Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,562 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and his family are always being harrassed by their landlord. My boyfriends mom has two younger children and they are afraid to even walk outside their house to play because of the landlord. He is extremely rude and violates every bit of the lease that they signed. I come to spend time with my boyfriend every morning and help him watch his little brothers while their mom works all day, i also keep him company. I DO NOT live with them. I have my own address, I get no mail sent to my boyfriends home, my identifaction card even proves i have a different address than my boyfriend and his family. This morning I was outside getting something out of the car as the landlord pulled up and started yelling at me and told me if i was living there i would have to pay $100. I proceeding to explain to him I DO NOT LIVE HERE. We even tried showing him my id which has my address on it. He was extremely rude to me and my boyfriend. He harrassed me infront of an 11 year old and a 4 year old. What should I do? He has me so shooken up I dont know what to do. PLEASE HELP ME!

Old 08-24-2012, 01:14 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,255 times
Ignore him and walk away ///

Old 08-25-2012, 02:04 AM

207 posts, read 284,644 times
If he's violating the lease and being a jackass about it, might have your boyfriend and family to move on to greener pastures ASAP.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:06 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
No one here can help you, it is an issue for your boyfriend and his Mother to take up with the Landlord (in writing) and the proper legal authorities regarding the lease issues. IF the landlord starts screaming at you again you either walk away or file a police report charging harassment. Otherwise stay out of the middle of this mess unless you live there or your name is on the lease.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:33 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_by_Cedar View Post
If he's violating the lease and being a jackass about it, might have your boyfriend and family to move on to greener pastures ASAP.
Absolutely, if he's breaking the lease, so can you....I'd get me a different place...quickly!!.you don't have to put up with that s##t from anyone, you're better than me, I never would have offered my ID, nor tried to prove anything to that a$$....forget about giving notice, I'd just find me another place, and move.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:37 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP, you need to post this on the Real Estate forum, under Rentals. This is a landlord-tenant issue, there's a lease (i.e. legalities) involved. This doesn't seem like a Relationships issue so much. You can ask a mod to move your post.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersweet18xx View Post
My boyfriend and his family are always being harrassed by their landlord. My boyfriends mom has two younger children and they are afraid to even walk outside their house to play because of the landlord. He is extremely rude and violates every bit of the lease that they signed. I come to spend time with my boyfriend every morning and help him watch his little brothers while their mom works all day, i also keep him company. I DO NOT live with them. I have my own address, I get no mail sent to my boyfriends home, my identifaction card even proves i have a different address than my boyfriend and his family. This morning I was outside getting something out of the car as the landlord pulled up and started yelling at me and told me if i was living there i would have to pay $100. I proceeding to explain to him I DO NOT LIVE HERE. We even tried showing him my id which has my address on it. He was extremely rude to me and my boyfriend. He harrassed me infront of an 11 year old and a 4 year old. What should I do? He has me so shooken up I dont know what to do. PLEASE HELP ME!
Out of a 24 hour day, if you are are your boyfriends house more than where the address on your driver's license is, then you are living there (boyfriend's house). Where your legal residence is and where you live is not necessarily the same thing. There are many people who live in one state but their legal residence is in another. If you have clothing there (boyfriend's house), take your showers there, eat there, watch television there and sleep there then you are living there regardless of where you get your mail.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 08-25-2012 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: to clarify the post.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:46 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you need to post this on the Real Estate forum, under Rentals. This is a landlord-tenant issue, there's a lease (i.e. legalities) involved. This doesn't seem like a Relationships issue so much. You can ask a mod to move your post.
this.

the best option may be to move. nothing will be solved by him staying there.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:51 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Here's some blunt advice.

Sounds like you've put your life on hold to help out some other family, who will take all you have to offer and not be able to return much back. That's a losing proposition for YOU.

Get yourself down to the military recruiter, USAF or USA, and get out of that backwater town asap. The military will teach you something useful, like being a nurse, a skill that will be in demand forever, pay a decent wage and have openings all over the nation. If you stay in the military for 20 years or more you get a pension and lifetime benefits. It will be the best thing you ever did for yourself. Fear not. Just do it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:11 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,899 times
I have quite a few rentals and I can tell you in my state the landlord or designated representative cannot even walk on the property without an advance warning of 24 hours without violating the tenants rights unless an emergency exists. In my case I use a management company so I don't actually interact with tenants outside of occasionally visiting to look at damage, assess maintenance needs, etc but in order to do so I have to warn them in advance as stated. This needs to be handled by your man regardless and he should make himself aware of a tenants rights in the state before proceeding. Also harassment/ intimidation is a felony in this state and may be in yours as well. One last thing... like others here I got the feeling you might be living there based on the way you discussed offering up proof of legal residence. Your legal residence and where you are living may be two separate things and I myself have spent less than two months of the last year in my legal state of residence at my so called address. I'm pretty sure you are quite young and the "no seriously, look at my ID" thing isn't going to work in an adult world. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships