Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
When you invite someone you're dating to your place......do you expect them to bring something? Or at least ask if you need something?

Idk why, but this is a huge turnoff for me.

Its like, you come to house, use my bathroom, eat food, watch TV, maybe end up taking a shower, the least you can do is bring something.

*Random Boring Friday Night Thoughts*
NO, they are your GUESTS. If I am inviting a date to my house, it means I am entertaining and I will provide everything.

No offense to anyone but I think it's low class and cheap to invite a date and expect them to bring chips and dip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 AM

448 posts, read 685,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
You don't have many visitors, do you?
Actually I do.

I have a reputation for being a great cook. So I actually always have someone coming over for dinner

Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 AM

448 posts, read 685,209 times
Oh yea, I did say, they can at least ASK.

Just asking is courtesy in itself. If I don't need/want anything, I say no

Old 01-26-2013, 10:23 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I think dating is not the same guidelines or customs, as say a dinner party, in which case I'd probably bring a bottle of wine or something, but I don't as a rule bring things if I go to my bf's. When he is here, I provide for us, and when I'm at his place he provides for us. It all balances out. If your guy is coming over and eating all your food all the time and not reciprocating or taking you out, that is a different problem.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
Do you expect them to bring something? Or at least ask if you need something?

Idk why, but this is a huge turnoff for me.

Its like, you come to house, use my bathroom, eat food, watch TV, maybe end up taking a shower, the least you can do is bring something.

Something to drink, a bag of chips, some oreos, hell, even a box of tissues. Something!

I just feel like this is common courtesy. I do that whenever I go to anyone's house. Whether I'm dating them or not.

Just shows how considerate a person is.
Is this a particular person who repeatedly comes to your place, doesn't reciprocate, and you're feeling taken advantage of?

I don't expect people to bring anything when they come over, but I always take something wherever I'm going. SO and I have been dating for a couple of years, and we alternate houses each weekend and still come with something in hand. This week was just a new flavour of crackers I knew he'd love, last week he brought a bottle of wine from his homemade collection. My mom will come over to visit, and bring me a chocolate bar, or vice versa.

Even though someone is hosting, I like to contribute in some way, as a thank you for their kindness.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
If I'm hanging at a friend's house, no. If it's a dinner party or get together, I'll ask. If it's a date at his place, I'll pick up a box of wine.

I don't ever expect anyone to bring anything to my place. If they do, it's a bonus.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
It's customary to bring flowers, is it not?

Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It's customary to bring flowers, is it not?
No.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
I don't expect them to bring anything unless it's something they want that they know I won't have.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
No. Absolutely not. Many people will bring something on their own, but I would not request it of them. Now if we are a group of friends or family getting together for something, then I may say, "Would you mind bringing....?" Usually someone would ask if there is anything they can bring before I ask.

But if you are inviting someone new to your place, I don't think you should ask or expect they bring anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships