Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,765,855 times

Advertisements

For some reason, YouTube has decided I'm single and Christian. You'd think their spyware would have figured out I'm a matronly JG by now. But nooooooo.....

Today, I'm getting ads showing a wedding portrait of a couple who look like he's a graduate of an ex-Gay ministry (but still does drag), and a gal who looks just like him, except she's in a wedding dress. The dude has eyebrows even more 'arched' than hers. And he's got the cutest little ear-bobs, or whatever those stupid things are called. Ear stumps? Ear posts? And, of course, he's got a gallon of grease in his hair (so you can tell he's the Groom? To keep the lice population down? To make his head slippery, in case of attack by face-eating Chimpanzees?).

Another ad has some bleached-blonde skank in a strapless wedding gown, looking desperate and bizarre. Then there's the hunky bald, sunburned, blondish dude who looks like he's fresh out of a meth rehab clinic in Malibu and is looking for a nice gullible wallflower to live off of for awhile (until his 'music career' takes off...ya know... he's working on his associate's degree in 'The Music Business' from Full Sail University, no doubt...).

And if that weren't bad enough, then they have the nerve to tell us that this is where you find out who G-- intends as your mate!!! !!! !!! I am personally offended by their having taken that name in vain. Excuse me, but I thought that's why there's prayer... and churches.

And I am highly amused, considering that this is surely a for-profit enterprise, and its owners are quite possibly members of my tribe.

I remember being at Temple in a Texas city we shall not name. We met some folks who owned a Christian broadcasting conglomerate. They were building a limestone PALACE with the money they were making. When I say 'palace', I'm talkin' big. I'm building a limestone 'chateau'. But a palace it ain't. No domed central rotunda. Under fifty thousand square feet. Brick floors down, scrubbed Cypress up, not Marble and Parquet de Versailles, like theirs. Outside my door, there's an orchard, then a meadow, then forest. Outside their door, there are fountains and parterres and grand allees. When the grandiose gates opened for our car, our sons in the back seat started humming the Beverly Hillbillies Driveway Theme. All this built by faith-filled grannies, sending in their little five Dollar offerings, to "keep the Word on the air". These Christian Dating sites give off the same vibe.

I don't like seeing Christianity cheapened by for-profit sleaze. And I don't like seeing G--'s name being taken in vain.

Anybody else feel this way? Am I wrong in my assumptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times
Install AdBlocker in Google Chrome.

Thread solved.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,537,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Am I wrong in my assumptions?
Yes.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM

662 posts, read 1,259,397 times
Thank you for my new word today.

A parterre is a formal garden construction on a level surface consisting of planting beds, edged in stone or tightly clipped hedging, and gravel paths arranged to form a pleasing, usually symmetrical pattern.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Ear stumps?
lol!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:16 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times
There may be a FireFox extension for ad blocking but I don't know of any off top of my head.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:24 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Quote:
Anybody else feel this way? Am I wrong in my assumptions?
Yes. No.

I'm a Christian myself but one of my favorite similes is: "That guy/gal is phonier than a TV preacher!" Gotta watch where I say it though b/c some people think that anyone who utters the name of G-- must be okay. They forget though that the Antichrist will be coming for G--'s own people. I'm not even much of a churchgoer either but I consider it my mission to separate out Truth from all the lies that are coming at us, all the time, everywhere.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
There may be a FireFox extension for ad blocking but I don't know of any off top of my head.
AdBlock Plus

Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
I got an e mail today that came into my regular e mail, not even my spam...something about singles over 50. What?!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 PM

662 posts, read 1,259,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I got an e mail today that came into my regular e mail, not even my spam...something about singles over 50. What?!
Not much gets by a Gmail account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships