Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
I can't believe everyone advocating not eating.

Whatever works I guess...
I didn't see anyone advocating not eating.

I don't think she has to eat the same foods and portions he does and I don't think she has to eat on his schedule either. If that is causing her to gain weight she needs to get back to her old habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
I can't believe everyone advocating not eating.

Whatever works I guess...
"Not eating at all" is not a good plan, of course.

But I've done weight loss with exercise and without. When I didn't control my eating, the exercise had almost no effect on my weight.

If she wants/expects to be able to eat WITH him at most meals, she will have to cut back on what she eats when he's not around.

I have 3 big boys; I cook like it's a truck stop here. But when they are at school, I severely cut back on what I eat.

Right now I don't think they are at the stage where she should worry so much about his diet, but should control hers since that's all she can control.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post

I don't think she has to eat the same foods and portions he does and I don't think she has to eat on his schedule either. If that is causing her to gain weight she needs to get back to her old habits.
Exactly!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post

Having shakes instead of food, a glass of wine instead of dinner, eating only salad, etc. etc. etc.

Like I said - whatever works - I personally wouldn't take this approach to weight loss but, again, do whatever works for you.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Having shakes instead of food, a glass of wine instead of dinner, eating only salad, etc. etc. etc.

Like I said - whatever works - I personally wouldn't take this approach to weight loss but, again, do whatever works for you.
Eating salad is a far cry from "not eating".

Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:

Well, to be fair when I have a glass of wine instead of dinner, it's not that I haven't eaten that day. I've already consumed my calories earlier because I know I've got something planned that I can't eat (because of food allergies). We usually don't eat dinner until 7:30 which some days is too late for me to wait.

Salad...I don't see the issue with that. When I have a salad it's a meal. Grilled chicken, spinach leaves/spring mix, a bunch of veggies..etc. It's not like I'm eating 5 lettuce leaves and then claiming "I"m full".

On those Friday nights when I don't participate in dinner, again it's because it's late. We leave the house at 5:30, they get out of the locker room at 8pm and that's just too late for me to eat something significant. I will eat a big snack in the car on the way there and then have coffee.

I don't starve myself. I eat a pretty clean and balanced diet.

I don't do shakes but now I see that post you are referring to. Didn't see that before.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,173 times
You guys don't need to defend yourselves, honestly, it's a lifestyle choice and if it works for you, that's great.

I recall ChessieMom bashing some of my lifestyle choices a few short days ago, and that's fine too. Not everyone is going to make the same choices.

My diet is far from perfect, I'm clearly not the one to be preaching about eating habits. I do, however, see far too many friends not eating properly, starving themselves, working out compulsively, skipping meals, all that sort of thing, and it does concern me.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Welcome to my world!

My suggestions:

On date nights, have a high-protein snack no more than an hour before you see him, like a 2.5-ounce packet of tuna. 80 calories, 18 grams of protein. Sure, it will ruin your appetite. That's the point. You can still have a little bit of what he makes, but you probably won't be inclined to overeat.

Ramp that exercise time up from 3 times a week to 5 or 6 times a week. Make sure you're working with weights to build your muscle mass, and get in a good 30 minutes of cardio every time you work out.

Understand that he's a grown man and he is going to eat what he wants, so worrying about his diet is an exercise in futility. Stay true to your own regimens and keep your meals with him down to 1 or 2 per week.

Watch the booze when you're with him, as imbibing can make it difficult to tell when you're full, give you an inclination to snack, or make you toss caution and good sense out the window.

Allow yourself one day a week of eating whatever you want, however much you want. My days like that are with my man. Plus, it keeps your metabolism from going into "starvation" mode and slowing down.

And when all else fails, forgo dessert for sex.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
Eat whatcha want, but lead an active lifestyle (says the guy sitting in front of his macbook eating a bowl of ice cream).

Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
I do, however, see far too many friends not eating properly, starving themselves, working out compulsively, skipping meals, all that sort of thing, and it does concern me.
The hard truth about weight maintenance is that the only way to prevent weight GAIN is to limit your caloric intake.

If you don't exercise, eating less is a crucial part of the equation.

For some, the limits on what you can actually eat are much more severe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships