Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 AM

810 posts, read 1,813,643 times

Advertisements

Warning ahead of time, kind of a rant thread:

If I had one "useless" superpower, though I guess it could be considered useful even if it doesn't do anything flashy like shooting lasers from your eyes or flying, would be to immediately identify whether somebody is single or not. I am reeling from finding out that yet another girl that I was attracted to and wanted to ask out already has a boyfriend and has been going out with said guy for just over two years. Her Facebook page (I am friends with her) doesn't have a relationship status on her about me, and she doesn't really have any pictures where you can obviously tell that she is with somebody. I found out from talking to a mutual friend of mine, as I wanted to know if she was single before making a move on her.

Blargh. This is the fourth (or was it fifth? I lost count) time in a row that I either asked somebody out who was already taken or found out that she was already taken before I made a move. On the couple of occasions that I asked somebody out of whom I am connected with on facebook, they had no relationship status listed. In one of those cases, the woman was single but was still emotionally "connected" to her ex, and they wound up getting back together a couple months later. Again, I had no idea that they were taken when I was going to ask them out; I don't intentionally look for taken women.

And in case you're curious, the type of woman that I usually go for, and the general characteristics of those I asked out, is someone who is intelligent, quirky, nerdy and artistic. I don't go after the "model" types that are more than likely to be already taken. The most recent girl was tall, had glasses, loves independent cinema, plays Skyrim and is a saxophonist.

Again, just a rant, but man do I feel embarrassed when I ask out somebody who is already taken. I wonder if that means anything.

Oh well, to the gym to work this rant off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:40 AM

11,836 posts, read 12,115,136 times
Facebook statuses don't mean much at all, especially if you're not someone who is invested in your FB page. Maybe part of the problem is being FB "friends" with people who aren't actually friends, because if they were, you'd know their relationship status.

But yes it is very frustrating when you don't know someone's relationship status. At least you had someone to ask about her before you actually asked her out.

I really don't think you should ever be embarrassed if you ask someone out who is already in a relationship. It's flattering to them even if it's disappointing to you. And you can't tell these things just by looking at someone. Good luck in your search!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 AM

32,772 posts, read 48,525,747 times
Because the people who are wonderful to be with are very likely to have already found someone who thinks they are wonderful to be with.

I think that is why, at some point early in the relationship you ask if they are seeing anyone.

At least you have already matured to the point where you aren't using looks as your only criteria. That will make your quest easier.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Facebook statuses don't mean much at all, especially if you're not someone who is invested in your FB page. Maybe part of the problem is being FB "friends" with people who aren't actually friends, because if they were, you'd know their relationship status.

But yes it is very frustrating when you don't know someone's relationship status. At least you had someone to ask about her before you actually asked her out.

I really don't think you should ever be embarrassed if you ask someone out who is already in a relationship. It's flattering to them even if it's disappointing to you. And you can't tell these things just by looking at someone. Good luck in your search!
That's a good point. In the case of the most recent girl (who didn't have a relationship status on her page,) she was more of an acquaintance than a friend; each time I hung out with her was via other friends throwing a get-together or hanging out at some location. As she is heavily into music, my "date" idea was to take her to a jazz concert at a nice performing arts center.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,060,785 times
eh, at least you're still asking women out.

if I had a stuper power, I'd hope to have the power to glow in the dark.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,510,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
if I had a stuper power, I'd hope to have the power to glow in the dark.
Consider me stupefied, Prince. LOL

OP, I suppose some people use facebook for dating - I must be too old to try that, and I hardly ever even look at it (waste of valuable time, IMO). However, from what I know of it, it does not seem designed for that purpose. I think it's better to date in "real" life, or use a dedicated online dating site.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:20 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,822,365 times
At least you cared to look at relationship status. I don't know what to make of the men that approach me on FB. I clearly state 'married' and guys I have zero connections to message me.

I don't think facebook is such a bad place to date from if you already 'know' them to some degree. Usually there are clues about whether they are single. But of course, not everyone is all that invested in their page. I haven't been on there in about a year. Which reminds me I should actually check it at some point.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,735,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Warning ahead of time, kind of a rant thread:

If I had one "useless" superpower, though I guess it could be considered useful even if it doesn't do anything flashy like shooting lasers from your eyes or flying, would be to immediately identify whether somebody is single or not. I am reeling from finding out that yet another girl that I was attracted to and wanted to ask out already has a boyfriend and has been going out with said guy for just over two years. Her Facebook page (I am friends with her) doesn't have a relationship status on her about me, and she doesn't really have any pictures where you can obviously tell that she is with somebody. I found out from talking to a mutual friend of mine, as I wanted to know if she was single before making a move on her.

Blargh. This is the fourth (or was it fifth? I lost count) time in a row that I either asked somebody out who was already taken or found out that she was already taken before I made a move. On the couple of occasions that I asked somebody out of whom I am connected with on facebook, they had no relationship status listed. In one of those cases, the woman was single but was still emotionally "connected" to her ex, and they wound up getting back together a couple months later. Again, I had no idea that they were taken when I was going to ask them out; I don't intentionally look for taken women.

And in case you're curious, the type of woman that I usually go for, and the general characteristics of those I asked out, is someone who is intelligent, quirky, nerdy and artistic. I don't go after the "model" types that are more than likely to be already taken. The most recent girl was tall, had glasses, loves independent cinema, plays Skyrim and is a saxophonist.

Again, just a rant, but man do I feel embarrassed when I ask out somebody who is already taken. I wonder if that means anything.

Oh well, to the gym to work this rant off!
Dang, that sucks and I totally know the feeling!
This gets worse as you get older as more and more people become already taken.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,829,323 times
I think it means you have good taste in women Gatsby (problem is, others did too). Keep asking women out. You'll find someone

For a while I had this theory that men are attracted to women in relationships without them knowing it. Seriously, I am asked out and hit on a whole lot more when I am in a relationship than when I am not. I thought maybe I have a kind of confidence or happiness about me when I am in a relationship that makes me more attractive. It's kind of weird and uncanny.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:17 PM

Also, if I may clarify, when I say that I look at a potential's date relationship status on their Facebook pages, these are people that I have already met in person and at least somewhat know personally. I don't randomly search Facebook for potential dates nor do I add people that I don't know. In other words, I don't use Facebook to find dates, but rather to see if somebody I already know is single or taken, and something that I have noticed is that more women (and to an extent, men) do not publish their relationship status, even amongst friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships