Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 02:07 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
An excellent point you brought up about the loss of competitive males through warfare. Historically, this has always benefited the surviving population of men to compete and find 'a' woman (or more).

Elites have traditionally sent the strong young males off to fight and die for their interests which not only economically benefited them, but the ancillary benefit of increasing the amount of female to male ratio and leaving more 'maidens' for the 'taken'. Especially when in past women had few occupational outlets to make themselves economically self sufficient.

Many of most desirable would be 'bound' to someone for survival.

Reminds me of a burlesque comedic song "Who Paid the Rent for Mrs Rip Van Winkle when Rip Van Winkle went away?"
So it was a win win, either you died and did not have to worry about it or you got a hottie because she was dependant upon you and would wait on you because she had no other options. Other than technology I wonder if we are really better off these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
So it was a win win, either you died and did not have to worry about it or you got a hottie because she was dependant upon you and would wait on you because she had no other options. Other than technology I wonder if we are really better off these days.

Here's an example from a classic Ingmar Bergman film, the Seventh Seal, see 29:00 through 32:00

[Ingmar Bergman The Seventh Seal] - YouTube

Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I am dealing with a best friend who is doing this right now, he claims he is just attracted to who he is attracted too and does not want to "settle". He is now seeking chemical castration after he just dumped a woman who wants to be with him because she was a little too heavy?
Oh my! That seems a bit of an overreaction!

I know a lot of men like this though. They complain no one wants them, but they only choose a woman based on their looks, they are say 45, overweight, don't want to take care of themselves, don't even want to brush their teeth! Then are offended when the tight, fit, hot, 23 year old supermodel doesn't want to go out with them. Yet the nice 40 year old woman would gladly give them the time of day, but she's well, gross cause she's 40 and 10 lbs overweight! How dare someone expect him to date her! The humanity! But she's perfectly NICE! And not ugly in any way. But then the man complains that the supermodel girl is mean and only cares about money and screws him over and uses him. Well what do you expect?!?!

I dated a "nice guy" before. That is what attracted me to him, and for months he was a nice guy, always to me. But eventually he dropped out of high school, refused to get a job, and decided to sit at home in his grandma's basement watching TV all day, refusing to leave the house. When his family told him enough, he started having tantrums, kicking dents in his car and throwing pool balls across the room. That was when I'd had enough.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:48 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post

I know a lot of men like this though. They complain no one wants them, but they only choose a woman based on their looks, they are say 45, overweight, don't want to take care of themselves, don't even want to brush their teeth! Then are offended when the tight, fit, hot, 23 year old supermodel doesn't want to go out with them.
I typically speak of myself in such a way online that would give a woman an impression I look something of the description you gave.

I'm no billionaire and may never be. But if I ever became a billionaire I know myself and I'd likely say I was assembly worker that earns minimum wage--or a house painter. The latter would not be totally a lie as that's my main trade and I identify with that identification for some reason. If I were a dentist I would probably tell women I was a house painter.

I have this view that contrary to what women say that 99% of women (maybe 1% do) do not care an ounce about "who a man is" in the interior. Aside from adding on all sorts of ads hocs like "exercising or having a Ph.D. says a lot about his interior and character," women are as superficial as men. And yes, I say men are superficial. In so far as men aren't generally concerned with the "interior" of a woman.

But woman complain that men rejecting women that are overweight or starving artists with no college degree etc.... are shallow and not choosing women for "what's inside them."

I don't complain about women not wanting me though. I'm rather indifferent to being desired and/or not desired. Whatever I do is for myself and not to attract the opposite sex. I once defended a group of black male-become-female transsexuals on the street when some black guys were talking trash to them. And I did not care if it made me look bad to the tough men on those streets or the women looking on that are server in their discrimination of men. I other words, doing what I did made me look bad in the hyper-masculine culture of Hip Hop. But what I did was for me--or those transsexuals--and not for heterosexual women. Plus, those transsexuals looked as good or better than a lot of women.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post

I know a lot of men like this though. They complain no one wants them, but they only choose a woman based on their looks, they are say 45, overweight, don't want to take care of themselves, don't even want to brush their teeth! Then are offended when the tight, fit, hot, 23 year old supermodel doesn't want to go out with them. Yet the nice 40 year old woman would gladly give them the time of day, but she's well, gross cause she's 40 and 10 lbs overweight! How dare someone expect him to date her! The humanity! But she's perfectly NICE! And not ugly in any way. But then the man complains that the supermodel girl is mean and only cares about money and screws him over and uses him. Well what do you expect?!?!
Men are certainly not the only ones guilty of this. I've met many young fat to obese girls that only want the hottest finest guys who are in great shape.

Quote:
I dated a "nice guy" before. That is what attracted me to him, and for months he was a nice guy, always to me. But eventually he dropped out of high school, refused to get a job, and decided to sit at home in his grandma's basement watching TV all day, refusing to leave the house. When his family told him enough, he started having tantrums, kicking dents in his car and throwing pool balls across the room. That was when I'd had enough.
What made you think this guy was nice in the first place? Just because he said he was.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Men are certainly not the only ones guilty of this. I've met many young fat to obese girls that only want the hottest finest guys who are in great shape.
Oh no, I totally agree! But the person I quoted wasn't talking about women so I didn't bring that part up. But, I haven't know personally as many women to do that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
What made you think this guy was nice in the first place? Just because he said he was.
No, he didn't claim to be. Perhaps it just took awhile to get to know him? I was a LOT younger, barely out of high school. I never said I was smart when it came to men back then! Young teens tend to make mistakes, and learn, ya know? We dated a few months and he was quiet, laid back, and quite nice. But that's part of dating - you get to know the person. It's not like I lived with him or was engaged to him or was around him 24/7 to know, you know? I'ts not like I spent years with him either. After a few months I saw the real person, so I left.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I typically speak of myself in such a way online that would give a woman an impression I look something of the description you gave.

I'm no billionaire and may never be. But if I ever became a billionaire I know myself and I'd likely say I was assembly worker that earns minimum wage--or a house painter. The latter would not be totally a lie as that's my main trade and I identify with that identification for some reason. If I were a dentist I would probably tell women I was a house painter.

I have this view that contrary to what women say that 99% of women (maybe 1% do) do not care an ounce about "who a man is" in the interior. Aside from adding on all sorts of ads hocs like "exercising or having a Ph.D. says a lot about his interior and character," women are as superficial as men. And yes, I say men are superficial. In so far as men aren't generally concerned with the "interior" of a woman.

But woman complain that men rejecting women that are overweight or starving artists with no college degree etc.... are shallow and not choosing women for "what's inside them."

I don't complain about women not wanting me though. I'm rather indifferent to being desired and/or not desired. Whatever I do is for myself and not to attract the opposite sex. I once defended a group of black male-become-female transsexuals on the street when some black guys were talking trash to them. And I did not care if it made me look bad to the tough men on those streets or the women looking on that are server in their discrimination of men. I other words, doing what I did made me look bad in the hyper-masculine culture of Hip Hop. But what I did was for me--or those transsexuals--and not for heterosexual women. Plus, those transsexuals looked as good or better than a lot of women.
I would lie, too, don't blame ya there. I think that's why DH and I were so good together - we met online and talked first, with no intention of ever meeting or getting together. It was just a happy accident out of boredom. We didn't care what the other did or what we looked like. I think that works better, as there are no weird expectations. We both were low income, non-educated and just didn't care about things like that.

Yeah... a lot of transsexuals do look better! And good for you, for standing up to them.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:42 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've heard so called nice guys complaining about "finishing last" all the time, but I am wondering if they actual realize that they are not very nice.

For example, I found so called nice guys always have this "victim" mentality which I found to be very annoying.

They claim:

I don't drink - but they have no problems complaining their girlfriend have a drinking problem. (turned out the girl only drinks socially)

I respect my parents - turn out they are still living with their parents and when girl asked the legitimate question, "when will you be independent" The dude immediately got defensive and accused of the girl of being "disrespectful"

I don't go out - turn out they are suffering from social phobia, have absolutely no abilities to social with anybody

Here is the ultimate,

ALl women want jerks, are shallow, are materialistic, like to be abused. It is all women's fault, not mine.

So when people tell me they are nice guy who finishes last, this is a red flag to me. What are your thoughts?
It should be a red flag. Not the "I'm a nice guy" part necessarily...of course I'm a nice guy and so should be that guy over there. It's the other drivel that comes out after it you've mentioned that's the loser talk. These are just men who can't handle reality, and you shouldn't waste your time with guys like that.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 PM

217 posts, read 307,460 times
I agree with a lot of things that are being said here. One thing I don't agree with, however, is that nice guys "feel entitled" to reap rewards from their nicety. It has not been my observations that nice guys expect something in return. The reason "nice guys" are nice is because they're timid and they know that being nice is a low-risk, low-reward way of trying to pursue women.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:12 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Nice guys still want something in return. They may not pursue it, but deep down they want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships