Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:03 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr88 View Post
Please try to understand before you say that......in Jamaica if you meet a girl, 9 times out of 10 she'll want you to support her financially as they say love can't eat. And also, if you can't provide for her financially she'll use it against you when you try to get a little bedroom fun. That's all.

I just thought it was the same there as it is here.
Hmmmm, I obviously can't speak for women in Jamaica, nor can I speak for women in the US - I can, however speak for myself. <g> I am married and I do not expect my husband to provide for me financially - I expect us to provide for each other...And we do. Of course, we are older, our kids are grown, so we do not have to consider anyone staying at home to raise children. I'm in my 50s and have NEVER withheld "sexual favors" as a form of "punishment" for any reason. I guess some women (and probably men) do, but I never saw any sense in using it as a reward or punishment............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
I guess it's a Jamaican thing then........In Jamaica most women you date want you to give them money for whatever.
I feel that perhaps awhile ago, the Jamaican men were more players, and they abused the trust of their womenfolk. Then the women all got together and developed this mercenary attitude as a defense against men that were less than honorable in their courtship intentions.

Just a thought as it sounds to me that the Jamaica women that Mr88 and his friends are encountering are doubtful of the genuineness of the menfolk's affection, so they are asking for proof of their love, and money and gifts are concrete ways to show it.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:38 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
To the original poster, does this mean the man is paying for sex?

Old 10-22-2007, 05:16 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Here the woman doesn't take money from the man until they are married, then she takes it all.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:18 PM

75 posts, read 290,248 times
MR88, no matter where you live this is considered modern day prostitution.
~ShellyR

Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
You mean if I move to Jamaica, men will give me money? Maybe it's a cultural difference. I've never had a BF give me money for anything.

HMMMM, maybe I wasn't worth it!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM

382 posts, read 1,068,833 times
Wink Find someone else unless.....

MR 88,

Like everyone else, I am going to add my two cents. It is not just a Jamaican thing. In this day and age, one can find both men and women making financial demands in the name of love.

Heck fire, just turn the tables. Tell you girlfriend you will be more than happy to prove you love her by paying for her "trinkets" as long as she can also provide you with the same. She can show her love for you by paying for your haircuts, motorcycle, fine clothes, and so forth and you will provide her with the best warm fuzzy feeling she ever had.

If there is no equal, there is no love. When you love someone you place their welfare (notice I mean "needs" not "luxuries") over yours and vice versa. When you find someone willing to take equal responsibility then you have found the right one.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:17 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
Quote:
First to understand where the question is coming from lets make some things clear.

Most women are not gonna date a man that can't even give them money to do their hair or to buy lunch or just plain give them some sort of money.

So I ask, what if he made this comparison.

His Girl: Gives her money, has to compromise and sometimes give up his fun, can only get sex when she wants to give it and sometimes argue and fight

The Pro: He gets sex as long as he pays, no arguments, he gets his space and fun and can hang with the guys when he feels like it.

PLEASE SPEAK YOUR MINDS!
Dear lord jesus christ satan mary and anyone else -
PLEASE tell me this is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (barfing smiley)
Um - I have this thing called a JOB and THAT'S where I get my money!!!!!!
***Oh! Sorry - just looked back & saw this is a cultural thing. So that explains it...
Weird...

Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 AM

85 posts, read 246,287 times
Quote:

The Pro: He gets sex as long as he pays,
I may be way off base here but this statement sounds a little like prostitution to me...

Old 10-23-2007, 06:58 AM

74 posts, read 267,364 times
I'm going to ask that when I post stuff don't take it in reference to me. Personally I don't date women who can't take care of themselves in every way.

But on a whole, I think there is a very huge comparison between the relationships here and there. In many relationship, even some happy ones, when you get to listening to the female, she will often tell you that her b/f doesn't want to support her financially and as a result if he doesn't then he gets sex taken away from him.

Just the same way you will find a man saying he won't support her financially if she doesn't give up the goods on a regular basis. Even the young girls my age (general comparison) are saying things like they want a man that drives his own car and not one that takes the bus, or one that can make sure her hair and nails look good or he won't get any. Their reasoning is, if he can't make life easier for her why should he be able to sleep with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships