Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Suppose you have a great relationship with your mother, and your mother hates your girlfriend for whatever the reasons. You love your mother (And there is nothing wrong with it)

In order to keep the family harmony, will you dump your girlfriend because girlfriend comes and go, but there is only one mommy?

Please be honest. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Suppose you have a great relationship with your mother, and your mother hates your girlfriend for whatever the reasons. You love your mother (And there is nothing wrong with it)

In order to keep the family harmony, will you dump your girlfriend because girlfriend comes and go, but there is only one mommy?

Please be honest. Thanks
No.

Pretty sure my mother would never tell me to dumb my GF either.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
No.

That is nice to hear. But what if your mother does not get along with your girlfriend and think she is using you?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
No.

This. It's possible if I would have had a really horrible girlfriend as a teenager when I was living at home (I didn't), she might have told me to dump her, and I would have had no choice since I wasn't an adult. Now, as an adult, with a mother who is a senior citizen living hundreds of miles away from me, it's nearly impossible to imagine a situation where she would tell me to dump a girlfriend. That's not something we do in my family, really. We respect each other's decisions.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
This. It's possible if I would have had a really horrible girlfriend as a teenager when I was living at home (I didn't), she might have told me to dump her, and I would have had no choice since I wasn't an adult. Now, as an adult, with a mother who is a senior citizen living hundreds of miles away from me, it's nearly impossible to imagine a situation where she would tell me to dump a girlfriend. That's not something we do in my family, really. We respect each other's decisions.
What if you are super close to your mom and your mom does not like your fiancee, girlfriend, what would you do? Tell your mother to mind her own business?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
People need to make up their own minds about whether or not their relationships and friendships are right for them. It's part of being an adult. Any adult who is going to let his or her family dictate who is allowed in his or her life isn't emotionally mature enough for real relationships and friendships; emotional growth has stalled out at a much earlier developmental level.

Good parents know that you raise your children to be good judges of character, and then trust that your lessons will stick. You don't micromanage your adult children's friendships and relationships. You lay the foundation, and you step back and watch them grow.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
People need to make up their own minds about whether or not their relationships and friendships are right for them. It's part of being an adult. Any adult who is going to let his or her family dictate who is allowed in his or her life isn't emotionally mature enough for real relationships and friendships; emotional growth has stalled out at a much earlier developmental level.

Good parents know that you raise your children to be good judges of character, and then trust that your lessons will stick. You don't micromanage your adult children's friendships and relationships. You lay the foundation, and you step back and watch them grow.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What if you are super close to your mom and your mom does not like your fiancee, girlfriend, what would you do? Tell your mother to mind her own business?
I'm pretty close to my mom. I just can't imagine her telling me who to date as an adult. Because she normally wouldn't, though, if for some reason she did, I would actually probably take it pretty seriously. If I was dating someone who was that bad for me, though, I would probably have friends and others who would point it out to me before my mom would.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
My Mom wouldn't tell me that.

My Dad would have though, but he would have also had a good reason.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,260 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships