Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

I've met a few girls on the internet who seem to have no friends (apart from online ones), no social life, who are basically hermits, who still have boyfriends who they seem to spend a lot of their time with. On the other hand, I've never met a man with no friends who has a girlfriend. Do you think women are more judgemental on men who have no friends are total loners? Men seem to have fewer requirements about women aside from the physical and basic personality traits, whereas women seem to judge men a lot on the company they keep.

Do the vast majority of women steer clear of 'loners' even if they meet the other requirements? Do they seem them as either weird/creepy/or socially inept?

Or maybe guys who are loners just tend to lack the social skills to be good at dating to start with, maybe that's more it.

But again, it seems less a problem for girls. Girls can be super-shy and be approached all the time and still have a boyfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 06:21 AM

264 posts, read 308,879 times
Here we go again....

Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 AM

362 posts, read 559,745 times
I am one of those female "loners" you speak of. I am one because women are too catty for me, hate always having to keep my guard up around them.

Men I find easier to get along with, so a guy with no guy friends may point to some other personality issue going on in my opinion.

Last edited by FLgirl727; 01-18-2013 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 AM

264 posts, read 308,879 times
FLgirl72, you must be catty too though, right? After all, you are a woman.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,212,255 times
I would think a large part of it has to do with attractive qualities. A physically attractive woman with positive personality traits (who's also a loner) is going to have more opportunities to date than a man who's the opposite of that.

Also, the woman had to put herself out there. Anyone who does his/her best to avoid interacting with the world is going to have trouble meeting people. Back in my single days I wouldn't have approached a woman who didn't look like she wanted to talk.

If also depends on why someone's a loner and if he/she doesn't have any friends vs. just not having any friends living close.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,602 times
Eh, I'm a bit of a loner but never really have trouble meeting or dating woman. I do have one or two close friends from growing up, but I've moved, but even then, thats fine. I'm a loner.

It doesn't mean I lack social skills, hygiene or whatever. I would also consider myself successful at work partly because I work so well with others. I choose my "loner/no friends" life style.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,769,668 times
I've been a loner and I've been social. I'm now pretty social and I think it's ten times better than being a loner, so I don't think I'd be able to be with a guy with no friends. In my loner days, I dated a guy who was also a loner. It was pretty frickin boring sometimes because we would just hang out with each other all the stupid time.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 AM

218 posts, read 483,264 times
I'm really shy so naturally I don't have a gaggle of friends. I couldn't date someone shy or introverted. Dating myself would be boring and I would never get out of my comfort zone.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,242 times
Different strokes for different folks... I think men and women are about the same. A person that's hung up on how many friends their romantic interest has, is probably more concerned about what their romantic interest can do for them.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
I'd be skeptical of a guy with no friends. I met a few guys on match who didn't have a lot of friends in the area because they were new to town which is totally different than someone who just flat out has no friends. The other problem dating someone with no or few friends is that they have too much time on their hands. I think having a life outside of the relationship is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships