Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times

Advertisements

He spent around $1000--which was a TON of money at the time! (We were in college )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Reading all of this made me think of my parents. They are both deceased, may they rest in peace, but I have my mothers engagement and wedding ring. They are a yellow gold, and I am not much on the yellow gold, but I would actually think it would be very meaningful if I could somehow use her rings and incorporate them possibly with some white gold for my rings.

I have a very dainty ring that I sometimes wear on my right hand that is mixed golds and is very pretty.

OP are you thinking of buying a ring soon?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
So now it's three months salary? Just goes to show you that the diamond industry loves to take advantage of suckers. I don't feel sorry at all for the guys that blow a sh*tload of money on a ring.
Um...NO. Did you not read? That's just marketing campaign garbage.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:26 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I know we sparred a bit on the other thread, but here we have found some common ground. It seems like when you tell them it's for a wedding, a $100 bouquet of flowers becomes $250. Some wedding dress cost an insane $15000+! I get the ring, because the woman wears that forever, but $15k for a dress that will be worn only once? That I don't understand.
You come across as a know-it-all elitist for knowing things like how much a wedding dress costs. You must be really proud of yourself for knowing that.

Sounds silly, doesn't it? Just sayin'...

Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
So now it's three months salary?
The diamond industry has been saying that for as long as I can remember, which is at least two or three decades. As previously noted, people don't tend to follow it.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 AM

803 posts, read 1,668,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Um...NO. Did you not read? That's just marketing campaign garbage.
Um... YES. I did read. I'm well aware that it's marketing garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
The diamond industry has been saying that for as long as I can remember, which is at least two or three decades. As previously noted, people don't tend to follow it.
It's funny because I remember one or two jewelers saying "two month's salary" while growing up.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
You come across as a know-it-all elitist for knowing things like how much a wedding dress costs. You must be really proud of yourself for knowing that.

My wife watches a lot of "Say 'Yes' to the Dress." Yeah, I've learned a bit about wedding dresses. Now it's time for you to learn a bit about olive branches.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That's what the diamond marketing industry says. People that have any sense don't fall for that nonsense.
Agreed. If you are proposing to a woman who cares about the cost of the ring, you are proposing to the wrong woman.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
This subject has been discussed to death on this forum. I don't know why people keep asking this question, over and over and over. The amount one spends on an engagement ring is clearly dependent on what you can afford. Sure there are rings that go for many thousands of dollars. Sure, there are guys that spend well over the silly "3 months salary" marketing crapola. But those people most likely have an income that is far FAR above what is considered "average". And as we all know, like anything else, the more you have of something, the less valuable is it. So those people with a lot of disposable income will be much more inclined to throw a lot more at a ring than the average buyer. It's what YOU can afford. It's really just that simple.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:

I don't think he does. I think he was agreeing with what you were saying. He may just be throwing out some figures.

You know, I've been watching a few wedding type shows and I would be willing to bet his figures are pretty close.

When I think of (this is going to be such opposite as far as what they are for) the beautiful flowers I get on different occasions of the year to put on my parents graves, and they are far larger than a bridal bouquet, they are much less expensive.

I do think the different industries take advantage of people when they hear the word "wedding." It is a time to cash in. Supply and demand. They know you need it and can charge what ever they wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships