Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 AM

7 posts, read 17,040 times

Advertisements

Ok so I already made a thread here about getting friendzoned and this is kind of a continuation of this. Long story short, knew a girl for a little bit (more like acquaintances) then she got a boyfriend, and THEN we started to get close. Boyfriend was a total dick, then would always fight, break up, get back together, on and on lol. She finally called it off early last semester. I had been her “best/closest guy friend” (her words) and about a month and half after she broke up with the other guy she really came on to me (we were both pretty drunk) but she was so bad that we just took her home. But she planted a seed and since I already liked her, it would be stupid not to make a move/tell her how I feel. I’d still be torturing myself if I didn’t haha. But anyways a couple weeks later I tell her how I felt (and then some…probably should have done it sober) and she kinda gave me the typical friendzone response, “one of the nicest guys ever…lets not make things awkward…sorry for leading on you”, etc… Part of the reason I thought I had a chance was because even though I was her closest guy friend, she never really used me as an emotional rag and I tried not to meddle with her relationship like other friends did because I didn’t want to make it obvious that I liked her. In all honesty, I probably use her more than she uses me (we’re in a lot of the same classes, hw help, get into parties).

I have no regrets though. Sure, outcome kinda sucks but I’d be torturing myself if I said nothing. Now moving forward I’m struggling a bit. She wants to move forward like nothing happened. I’m trying to limit my contact with her for a little bit. I never initiate anything anymore and won’t go out of my way to sit with her in a class, short responses to texts, etc… It still feels so damn weird haha. When I see her I want things to be normal but at the same time it kind of sucks and don’t really want to even see her.

Some of my friends think she just needs more time to get over her ex, he really scarred her, since it hasn’t been that long since they broke up (and I don’t think she wants to turn into Taylor Swift haha). It was her first relationship and he was so verbally abusive towards her and honestly towards the end it sounded like he was getting close to physical (…yet she still went back to him one final time). So maybe, but I don’t think so, I obviously don’t sweep her off her feet.

So I don’t like kind of ignoring her but hey I don’t want to get suckered into something again. Like she went to some place like a Dave and Busters with a school group and she told me she got me a late Christmas gift. I was like “uh thanks I didn’t get you anything haha”. I didn’t know what to do, I’d almost rather her not have gotten something (haven’t picked it up from her yet lol).

Anyways, I think time can heal a lot of things and I’ll eventually get over it. Already feel more free and starting to talk to some different girls (which hell I’m 19, I should be talking to as many as I can lolol).

Now the other part to my question. My friend/housemate. Probably my best friend since coming to college. But starting the beginning of this year, I noticed that we are starting to grow apart/get on each others nerves, etc…more and more. One of the problems is he can be really clingy and kinda sensitive to little things. I don’t even know what is going on lol. He just annoys me a lot more than normal and I can tell there are little things that I do that get on his nerves too. Part of the problem is that we do almost everything together. Part of this is by choice and part of this is because we live a lot farther away from most of our friends.

I think our different backgrounds/personalities are catching up to us. I went to an all-guys high school in Philadelphia and most of my friends from home were dudes (and probably why I suck with girls so much ahaha :/). He is from a small town and said he never had many guy friends but a lot of friends that were girls (which you wouldn’t guess by looking at him, he looks very masculine). I think sometimes he takes my teasing the wrong way, going to an all guys school hardens you up a bit haha. He gets so sensitive over some of the stupidest crap lol

He had a somewhat serious girlfriend who was/is still in high school. They broke up suddenly and I did not really know why. Everyone was asking me why and I’m like I have no clue and I didn’t want to prod too much for details. Over the summer they broke up for a bit, but that was because they had a pregnancy scare and that really shook them a bit.

But later I found out kind of why. So I was at a Christmas party over break and the girl who friendzoned me was there and she let something slip. Well it took awhile, but I eventually badgered her enough that she told me that he cheated on his girlfriend. Later, when he finally told me, he said it was multiple times (with the same girl at least. Obviously doesn’t make it better though). The girl he did it with wasn’t nearly as attractive as his gf but they were really close and got along really well. But when I found out they did it more than once and over the span of a few months, things started to make more sense (why he was acting funny).

Now honestly, I don’t care about that. Maybe I should, but I am not getting involved. My opinion is that he f***ed up and she should see other people for the time being (she’s still only 17 lol). He says that he thinks they will get back together later in the year (he did tell her about him cheating, which I am glad) and when people ask if he has a girlfriend, he says its complicated.

I don’t even know why all that was important, but I think it kind of explains why he has been acting weird the past few months.

So the combination of getting friendzoned by my best friend that is a girl and growing apart from my best guy friend really sucks haha.

I don’t want to run away from my problems, but I’m pledging a fraternity (was going to pledge a different one last semester but got sick and had to drop out. So I’m not just doing it to escape). I would like to expand my social group. Funny thing is my best guy friend is rushing the same fraternity and I think he’ll end up getting a bid. Thing is I don’t see him joining a fraternity at all and he would always make fun of me for wanting to join one lol. So I was surprised when he wanted to go to a rush event with me. We’ll see. Part of me thinks it would awesome to be in the same fraternity as him and part of me kind of wants to do it on my own so I don’t know.

Kind of just wanted to use this post to rant/ask for feedback/help, etc… Don’t really know what I’m doing, just seems like my social circle has been a little out of whack lately.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 03:38 PM

127 posts, read 154,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bceagles22 View Post
Ok so I already made a thread here about getting friendzoned and this is kind of a continuation of this. Long story short, knew a girl for a little bit (more like acquaintances) then she got a boyfriend, and THEN we started to get close. Boyfriend was a total dick, then would always fight, break up, get back together, on and on lol. She finally called it off early last semester. I had been her “best/closest guy friend” (her words) and about a month and half after she broke up with the other guy she really came on to me (we were both pretty drunk) but she was so bad that we just took her home. But she planted a seed and since I already liked her, it would be stupid not to make a move/tell her how I feel. I’d still be torturing myself if I didn’t haha. But anyways a couple weeks later I tell her how I felt (and then some…probably should have done it sober) and she kinda gave me the typical friendzone response, “one of the nicest guys ever…lets not make things awkward…sorry for leading on you”, etc… Part of the reason I thought I had a chance was because even though I was her closest guy friend, she never really used me as an emotional rag and I tried not to meddle with her relationship like other friends did because I didn’t want to make it obvious that I liked her. In all honesty, I probably use her more than she uses me (we’re in a lot of the same classes, hw help, get into parties).

I have no regrets though. Sure, outcome kinda sucks but I’d be torturing myself if I said nothing. Now moving forward I’m struggling a bit. She wants to move forward like nothing happened. I’m trying to limit my contact with her for a little bit. I never initiate anything anymore and won’t go out of my way to sit with her in a class, short responses to texts, etc… It still feels so damn weird haha. When I see her I want things to be normal but at the same time it kind of sucks and don’t really want to even see her.

Some of my friends think she just needs more time to get over her ex, he really scarred her, since it hasn’t been that long since they broke up (and I don’t think she wants to turn into Taylor Swift haha). It was her first relationship and he was so verbally abusive towards her and honestly towards the end it sounded like he was getting close to physical (…yet she still went back to him one final time). So maybe, but I don’t think so, I obviously don’t sweep her off her feet.

So I don’t like kind of ignoring her but hey I don’t want to get suckered into something again. Like she went to some place like a Dave and Busters with a school group and she told me she got me a late Christmas gift. I was like “uh thanks I didn’t get you anything haha”. I didn’t know what to do, I’d almost rather her not have gotten something (haven’t picked it up from her yet lol).

Anyways, I think time can heal a lot of things and I’ll eventually get over it. Already feel more free and starting to talk to some different girls (which hell I’m 19, I should be talking to as many as I can lolol).

Now the other part to my question. My friend/housemate. Probably my best friend since coming to college. But starting the beginning of this year, I noticed that we are starting to grow apart/get on each others nerves, etc…more and more. One of the problems is he can be really clingy and kinda sensitive to little things. I don’t even know what is going on lol. He just annoys me a lot more than normal and I can tell there are little things that I do that get on his nerves too. Part of the problem is that we do almost everything together. Part of this is by choice and part of this is because we live a lot farther away from most of our friends.

I think our different backgrounds/personalities are catching up to us. I went to an all-guys high school in Philadelphia and most of my friends from home were dudes (and probably why I suck with girls so much ahaha :/). He is from a small town and said he never had many guy friends but a lot of friends that were girls (which you wouldn’t guess by looking at him, he looks very masculine). I think sometimes he takes my teasing the wrong way, going to an all guys school hardens you up a bit haha. He gets so sensitive over some of the stupidest crap lol

He had a somewhat serious girlfriend who was/is still in high school. They broke up suddenly and I did not really know why. Everyone was asking me why and I’m like I have no clue and I didn’t want to prod too much for details. Over the summer they broke up for a bit, but that was because they had a pregnancy scare and that really shook them a bit.

But later I found out kind of why. So I was at a Christmas party over break and the girl who friendzoned me was there and she let something slip. Well it took awhile, but I eventually badgered her enough that she told me that he cheated on his girlfriend. Later, when he finally told me, he said it was multiple times (with the same girl at least. Obviously doesn’t make it better though). The girl he did it with wasn’t nearly as attractive as his gf but they were really close and got along really well. But when I found out they did it more than once and over the span of a few months, things started to make more sense (why he was acting funny).

Now honestly, I don’t care about that. Maybe I should, but I am not getting involved. My opinion is that he f***ed up and she should see other people for the time being (she’s still only 17 lol). He says that he thinks they will get back together later in the year (he did tell her about him cheating, which I am glad) and when people ask if he has a girlfriend, he says its complicated.

I don’t even know why all that was important, but I think it kind of explains why he has been acting weird the past few months.

So the combination of getting friendzoned by my best friend that is a girl and growing apart from my best guy friend really sucks haha.

I don’t want to run away from my problems, but I’m pledging a fraternity (was going to pledge a different one last semester but got sick and had to drop out. So I’m not just doing it to escape). I would like to expand my social group. Funny thing is my best guy friend is rushing the same fraternity and I think he’ll end up getting a bid. Thing is I don’t see him joining a fraternity at all and he would always make fun of me for wanting to join one lol. So I was surprised when he wanted to go to a rush event with me. We’ll see. Part of me thinks it would awesome to be in the same fraternity as him and part of me kind of wants to do it on my own so I don’t know.

Kind of just wanted to use this post to rant/ask for feedback/help, etc… Don’t really know what I’m doing, just seems like my social circle has been a little out of whack lately.

Thanks!!!
She's playing games with you. Cut her off and lose her number.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:02 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
I agree, cease all contact immediately. If you don't you will be strung along and toyed with for months or even years.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 PM

757 posts, read 1,103,435 times
Quote:

Thanks!!!
I'm not reading all that lol but you mentioned something about friend zone so yea cut her off, who ever she is

Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM

662 posts, read 1,260,222 times
Quote:

Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
I'm not reading all that lol but you mentioned something about friend zone so yea cut her off, who ever she is
Ditto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships