Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

I've known enough to know that a long-term happy relationship lasting decades is entirely possible.

In particular, I know that when I see my cousin with his wife, and knowing how rough his life was for so long, I am sometimes misty-eyed over knowing that they have had such a loving and happy relationship for the decade they have been together and that they have built such a wonderful life together for themselves and their boys. They work really hard at their relationship though - that's what I've taken away from watching them together. I don't want to jinx them, but when I see them together, I often think "so this is what a 50-year marriage looks like in its early stages."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
My parents were married for 24 years until breast cancer took mom. It's not my dad's fault that he couldn't stop what was unstoppable, and he would still like to be married to her.

It doesn't 100% apply to this thread, but it's close enough. You will not find a better couple than what my parents were. They had ups and downs, they fought sometimes, but they still loved each other very much. I do not see that kind of happiness from many marriages today like what I saw from my parents. I'm being as unbiased as I can be too.
That is very sweet and I am so sorry for the loss of your mother....

Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristarina View Post
I mean REALLY happy couples, especially those who are together for some time already (not those who have just begun to date), and still have this light in the eyes when they look at their partner, those who still embrace and kiss each other often even after years passed, those who have managed to keep very warm, caring, friendly, intimate and close relations, who stay together because they still love each other and not because of the habit, or money issues or for children sake...
None now.

My parents were this way for several years before my dad passed. They were sooo cute.
The funny thing is, they weren't always that way. It just came to be that way over time.
They really enjoyed each other.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I know a few. My aunt and uncle have been married forever. My brother and his wife have their ups and downs but boy can you tell that they love one another.

I think I am very happy in my relationship.... I have friends who are married or in a relationship long term and it seems when we get together, they are always complaining about their SO. I really have nothing to complain about, and that makes me happy.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I know that they exist.

Sorta like rumors of big foot, enough peole have seen them, so must exist, right..... LOL

Mrs. Chow and I get along pretty well and are pretty happy, but I don't see a whole lot of others to be honest, but again, as the Bigfoot reference goes.... they must exist.....

Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
My partner and me. We're pretty happy.

My mom and her husband.

Many of my friends are very happy with their spouses/partners. The ones with rocky relationships are are the anomaly.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,386 times
Just one. Out of the numerous couples I've seen and met my entire life.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM

44 posts, read 74,397 times
I don't think you need ALL of that stuff to be in a loving relationship and I don't think the key is to be in a bunch of different relationships in order to keep trying to relive those fleeting experiences. Just my opinion.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times
Quote:
I mean REALLY happy couples, especially those who are together for some time already (not those who have just begun to date), and still have this light in the eyes when they look at their partner, those who still embrace and kiss each other often even after years passed, those who have managed to keep very warm, caring, friendly, intimate and close relations, who stay together because they still love each other and not because of the habit, or money issues or for children sake...
Immediately, I know of 2 couples that fill the OP's description of happy.
I might know of others if I thought more about it, but they sure aren't all over the place.

Ok, one more, so 3 couples total.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:
Each day I can point out happy couples. The most happiest are the couples I see in high school. That said, the longer people are together, the more unhappy they seem to be.

'Only idiots remain married' - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships