Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't have a car because we have awesome public transportation and parking in the city blows.

When I lived in California? Not having a car was basically a dealbreaker because we had zero public transportation and it was fairly rural.

Most women don't know jack chit about cars and just go for the shiniest, newest kind. I LOVE cars and have driven everything from a 23 Ford Frankenstein to a McClaren F1, so a healthy appreciation for motoring would be a definite plus in my book! His daily driver doesn't matter much, but I'm not a huge fan of anything lifted or lowered pointlessly or SUVs in general unless there's an actual need for it.

As for driving a manual... I learned when I was 9. I do think it's odd when someone doesn't know how to drive one.
I wish I had a McLaren F1...that's my dream car. I wonder how the women would respond if I drove one of those. (Assuming it's even street legal )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
I'm curious to hear why bikes are deal breakers in your book. And no, I have no desire to own a car really.
I'd rather not date someone who is in denial about the relative sanity of riding a motorcycle. Not that I haven't done so in the past. (This is hypothetical, anyway.) But if we were starting out with a blank slate, relationshipwise, motorcycle owners would be off the list.

As for manual transmissions, it's hard to learn to drive one if they don't sell them (much) anymore. I'm almost old, so I learned how from the get go. Since I'm not a cougar (or even single) it's unlikely this hidden talent would be a significant issue. IMO, glorifying stick shifts is like drinking PBR, trendy but increasingly moot.

Last edited by ellie; 01-24-2013 at 05:17 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,933 times
As a side note, I always think it's funny when my guy friends talk about how "girly" a coupe BMW is, but then I reply that I think it's a very nice car and would be fine if any man of mine got in it. They always try to argue me.

It's kind of the argument "women dress for other women". A lot of us don't care/don't even like the car you want to drive.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I love a woman who knows how to handle a stick. Shift me into fifth gear.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
I don't care what the car is, as long as it's safe and relatively clean...may not be spotless but as long as there aren't foul smells coming from it from leftover greasy fast-food bags jammed under the seat, I'm good!

My SO got a motorcycle after I met him. It's a sport bike, he rides it primarily for his work commute and I ride with him occasionally, but it's not built for comfort so only short jaunts.

Some won't ride motorcycles because of safety issues. Motorcycles aren't conducive to dressy attire/skirts. They're also dependent on weather. If she's not okay with being on a motorcycle, she'd have to be okay with the burden of driving being on her as the car owner, and if it's inconvenient to always be the one picking you up, depending on your location.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Im pretty sure men and women got together for thousands of years, before cars were invented, so it certainly doesnt play much of a role in attracting women. And those that are more interested in what car you drive than anything else, are likely golddiggers or extremely materialistic anyway. I moved to the city few years ago and sold my sports car. Dont miss it one bit, and if I really need a car once in a blue moon, I either use Uber or zip cars. If you live in the boonies or even suburbs, car is obviously a necessity more often than not. If you live in the heart of a city, you can do without and are substantialy better off. If I were to guesstimate, Id say 75% of people who live in my neighborhood, dont have a car.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,232 times
When I did online dating, I remember the majority of women's profiles I looked at stated three things that were mandatory: A Job, own place and a CAR. No matter how nice, well off or good looking he was, he had to have a car. I honestly agree with that sentiment. I always lived in areas where a car was needed, and public transportation just was not that great. Plus in many people's minds a car signifies that you are independent. Not having one may make a woman feel that you need to be dependent on her, and many women don't want to feel that way.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
I have a car, so I dont see a problem.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
If your car were a deal breaker, you're better off without that woman anyway!
Agreed. There are plenty of fish in the sea and plenty of fish that wont care about the kind of car you drive.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I don't care what the car is, as long as it's safe and relatively clean...may not be spotless but as long as there aren't foul smells coming from it from leftover greasy fast-food bags jammed under the seat, I'm good.
Now this I will agree with. If my date doesnt have a car, fine. If she does then she needs to keep it clean. My ex wifes car looked like a friggin landfill inside. Papers, chewed bubble gum stuck to the dash, fast food bags and cups covering the floor. It was gross and smelled really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships