Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM

650 posts, read 702,531 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese
I dont want to get off topic here but in NYC what you just stated is true. Plenty of men inflate womens egos here to the point she thinks she is miss it. Plenty of guys tell these women who are below a 5 that they are hot, sexy, damb ma, god bless you, can I go down on you. These type of women here are open to these type of topics. Sad thing is these women over time see themselves as hot stuff and feel they need a physically attractive guy and avoid average joes. Believe me walk down the streets of NY tou will see plenty of unattractive women with attractive men, sad thing is many attractive men have unattractive women on their strings just to sleep with. Unattractive women here egos are way to high for my taste here in NYC, thats why I joined CD ao that I can move to another city which has a better dating culture.

My answer: You are closest to the truth that I ever read on line. But I wanted to add a couple of things and see what you think. First, these attractive men must feel attraction towards these unattractive women even if (or especially if) they want to sleep with them. No matter what say a male who chases another male might claim or a male who sleeps with a social standard unattractive woman might claim, the biological fact is that a man doesn't get an erection unless he is physically attracted to that person so the first man is indeed a homosexual despite what he may claim and the second man (which is the only man who I am referring to) is able to see and feel the attraction to a woman who society deems "unattractive" or "plain" "old" "obese" despite his claims to the contrary.

So the actual situation here is that we men do have the ability to think for ourselves and to define what we personally consider to be an attractive woman.............and our sexual responses given us away despite our face saving claims to "only" have the hots say for Beyoncé and that type. Not that this is a problem but what the problem is, is that few women at least in NY for the last 40-50 years are in touch with that same ability of thinking/feeling for themselves and feeling the physical attraction which some women must also have towards men who society considers to be "unattractive" or "plain" etc.

The solution would be for women to get in touch with, to recognize and accept their own individualized attractions and to act on those attractions same as the men do.

That solution would make NY a far better, a far more loving, a much less single town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,611,217 times
I recently heard of a study done on POF/match.com, where thousands of women participating in online dating on these sites, were asked to rate attractivness of guys who had pictures and active accounts. The results showed that 80% of men were less than average when it came to looks. Only 20% of men who were rated (out of 100s of thousands) were found to be average looking or better. Now of course, I dont believe that looks are very important for a man in order to attract women, but in online dating it means quite a bit more than in real life situations. Mod cut: gender bashing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-19-2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM

650 posts, read 702,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I recently heard of a study done on POF/match.com, where thousands of women participating in online dating on these sites, were asked to rate attractivness of guys who had pictures and active accounts. The results showed that 80% of men were less than average when it came to looks. Only 20% of men who were rated (out of 100s of thousands) were found to be average looking or better. Now of course, I dont believe that looks are very important for a man in order to attract women, but in online dating it means quite a bit more than in real life situations. Snip.
And the men were closer to reality as they found about 50% of the women to be average or higher.

I believe this was an Ok Cupid study, I don't think Fish has the competence or the intelligence to even think up such tests nor the desire to reveal the truth which Ok at least did.

But what is Ok going to do to try and change things because 80% of men logically can't be less than average or unattractive to women even if women cheat by using make-up, hair dye, teenage hair styles, face lifts, high fashion etc which men can't do.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-19-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
Quote:
I recently heard of a study done on POF/match.com, where thousands of women participating in online dating on these sites, were asked to rate attractivness of guys who had pictures and active accounts. The results showed that 80% of men were less than average when it came to looks. Only 20% of men who were rated (out of 100s of thousands) were found to be average looking or better. Now of course, I dont believe that looks are very important for a man in order to attract women, but in online dating it means quite a bit more than in real life situations. Snip.
Did they also survey men in the same way? I would be interested to know if skewed ideals was more of a female trait or a result of "overinflated egos" in general. We've all heard the jokes about dorks criticizing a girl's elbows for being too pointy. There's a thread on this page from an overweight to obese young man who is perplexed why thinner women do not respond to him. How is this Mod cut: Orphaned. rather than half of an illustration that America probably needs to turn off the television and look in the mirror?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
And the men were closer to reality as they found about 50% of the women to be average or higher.
Interesting! Please post it if you can find it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-19-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post

I believe this was an Ok Cupid study, I don't think Fish has the competence or the intelligence to even think up such tests nor the desire to reveal the truth which Ok at least did.

But what is Ok going to do to try and change things because 80% of men logically can't be less than average or unattractive to women even if women cheat by using make-up, hair dye, teenage hair styles, face lifts, high fashion etc which men can't do.
I think you are right, it may have been OKC. There isnt really much that OKC or anyone can do about it, but I find this study very revealing as it relates to todays womans expectations and standards.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,409,586 times
From my standpoint, just because I think a guy is below average looking/average looking, that doesn't mean I think of myself as good-looking or a hotty.

Did the poll/study ask them to rate BOTH the men and what they thought of their own appearance? Or did the study just ask them to "rank" the men?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends

Mod cut: orphaned.

its about living in the fantasy world that has been created for todays modern woman. From statistical point of view these results are shocking and very revealing. 80/20 rule is nicely backed here as well, as I dont know any woman who would want to roll in the hay with a below average looking guy when their inboxes are flooded daily. The good news: in real life many men find ways to attract women with their behavior, not their looks. However, as far as online dating goes, below average looking guys likely have a pretty hard time.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-19-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,018,864 times
Quote:
I think really what that study shows is that absent any other qualitative criteria, such as history with the man in question, his job/income/ability to provide, how he treats the women in his life, and other qualities, that women can be just as harsh as men when judging looks. I am not inclined to be too harsh on a man or a woman when all the get is one picture and have no other knowledge of the individual. This doesn't mean that there standards are impossibly high, rather it suggests that with only one criteria to judge, the standard will be higher for that one category, be it looks, or income, or any other single quality.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-19-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I think really what that study shows is that absent any other qualitative criteria, such as history with the man in question, his job/income/ability to provide, how he treats the women in his life, and other qualities, that women can be just as harsh as men when judging looks. I am not inclined to be too harsh on a man or a woman when all the get is one picture and have no other knowledge of the individual. This doesn't mean that there standards are impossibly high, rather it suggests that with only one criteria to judge, the standard will be higher for that one category, be it looks, or income, or any other single quality.
Well, the study clearly shows that women are substantialy harsher when judging mans looks, considering they find 80% of men below average looking, which is a result we should never see. Men find roughly 50% of women below average looking, which is an expected and reasonable result. I do agree with you that looks are only one trait, but this is solely what is being judged here. In my opinion, Women and handsome men have an incredible advantage when it comes to online dating. The reason for that is quite simple. Almost all men, are able to tell if a woman would make a good mate by simply looking at her picture.

This is because physical beauty is by far the most important trait that men care about when choosing a woman. As such, with a few pictures, men have a full representation of a lady that has an online profile. But it doesnt quite work the same in the vice versa scenario. The reason for that, is that while every woman wants an attractive partner, the physical beauty is NOT as important as behavior, confidence, asseritvness, aggression etc. Its because women are by far most attracted to mans behavior rather than his looks. Online dating does not allow men to exhibit their behavior and as such are judged and ultimately ignored based on looks. Many of the same men would do very well in real life with the very same women who are choosing not to bother.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
Quote:
Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends

Snip. its about living in the fantasy world that has been created for todays modern woman. From statistical point of view these results are shocking and very revealing. 80/20 rule is nicely backed here as well, as I dont know any woman who would want to roll in the hay with a below average looking guy when their inboxes are flooded daily. The good news: in real life many men find ways to attract women with their behavior, not their looks. However, as far as online dating goes, below average looking guys likely have a pretty hard time.
OK, I read the whole thing.

Quote:
When it comes down to actually choosing targets, men choose the modelesque. Someone like roomtodance above gets nearly 5 times as many messages as a typical woman and 28 times as many messages as a woman at the low end of our curve. Site-wide, two-thirds of male messages go to the best-looking third of women. So basically, guys are fighting each other 2-for-1 for the absolute best-rated females, while plenty of potentially charming, even cute, girls go unwritten.
Although the OKC men rated women more fairly, they still pursue the higher end of the scale. It looks like men and women both have skewed hopes and expectations to me. Or are you saying that modern men also live in a fantasy world created for them?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-19-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships