Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 02:40 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,918,814 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm weird. An acquaintancetold me that a friend of his who was at the gym was interested in me and pointed him out. I said I'd be happy to meet him, but that physically he wasn't really my type (I don't have a type, just a few "non-types" if you know what I mean).

My friend responded in shock since the guy was built like me and had a similar look and style. I don't choose to be thick, but if I'm in shape I'm just a large guy. I prefer more wiry/athletic (I'm built more like the Hulk; I prefer guys built like Bruce Banner ). Plus, the guy had facial hair (I have facial hair, I change the style every other month, but I don't like facial hair on guys).

He thought I was weird for that. Are you attracted to your own "type"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 06:35 PM

558 posts, read 2,244,005 times
Just like you so accurately pointed out, victorytampa, in the "Hey Mom & Dad I Think I'm Gay" thread..."there's no gay lifestyle"--I would suggest that the same is true for this question: everyone, gay and straight, would most likely answer this differently! Some people are attracted to someone similar to them, and some people are drawn to those very different from them. My very close friend from childhood is gay, and has had serious relationships with both - someone who was often mistaken for his brother, and is now with someone who is COMPLETELY different...including race!

I've actually wondered why this happens--all my life I was attracted to men my same height (5' 5") with dark hair, and then ended up married to someone 6' tall and blonde!!?? It will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks.....

Old 10-19-2007, 06:46 PM

28,843 posts, read 30,100,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
I guess I'm weird. An acquaintancetold me that a friend of his who was at the gym was interested in me and pointed him out. I said I'd be happy to meet him, but that physically he wasn't really my type (I don't have a type, just a few "non-types" if you know what I mean).

My friend responded in shock since the guy was built like me and had a similar look and style. I don't choose to be thick, but if I'm in shape I'm just a large guy. I prefer more wiry/athletic (I'm built more like the Hulk; I prefer guys built like Bruce Banner ). Plus, the guy had facial hair (I have facial hair, I change the style every other month, but I don't like facial hair on guys).

He thought I was weird for that. Are you attracted to your own "type"?
Hello there!

well, here's my 2 cents...

when I hear someone say, upon looking at someone, he's my type, or he's not my type...

well, how in the world do you know?

Do you know who you are....? One first has to know themselves, very well, before they venture into a relationship....otherwise, they will compromise who they are, simply to have someone in their lives....and that is not healthy...jumping in and out of relationships is not healthy.

I would say...your type is someone who thinks and feels like you....someone who holds steadfast the same morals which you have adoped for your own personal commitment...to you....if they respect themselves, they will in turn, respect you...and visa versa, but, if you don't enjoy yourself, like yourself, you will never enjoy anyone else, other then simply a roll in the hay....

Hugs
I'm still standing here in PA, leaning up against the wall, with sighs, looking at my biological clock.....and tapping my feet....

hehehehe....

Good evening, nice to see you....

Creme

Old 05-08-2014, 10:33 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,331,264 times
I am always attracted to different types. When I was younger I liked the darker hair/ darker skinned guys, but now I have been attracted to slim/thicker athletic type/and thinner types like myself. I don't think it's weird at all though to be attracted to people like yourself. I mean especially if you are comfortable in your skin!

Old 05-08-2014, 11:11 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,962,920 times
Not a guy, but I am attracted to women who are like me in terms of personality, but usually a bit chunkier than me physically. A bit of booty with the muscles .

Old 05-09-2014, 12:53 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,389,924 times
I notice a tendency that a lot of younger people tend to be attracted to their opposites, because there's a kind of mystery to them. Or perhaps, the parent they had most conflict with, they somehow play on that pattern in the adult relationships wanting someone opposite from them as an unconscious desire to finish unfinished business. The conflicted parental-child relationship becomes a model prototype of how they conceive their 'ideal' to be as sort of a nurturing, self-soothing figure they look for as a mental image of a lover or their 'type.'

I think each person has different sets of needs, and until they personally work through their own needs, they move onto want. And, type is strongly influenced by whichever stage they're in- need or want that satiates their own desires.

I notice elderly folks tend to be attracted to people similar to them. Perhaps, they've been through the emotional working through, they know themselves, and have forgiven whatever past angst or hurt from parental bonds have kept them psychologically strapped.

I'm also not saying we are all victims of our own past, but our unconscious tendencies verses our present day focus can be predictive of what our type is. And, there's no way of telling each individual person who will attract or like what, unless a person really digs deeply within. Some people don't reach to that level of self-awareness. Some people do.

P.S.- Credits to:
Attachment Theory- Interesting read, if you're interested OP!

Last edited by kat949; 05-09-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 03:12 PM

20,687 posts, read 19,824,686 times
I have a very good friend who is gay and spent alot of time in the gay scene. Most couples I see seem to be very opposite in looks. Very young guys with almost disgustingly old dudes. The feminine with the very masculines, the skinny with the musculars, etc. etc.

Same with the girls but often not such an extreme age gap.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:49 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,848,034 times
Old question, but glad it's bumped since we need some more gay stuff in here...

Yes, I'm pretty much attracted to my 'own' type. I prefer slender/short-ish men with dark small eyes, light/olive skin and dark hair (the features I have). Not too masculine and definitely not too feminine (like this guy for instance - my perfect SO). I can go as far as appreciating a feminine or 'lesbian' looking man who doesn't act like a girl (in short, masculine acting yet feminine or pretty looking - Justin Bieber, Ricky Martin)...

I can't imagine being, or falling in love, with an overly masculine or muscular man or a guy much taller than me (they're lookers for sure, but not to the point to be in relationship with). I need a soft guy to cuddle around with easily. With that being said I also can't be attracted to a girly gay guy who talks with a high voice (in fact, they're worse than the overly masculine/big men). Okay, maybe I could fall for a larger guy though, but his good looks/personality must compensate his body.

To answer the above person (Oh-Eve), I really have to disagree....Or are you talking about lesbians? Because most gay guys go for men who look like them (Youtube gay couples). We also seem to get asked stuff like "are you siblings" and tell us, "you look like brothers". I have yet to see a small thin gay man with a muscular one. In fact, many muscular gay men are extremely shallow, who'd prefer the company of other muscular men.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,728,387 times
I call my ex- husband and his new (male) spouse "the twins" because they look so much alike. They look more similar than my ex and his brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships