Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times

Advertisements

Men, does it bother you/make you feel awkward when a woman holds the door open for you?

Sounds silly, but I had a situation today that got a bit awkward.

I was going into the UPS store with my daughter and we were both carrying items. She had a tote with goods and I had a laundry basket overfilled with items. My daughter (who is 6) was at the door first and was holding it open as I came from behind. A gentleman was walking towards us with 2 large boxes where he clearly needed both arms. Basically both the gentleman and myself had our arms full, the difference was I was able to maneuver the basket to my hip to hold the door open. As I stood there holding the door, I smiled and acknowledged him to make him aware I was holding the door open for him as well. He started insisting "I'll take the door, you go in." I smiled and thanked him for his kind gesture, but insisted that he go in first being that it didn't make sense for him to walk behind me to take the door and hold it open with his back. Logistically, it just made more sense for me to hold the door open and have him walk in.

I've had these situations happen before where for one reason or another a gentleman is insisting he take the door and although I appreciate the thought and offer, in my mind it just doesn't make sense to play "pass the door."

I'm just curious to how you men feel about it? More so at that moment, because I understand that it's usually forgotten by the time you get back in the car.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 PM

947 posts, read 1,186,464 times
Why in the world would a woman doing a nice, courteous act make me feel weird....

That action is just common courtesy, some people still are with oldfashioned stuff. When a woman did that for me, I just tell her "thank you."

Old 01-12-2013, 12:06 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,692 times
I struggle with it sometimes, but I generally just smile and say "thank you very much."

My wife knows she's not allowed to touch a door if she's with me.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:07 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,716 times
It's the man's job to hold the door, silly woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Men, does it bother you/make you feel awkward when a woman holds the door open for you?

I was going into the UPS store with my daughter and we were both carrying items. She had a tote with goods and I had a laundry basket overfilled with items. My daughter (who is 6) was at the door first and was holding it open as I came from behind. A gentleman was walking towards us with 2 large boxes where he clearly needed both arms. Basically both the gentleman and myself had our arms full, the difference was I was able to maneuver the basket to my hip to hold the door open. As I stood there holding the door, I smiled and acknowledged him to make him aware I was holding the door open for him as well. He started insisting "I'll take the door, you go in." I smiled and thanked him for his kind gesture, but insisted that he go in first being that it didn't make sense for him to walk behind me to take the door and hold it open with his back. Logistically, it just made more sense for me to hold the door open and have him walk in.

I've had these situations happen before where for one reason or another a gentleman is insisting he take the door and although I appreciate the thought and offer, in my mind it just doesn't make sense to play "pass the door."

I'm just curious to how you men feel about it? More so at that moment, because I understand that it's usually forgotten by the time you get back in the car.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:07 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
I struggle with it sometimes, but I generally just smile and say "thank you very much."

My wife knows she's not allowed to touch a door if she's with me.
Lol...do you stride ahead every time you approach a door as a couple just to make sure you get to it in time?

Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Lol...do you stride ahead every time you approach a door as a couple just to make sure you get to it in time?
I don't need to. She stops and waits if necessary.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:13 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,585 times
No, it doesn't bother me. I typically pass through loads of doors on a daily basis, and it's usually a woman holding the door in one of the passes, at least.

What I do find awkward is people holding the door when I'm still considerably far away from it.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:15 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
How funny that you mention this today! Just last night I was going into Gander Mountain and I held the door open for a lady who was going in at the same time. She stepped through the entry way and opened the interior door for me, saying, "Just to prove I'm not sexist I'll get this one!" I smile and said, "And just to prove that I'm not sexist, I'll let you!" Not awkward at all.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

No. Not at all. Throughout my life, I've noticed that whoever is in front of me going through a set of double doors tends to hold the door slightly open for the next person coming through. It's completely gender neutral. If in a more relaxed suburb, it's even more common.

Within the last year, I went to a steakhouse. A lady who looked like a cross between Catherine Zeta-Jones and a soccer mom was walking out in front of me. She held the door open as she walked out, and looked back and smiled, and I said "Thank you."

Now, if it's Port Authority Main Terminal in Manhattan during the commute hours, people will just trample over you if you don't keep up with the maddened crowd. That ended my desire to live in the metro NYC area ever again.

Then, there are the ass holes. One time, I was entering an auxiliary building to a church that was used for offices, meetings, community events, and whatnot. This impish little bike messenger looking girl, presumably a lesbian after the nature of the exchange, was walking into the building. I reached for the door handle and held it open for her. She sneered at me "That's ok, I've got it." For some reason, I KNEW it would play out that way.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:29 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
No, it doesn't bother me. I typically pass through loads of doors on a daily basis, and it's usually a woman holding the door in one of the passes, at least.

What I do find awkward is people holding the door when I'm still considerably far away from it.
I like to troll people by holding the elevator when they're still on the other end of the hallway. Then I mutter something passive aggressive about being late in the lift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships