Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times

Advertisements

There is a difference between being socially introverted, and having a social phobia.

Socially introverted people tend not to like lengthy, extranious conversations, preferring to get down to meat of a topic. They also tend to like smaller groups in which they socialize, and do not prefer large groups. Male ocial introverts can and do just fine with women.

Men with a social phobia (often especially with women) tend to "bind up," get nervous, or otherwise are unable to function normally around women or in groups. They have a higher anxiety to those situations than, I suspect, even a normal introverts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,128 times
Yes, OP, of course you are so correct!

Being a shy man is DEFINITELY worse (to every woman on the face of earth) than being one of the following:

1. A murderer
2. A rapist
3. A pedophile
4. A terrorist
5. A sadist, bank robber, animal torturer, etc., ad infinitum

Yup.. every woman between the ages of 13-103 prefers rapists, murderers and pedophiles to shy men. You're so lucky to have figured out this little-known fact. Good for you!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Generally like is attracted to like. I wonder if shy men and women would work well together but both of them are afraid.to talk to the other one??

While I definitely don't mind shy men, I do appreciate good conversation and if he doesn't 'warm up' to ke at some point I'm going to assume he's uninterested. In addition, my industry relies heavily on networking which means attending events and it would be nice to have someone by my side during events and conferences. It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but it is a preference.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:07 PM

11,792 posts, read 12,027,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
There is a difference between being socially introverted, and having a social phobia.

Socially introverted people tend not to like lengthy, extranious conversations, preferring to get down to meat of a topic. They also tend to like smaller groups in which they socialize, and do not prefer large groups. Male ocial introverts can and do just fine with women.

Men with a social phobia (often especially with women) tend to "bind up," get nervous, or otherwise are unable to function normally around women or in groups. They have a higher anxiety to those situations than, I suspect, even a normal introverts.
Yes. I know I've said this a few times here, but shyness and introversion aren't the same thing. Just google "shy versus introverted" and you can clearly see they're not related. i.e. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...sion-continues

I prefer not to have to attend frequent social gatherings, but I don't fear them.

I'm a very social person, but an introvert. I work in a customer service oriented environment, and am often mentally exhausted by the end of the day and need to go home to solitude to recharge for the next day. I don't like to be busy all weekend, don't care for frequent social gatherings. I have no problem functioning in social settings though, and that is the difference.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM

469 posts, read 566,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Generally like is attracted to like. I wonder if shy men and women would work well together but both of them are afraid.to talk to the other one??

While I definitely don't mind shy men, I do appreciate good conversation and if he doesn't 'warm up' to ke at some point I'm going to assume he's uninterested. In addition, my industry relies heavily on networking which means attending events and it would be nice to have someone by my side during events and conferences. It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but it is a preference.
hi you can take me to events XD hahahahaha

Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Shyness is not the worst thing a man can be.

The worst thing a man can be is clingy. The minute you get emotionally attached to a woman, most of them will dump you on your ass. And then they complain that men aren't affectionate enough.

I tend to be clingy and emotional, and women are SO mean to me.
I'm quite clingy as well. I can't help it. I'm the type of man who can get his feelings hurt easily. I'm the type who wants to be loved, who loves affection, who wants to be with someone. I actually ended up losing a big chance at having a girlfriend over "clingy". I was told I was "clingy", and it hurt me alot, not only because of what she said, but the fact that I had to drag the answer out of her. I basically felt lied to because she wasn't straight forward with me in the first place. Second, it hurt because I can't really help being clingy. I'm just like that. After that it pretty much ruined what little confidence I had and it took a few years for me to recover. I have tried to hide the fact that I'm like this.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 PM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
I don't think being shy is a bad thing. However, I notice shy guys are usually the ones who don't get girlfriends.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,797 times
I prefer shy guys.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,420 times
No, shyness is not the worst. Clingy is worse, but the worst of them all is creepy/disgusting.

I am a guy, but some guys are so bad I don't even want to sit next to them. Guys who smell, eat with their mouth open, breath on you, crosses your boundaries. And in addition to that they have this neediness, their whole body attention is focused toward the person they are talking to, don't smile or laugh, and is hard to get rid off because they follow you wherever you go.

Those kind of people are the real losers.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,107 times
Nothing wrong with shyness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships