Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

I am sure this happens to many of you on occasion. The pickup attempt by what I'll deem the "sketchy" guy. There are many types of sketchy guy out there. Mostly harmless. But let's just say they are clearly unsuitable.

The sketchy guy might be really old. Or really sleazy. Or a combo of the two. Or could just be someone who has a completely incompatible lifestyle to yours (i.e. you are walking to the subway, and they are smoking on the corner).

One thing, I find, in all of my experiences with the "sketchy guy" they all seem to have this innate confidence that they absolutely have a chance! So they keep on trying!

Today I was headed to the bus stop, and there was a man who looks maybe 10 years younger than my dad. He asks me, if he was on the right side of the street for the bus, and how to get somewhere. I wasn't completely sure how to get to that place on the bus, and then he shows me his google directions and I confirmed that those directions were OK.

I would have thought that was the end of the conversation. But I was wrong. He then proceeded to quiz me about my relationship status. (I, like many women, invent fake boyfriends to hopefully get these people to stop talking. It works 50% of the time). He proceeds to keep trying, make comments about my appearance. And then of course gets into his life story. (for the record, I look like I am headed to work today. At an office. In a knee length shirt dress and tights.)

You are probably wondering why I deemed this guy the sketchy guy:
a. He looked 50-something. I maybe look 30. I know some women like much older men. I am not one of those, and 20 years is a big gap.
b. As he was telling me about his life story, he mentioned he was just leaving a halfway house.
c. He asked for directions to the "motel." Now the only motels in the vicinity of this bus stop are the kind that likely accept payment by the hour, about a mile away, in an area known for prostitution.

I politely declined his request for my phone number.

How do you guys handle the come-ons by the sketchy guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
All I heard was that you don't have a boyfriend....

In defense of the guy, we have no idea who is or isn't in our league...and honestly, we don't care. We see gargoyle men with women we'd kill for, and we see absolute cows with guys that should be with Mila Kunis...

Your gender has no rhyme or reason....half the time we come off as sketchy, desperate, too aggressive...the other half we're in your pants...

So, yeah...most guys will just assume they're in until you pull out the mace....

Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
How do you guys handle the come-ons by the sketchy guy?
Give him your address, phone number, and tell him your underwear size. Tell him to meet you at your place around 6 and when he gets there, he'll realize you gave him the address and phone info for the local police station. Maybe he'll meet the love he's been desiring after they throw him in the joint...lol

Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Dude the guy was basically saying lets have a quickie at a crappy motel!!!

Ew Jade! You should carry mase!!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,702 times
Do you even realize that you invited him into a conversation with you?! you asked for it.

If you dont want to talk to someone just tell them your busy and keep going.

If he needs help and asks for directions, thats fine, but then say your busy and in a rush.

DONE. But you kept feeding into conversation so what do you expect?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
He is only sketchy to you, because you werent attracted to him. If you were, you would not think there was anything wrong with what he said or did. We are men and we have to approach, in public or not, if we ever want a date. Perhaps the man thought that you'd like him and would be interested in seeing him. Ladies, dont get in a huff because you get approached. It takes courage and sometimes creativity to be able to approach women in public, and there is nothing sketchy or creepy about it. Take it as a compliment, and if youre not interested, just tell him that.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You are probably wondering why I deemed this guy the sketchy guy:
a. He looked 50-something. I maybe look 30. I know some women like much older men. I am not one of those, and 20 years is a big gap.
He's sketchy because you don't like older men? How's that make sense?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Give him your address, phone number, and tell him your underwear size. Tell him to meet you at your place around 6 and when he gets there, he'll realize you gave him the address and phone info for the local police station. Maybe he'll meet the love he's been desiring after they throw him in the joint...lol
Why would they throw him in the joint?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
He's sketchy because you don't like older men? How's that make sense?
I think he was sketchy because unlike all the other men in the world, he doesnt have a crystal ball to tell him that Jade doesnt like older guys, even if many women do. The nerve.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:18 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Why would they throw him in the joint?
It was just a joke...lol....I was thinking in terms of how sketchy the OP said this guy was. If he was 'that' sketchy then most likely the police would have harrased him and found a reason to lock him up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships