Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What I meant to say is that "the Pitts" is not credible in any role as a man of substance and looks skanky, the same way Tom Cruise is not credible as anyone beyond how he was cast in "Risky Business."
Nah I loved Pitt in Legend of the fall. And Tom was great in Mission Impossible and Jerry McGuire. Once he went nuts on Oprah he lost his credibilty. And the Sciencology doesn't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Nah I loved Pitt in Legend of the fall. And Tom was great in Mission Impossible and Jerry McGuire. Once he went nuts on Oprah he lost his credibilty. And the Sciencology doesn't help.
I never thought either of them were attractive....

Give me Tom Hiddleston or Tori Belleci from the show MythBusters.

Goodness gracious.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I call my friend John and just start talking to him as if he was my boyfriend. He knows my game and just let's me ramble on and on. He's such a good sport
This strikes me as lacking in people skills and letting others control you. You shouldn't have to make a pretend phone call because of (or *for* essentially) some stranger, should you??? I'm not trying to be an ass. I just don't fully understand.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
This strikes me as lacking in people skills and letting others control you. You shouldn't have to make a pretend phone call because of (or *for* essentially) some stranger, should you??? I'm not trying to be an ass. I just don't fully understand.
There are a lot of super agressive men out there. I have had on many ocassions the response to my coment about a boyfriend being something like the following:
  • I don't see a ring on it
  • Where is he right now?
  • If I was your boyfriend I'd never leave your side
  • There is no rule saying you can't have another one

Being on the phone gives off a very clear signal.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Jade, you must perfect the "oh please, I'm obviously out of your league" look. Give one word answers or say as few words as possible. The sketchy guys will get the message. And carry mace (just in case) for the ones who don't get it.
I really need to work on my death stare. I am just normally super bubbly and smiley.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are a lot of super agressive men out there. I have had on many ocassions the response to my coment about a boyfriend being something like the following:
  • I don't see a ring on it
  • Where is he right now?
  • If I was your boyfriend I'd never leave your side
  • There is no rule saying you can't have another one

Being on the phone gives off a very clear signal.

Hm. Now that I think of it, I know exactly what you mean. I think what you describe (overly-aggressive/persistent guys) is particularly a problem in urban areas, especially bad areas or where a span of social classes intermix (like areas that are major public transit hubs). Perhaps this part of the reason so many people prefer a suburban existence. Although, it seems to me that professional and upper-middle class+ women seem to be able to exist in the city less bothered because a strong barrier of indifference. I think that's even why urban cities are largely either/or in terms of social class without much of a middle class - the middle folks aren't quite different enough from the 'undesireables' to not become intertwined or at least affected by them socially, so they don't have that barrier of indifference.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Hm. Now that I think of it, I know exactly what you mean. I think what you describe (overly-aggressive/persistent guys) is particularly a problem in urban areas, especially bad areas or where a span of social classes intermix (like areas that are major public transit hubs). Perhaps this part of the reason so many people prefer a suburban existence. Although, it seems to me that professional and upper-middle class+ women seem to be able to exist in the city less bothered because a strong barrier of indifference. I think that's even why urban cities are largely either/or in terms of social class without much of a middle class - the middle folks aren't quite different enough from the 'undesireables' to not become intertwined or at least affected by them socially, so they don't have that barrier of indifference.
Did you just call Jade poor? Snobby much?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Did you just call Jade poor? Snobby much?
No..he just said that in urban areas where people of different socio-economic strata mix, there is more chance of running into aggressive folks. That's all.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
No..he just said that in urban areas where people of different socio-economic strata mix, there is more chance of running into aggressive folks. That's all.
Yes, I thought of this also. I lived in the city for much of my life and have become jaded (no pun intended OP!). As a train commuter, I've frequently been approached by the sketchy types. I've learned it's often best to ignore, not make eye contact, talk on phone, wear headphones, etc... Now, when I'm out and about in my small town grocery shopping or something, I'll smile and make eye contact with most people. It is also more likely that I'll know them or their family.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I "nicely" tell them to pound sand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships