Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Like I said quantifiable things..

I’ve never heard anyone say they can’t put any finger on their attraction to someone it’s strictly some sort of spark or jolt they can’t explain lol..
If you're expecting love and sex and attraction to be entirely quantifiable, that might explain the problem you have making romantic connections. Like Sonic said earlier, people don't make a spreadsheet about what draws them to other people. It's a gut feeling. It's not that different than trying to explain what's funny or why something is your favorite food. Your description might dance around and hint the actual feeling, but it's something you just know and sense and feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 12:23 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Just to provide my update. I’m not a nice guy, I’m an a-hole and proud of it. I think being your true honest self leaves you better off than pretending to be a nice guy if that ain’t what you truly about. Think women respect honest guys who make no secret that they are rough around the edges more than a nice guy who is putting on an act and thinks he is fooling people.
For me...

I'm not a nice guy. I'm polite, reasonable, could be an a-hole when I need to be. And am not proud of it when I am. Nice, jerk, better to be your true self no matter what your personality is...as long as you live and let live...

Old 11-13-2018, 12:25 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Do you feel falling in love is quantifiable as well? Have you ever fallen in love within a romantic relationship? What items on the list of tangible attributes caused the falling in love?
To me it was just wanting to be around that person but there were reasons why I wanted to be around them..Like the fact that you can talk to that person for hours bonded with them showed affection to each other etc it wasn’t this unexplainable thing

Old 11-13-2018, 12:26 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
To me it was just wanting to be around that person but there were reasons why I wanted to be around them..Like the fact that you can talk to that person for hours bonded with them showed affection to each other etc it wasn’t this unexplainable thing

So if you can talk to someone for hours and show affection to them, you will fall in love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If you're expecting love and sex and attraction to be entirely quantifiable, that might explain the problem you have making romantic connections. Like Sonic said earlier, people don't make a spreadsheet about what draws them to other people. It's a gut feeling. It's not that different than trying to explain what's funny or why something is your favorite food. Your description might dance around and hint the actual feeling, but it's something you just know and sense and feel.
Yup. If someone asks me why I am attracted to them, I can tell them reasons... but those are attributes I like about them. It's not the real 'reason' I feel chemistry with them, or am attracted to them. Those aren't quantifiable.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Of course it not a spreadsheet but it’s also not totally unexplainable..

Like you have no reason or something to point to or explain why you love them..Like they have no personality traits you admire or never were there for you or cared for you it’s simply this unexplainable things lol.

Of course there’s tangible traits you love about them and can explain part of the love is my point otherwise you could fall in love with a mass murderer because it’s simply a feeling baes on nothing u can explain lol

Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
JBT, this is how I feel about my children and my sister.

And it's probably never actually explainable. We think of it that way because it's more or less impossible to bring all the many subconscious factors into the forefront of our beta-wave (fully awake/conscious/directed) thinking at the same time. We'd likely explode.

So you probably will never be able to "explain" it all consciously as one neat little package. But yes, that combination of factors we can't quite consciously identify DO have to be there. That's natural.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So if you can talk to someone for hours and show affection to them, you will fall in love?

Yup. If someone asks me why I am attracted to them, I can tell them reasons... but those are attributes I like about them. It's not the real 'reason' I feel chemistry with them, or am attracted to them. Those aren't quantifiable.
No but those have to be there..I don’t know why those bonding reasons I listed to you are such a goofy reason to be in love but you’re unquantifiable reasons by some signal in your brains or pheromones that makes you attatched to someone is much better.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
I'm not doubting your word but this, too, can be a story we tell ourselves.

I've seen people say the above - "Oh, I can talk to her for hours, etc." - putting that down to why they want to be romantic with the woman and feel "a connection," yet they can talk for hours and be fully understood by a not quite as pretty woman, or a woman who's not very young, or whomever, and they don't feel a romantic connection.

It IS more than just the logical factors (at least, it's more than the story you're telling yourself as far as the logic behind the attraction).

Old 11-13-2018, 12:35 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
No but those have to be there..I don’t know why those reasons I listed to you are such a goofy reason to be in love but you’re unquantifiable reasons by some signal in your brains or pheromones is much better.

The point is, people do not CHOOSE to fall in love. It too is not quantifiable.
We can't fall in love on demand, and it isn't in our control.

You can meet someone who you get along with, have shared goals, great communication, talk for hours... or not talk for hours, find them physically attractive and even have good sex... and not fall in love with them.

You can meet someone with little of the above and fall madly in love with them.

Love and chemistry aren't equations or results from specific inputs.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm not doubting your word but this, too, can be a story we tell ourselves.

I've seen people say the above - "Oh, I can talk to her for hours, etc." - putting that down to why they want to be romantic with the woman and feel "a connection," yet they can talk for hours and be fully understood by a not quite as pretty woman, or a woman who's not very young, or whomever, and they don't feel a romantic connection.

I).
Well that’s why I’m saying it’s tangible..the physical mental and emotional have to be there..If i I had a bond with a women I found unattractive then it’s just a friend..same with if it was just physical attraction and nothing else.

If one is missing most people aren’t gonna have that “spark” that is supposedly the magic to attraction..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships