Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 04:14 PM

65 posts, read 88,030 times

Advertisements

From your guys experience, has moving in with your boyfriend/girlfriend been a bad idea?

My girlfriend and I have been together for about year, she stay with me every night and has most of her stuff at my apartment, but now she wants to move everything in, I think its a great idea, but I am worried cause I have heard from friends that its typically a bad idea.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 04:48 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
I think some of it has to do with your ages and attitudes.
If I were you, I would look at your situation, how much you like the girl and if the 2 of you think it's a good idea. Pros and Cons. It's different for different people. I am in my late 40's and my s/o in his early 50's and we have been living together for almost 3 years. It works for us.
If I marry again, I will lose the health insurance and annuity I get from my late husband so living together is the best option.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
It really depends on the couple. Do you really want to see her 24/7 all year around? Do you think that you will eventually marry her? How big is your apartment?

Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I think some of it has to do with your ages and attitudes.
If I were you, I would look at your situation, how much you like the girl and if the 2 of you think it's a good idea. Pros and Cons. It's different for different people. I am in my late 40's and my s/o in his early 50's and we have been living together for almost 3 years. It works for us.
If I marry again, I will lose the health insurance and annuity I get from my late husband so living together is the best option.
I am almost 21, she just turned 21. We never fight or argue, we have I think once, but that was it. I could easily see my self being with her for many years to come, we are a perfect match, I would just hate to loose all of that.

I see no cons, the situaion is not changing drastically from the current one, I have just heard bad things in the past.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:04 PM
miu

Well there are some studies that say that married couples who don't live together before marriage have a higher success rate. It depends on how romantic a couple you are. I think that by living together, some of the magic is lost before the wedding day. Of course, by living together, this is a good way to see how you both deal with money and a budget.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:06 PM

The romance is definetly there, none of the magic has been lost yet!

When it comes to money, its generally unspoken, we don't worry about it, we both make enough to pay bills and still have leisure money.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:36 PM
miu

Well go for it then. Maybe have agree to sit down together after 90 days and then a year to see how things are going. Your relationship should always come first, so if for any reason, spending too much time together becomes an issue, then have her start looking for another place.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:40 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhhhh View Post
The romance is definetly there, none of the magic has been lost yet!

When it comes to money, its generally unspoken, we don't worry about it, we both make enough to pay bills and still have leisure money.

Josh, you sound very mature, and content....I wouldn't listen to stories of others...just live and experience...if you love her and she loves you, perhaps you belong together, to grow, and to learn and support each other through life, even in the bad times...and there will be bad times...but they should bring you closer instead of further away from each other...

Hugs and good luck, no matter what you do...you have my blessing....

Old 10-19-2007, 05:44 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,164 times
I can only go on my own experience, and say, don't do it. Sorry to be so blunt.
Living together, especially at your age, is a very confining thing to do.
After my experiences, I came to see that living together is the same as being married without that kind of commitment.
To get very real with yourself, ask yourself if you want to marry her in the same time frame that you would be moving in together. If the answer is no, then don't do it.
I say this because real issues come up as if you were married, and if you are not ready to deal with them, it is very easy to walk, which isn't such a bad thing, but why put yourself there in the fist place?
You are also very young, and there is so much living to do, go live a little, and then make those kinds of big decisions later in life.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:15 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,361 times
I personally don't think it's a good idea to live with someone before you get married. It's one thing to occasionally stay the night over at their house and vise versa but I think it's a totally different story to be living with them and not married. I'm 28 and I really wouldn't want to move in with a boyfriend, until after marriage, call me old fashioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships