Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotamkin_Renesmee View Post
I know for me, this is the case. When I found out that my significant other likes the same kind of music that I do while we were dating, that did influence the way I felt about him. I can honestly say that if he listened to mostly (or only) country music or classic rock, I probably wouldn't have allowed my feelings for him to escalate. Music is a BIG part of my life and, I like what I like. Which is not to say that couples can't have different tastes in music, because a lot of them do. It's just that country and classic rock are types of music that I couldn't ever tolerate on a daily or regular basis. Hearing it makes my skin crawl; I'd rather listen to nothing than listen to that type of music, but that's just me. Most people have a certain type of music that they just couldn't or wouldn't want to tolerate on a regular basis, no matter how appealing or awesome the person they're interested in is.

So, if you really liked a particular guy or woman and liked a lot of things about them but then found out that the music they listen to is music that you absolutely can't stand or couldn't see yourself tolerating, would that be the defining factor as to whether you pursued that person further?
Music is absolutely important to me.. and it would have to be important to any woman that I was with, thankfully Mrs. Chow and I agree on about 90% of the music choices... I go off and have some more eclectic stuff that I like, but we like a lot of the same music.....

She turned me on to some and I turned her on to some.. so it works out nice.

I couldn't be with a woman that like only rap or only country, or whatever, I have a huge swing in the things I like and once again, so does Mrs. Chow, so I'm lucky that way.....

Metallica to George Straight to Frank Sinatra to Run-DMC....

You name it.... I just might have the CD.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,192,605 times
No, because it's not like I'm always listening to music with another person. I don't care and as long as the music is good, I'm willing to at least give it a listen. Who knows...? I might find something new and interesting to listen to.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,285 times
It would factor in if they listened to really really ugly rap with lots of cursing. I just dont wan to listen that crap. Otherwise I wouldnt care, jazz, hiphop, classical, classic rock whatever.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:10 PM

106 posts, read 193,202 times
A lame taste in music isn't exactly a dealbreaker for me, but I find it really attractive when someone has a similar taste in music as me and likes a variety of music and is always looking for new music to listen to. Music is kind of a big deal to me and I love finding new, eclectic stuff.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Totally. There are a few artists that I really love, that are a bit on the obscure end of things. If someone likes those artisits, I am instantly charmed! Since I meet so few people who like artists from that list.

On the whole, we need to have some overlap. But it doesn't need to be 100%. I like to listen to new things.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,577,988 times
Met my fiance at a concert. Had she said she likes Bon Jovi I might be on the dating sites right now, but I would regret it. Music matters, but it's not the end all.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 AM

830 posts, read 1,665,581 times
Default Music? Nah...

No, it doesn't. And I don't understand how people beyond the age of 20 care about something like that. A couple of guys my age asked me that recently, and I'm thinking why do they care? I don't listen to the music of my peers and I'm absolutely sure I've never heard of the bands they like. Asking me "what kind of music do you listen to?" doesn't help them to get to know me better.

I could understand musical taste being important if you're a musical professional or someone who is passionate about music as a hobby.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,132 times
Quote:
So, if you really liked a particular guy or woman and liked a lot of things about them but then found out that the music they listen to is music that you absolutely can't stand or couldn't see yourself tolerating, would that be the defining factor as to whether you pursued that person further?
Let me get this right out, I hate country music. HATE IT!! Moreso, I hate things country and western. She dresses in jeans and cowgirl boots, wears cowboy hats, listens to country music, etc. These things to me are complete dealbreakers. If I meet a girl like this, then she is instantly put into the "I'll just bang this chick but would never get serious with her" category.

I listen to and like pretty much all other types of music, but country is just vomit inducing torturous crap. I'd bang a chick like that, but never get into a relationship.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 AM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
I know for me, this is the case. When I found out that my significant other likes the same kind of music that I do while we were dating, that did influence the way I felt about him. I can honestly say that if he listened to mostly (or only) country music or classic rock, I probably wouldn't have allowed my feelings for him to escalate. Music is a BIG part of my life and, I like what I like. Which is not to say that couples can't have different tastes in music, because a lot of them do. It's just that country and classic rock are types of music that I couldn't ever tolerate on a daily or regular basis. Hearing it makes my skin crawl; I'd rather listen to nothing than listen to that type of music, but that's just me. Most people have a certain type of music that they just couldn't or wouldn't want to tolerate on a regular basis, no matter how appealing or awesome the person they're interested in is.

YES. Music is a huge part of my life. I can be pretty passionate about it. I love most kinds, and would hope that anyone I was with has a similar enjoyment. I wouldn't want to be with anyone that listened to only rap...or only heavy metal....etc. I do happen to enjoy both classic rock and country, but hopefully they would not listen to just those genres.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Yeah...it's a big deal.

I'm presently in a marriage where we have some overlap, but while I don't subject him to a lot of the stuff I like that he doesn't (such as 80's goth and geekpop, techno, classical or big band jazz) he DOES subject me to music I loathe and it drives me NUTS. (This would be hair metal, such as Ratt, Manowar, basically anything with the high voices and tight pants. Ick.)

So while I do think that if I became a single woman one day, I might just stay that way, if I didn't I'd be drawing from a very selective dating pool and if the guy wasn't excited to go hang out with GWAR, then forget it. Those guys mean a lot to me and I plan travels every year to go to their shows. However this hypothetical guy would also have not not be exclusively a metalhead, and open to a variety of musical styles. I've met metal fans who took their metal fandom way too seriously, and I don't want to hear about this or that "scene" or "-core." So the question of what music a person likes, in my reckoning, spills over into their attitude and lifestyle.

No country or rap fan has a chance with me. And if a male friend tells me they like some cutesy girly-girl Lillith Fair estrogen fest music with acoustic guitar, I immediately want to revoke their man card. (This has happened. Turns out he didn't have a man card to begin with. I was not surprised.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships