too different, and that was NOT going to happen. I didn't view it as a date. I viewed it as lunch with someone who works in the building.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,567,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I went to lunch with an attractive black chick I would exchange pleasantries with in the elevator lobby.

The only thing we had in common is that we had both lived in Atlanta, though at different times. I knew she was a single mom. It sounded like she had one daughter. Then, it turned out she had two, from two different dads. It sounded like "You know, if I have his child, he will love me ... "

It was a pretty good Chinese lunch - cashew chicken and beef broccoli. She said "We should do this again." I kind of nodded. The dynamics of our life experiences were just too different, and that was NOT going to happen. I didn't view it as a date. I viewed it as lunch with someone who works in the building.

Ok? Does that mean that you wouldn't date ANY black woman?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM

11,784 posts, read 12,020,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If you don't find one race as physically attractive as another, wouldn't that technically mean that you find them aesthetically inferior? I still don't think that makes someone a racist though.
Not finding a certain race attractive doesn't mean you view them as inferior.

Some people aren't attracted to redheads, doesn't mean they're inferior people because of their hair colour.

You like what you like, and what does it matter to anyone else what you find attractive?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:42 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

I thought before you were saying that you're just not physically attracted to non-white women which is fine. If you're now saying that the main problem you had with this black woman is that you two had nothing in common, that's different. Not all black women have multiple children and baby daddies, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships