Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times

Advertisements

Your local court system should have a web site to answer your questions. as far as getting one, here, you go to court, you need witnesses to comfirm your reason for needing one, most of the time it needs to be a threat of harm to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,574 times
My ex had a temporary restraining order against me for short period of time in which i was served of then she went in court and extended for 2 years. My question is do i ned to be served for this extension ?? or is still valid thanks

Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic23 View Post
My assumption is that my ex would need to show some cause why the court should grant a restraining order, especially when there is no reasonable cause beyond, "I don't like him there."
I don't know if that is enough to get a restraining order - it may be. But "I don't like him there" is all the reason she needs to forbid you from entering her home. It shouldn't have to come to her threatening to get a restraining order for you to respect her wishes. If she doesn't want you there, you shouldn't be there. Kids or no kids.

Quote:
Of course, if kids weren't involved, or if we were talking about young kids, that would be enough for me and probably the court. However, my youngest is thirteen, 5'-10", 160 lbs., and has little "boy" left about him, another is 15, and the eldest is 18.
Their age is irrelevant. They are not the final word on who can come into the home. The fact that SHE doesn't want you there should be enough for you.

Quote:
Reason says that my boys have every right to invite me into their home. When no wrongdoing, harm, or threat of harm has ever occurred to my ex or her property by my presence at her home, the only thing a restraining order would prevent is my interaction with my boys.
That is not reasonable. They answer to mom, not the other way around. When they get a job and get their own digs, they can then invite you into "their" home. It is not a matter of any harm coming to them with you being there or preventing interaction with your boys. Your boys have every right to see you and vice versa - at YOUR place during whatever days/times you agree to. She is your ex and you live in separate homes for a reason. You don't have a "right" to be there.

Quote:
Reason and law don't have any necessary connection, I've found, so I'm interested in what cause needs to be shown to the court in King County for a restraining order to be put in place.
Still there is nothing reasonable about this. I don't know about the laws specific to your state. But what you expressed is not going to win you any points with a judge. If she has already told you she does not want you there, and you continue to enter her home against her wishes, she would have cause to file charges for harassment and trespassing. That would make it easy to obtain a restraining order if you continue.

This is very strange to me. Having children together doesn't entitle you to free roam of her place. Why can't they visit with you at yours?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 AM

182 posts, read 502,936 times
I don't know the laws for King County Washington for a restraining order.

I do know a guy I worked with had one against him in Luzerne County Pa. His wife called him to fix the furance that had broken. Well he went over to fix it as per her request. After he got done, they got in a fight (words) she called the cops and he was arrested for breaking the restraining order-even though she's the one that called and invited him in the house.

She admitted she called him to the cops. He was told it didn't matter, he had to follow the parameters of the restraining order-period!! He got thrown in jail for 3 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships