Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times

Advertisements

out of the 5 or so we know well i would say 3 of them. all over 10 years
they other 2 are younger couples...mid 20's one is a 3 year and they other is a 2 year. constant fighting, nitpicking and back and forth banter. they do not appear to be happy with one another but still put on a "public love" show when others are around so they do not come off as being less...like they have some standard to uphold or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 PM

156 posts, read 175,447 times
thank you all for your answers, i should say that i was really pleasantly surprised that most of you know a lot of happy couples, it means that the situation around is not so bad or maybe that happy people attract other happy people in their circle

Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,655 times
None. Happy couples only exist in Hollywood.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristarina View Post
I mean REALLY happy couples, especially those who are together for some time already (not those who have just begun to date), and still have this light in the eyes when they look at their partner, those who still embrace and kiss each other often even after years passed, those who have managed to keep very warm, caring, friendly, intimate and close relations, who stay together because they still love each other and not because of the habit, or money issues or for children sake...
How many REALLY happy single people do you know?

I don't know why some people think happiness is supposed to be a perpetual state. Any human relationship is going to be, at turns, happy and sad, exciting and frustrating, harmonious and tumultuous, etc. Expecting couples to exist in a steady state of happiness and contentment is setting the bar impossibly high...

Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
A few, but it's difficult to tell if you know them only as friends.

My parents certainly have a very mixed relationship. They're dutiful to each other but there isn't much obvious physical affection, in fact I can't remember if they've ever kissed in front me.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
How many REALLY happy single people do you know?

I don't know why some people think happiness is supposed to be a perpetual state. Any human relationship is going to be, at turns, happy and sad, exciting and frustrating, harmonious and tumultuous, etc. Expecting couples to exist in a steady state of happiness and contentment is setting the bar impossibly high...
Surely there are many happy singles, as well as couples I guess, I presume happiness doesn't depend on whether you have a partner or no... the thread is about a couple relationship, not about happiness in general... I just asked myself this question, because I see many unhappy couples around, unhappy not because they have had a quarrel or a bad day, but you can feel how they even talk to each other with irritation, or indifference or sometimes even hatred, and they still have their reasons to stay together, but never work on their problems... unfortunately one of these couples are my parents, and it is still a mystery for me why they stay together anyway... here there are some more thoughts about the topic All Inside: How many really happy couples do you know?

Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 AM

4 posts, read 3,396 times
Well... I know my aunt and uncle are happy. Their son, my cousin, is happily married (eleven years now). A friend of the family has such a good relationship with his wife, I questioned the reality of it for a long time. So, I guess the number is three couples for me. My relationship may qualify in a few more years. My spouse is the only person I dated where I didn't have to think about excuses to keep doing so. I'll add that there was this elderly couple in the grocery store the other day holding hands. They had to be in their 80's or 90's. It might be too much to assume they've been together all their lives but I'd like to think so.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,787 times
I know a lot of happy couples, my mum and dad for one they're married 40 years and I can honestly say they barely argue and still make each others laugh!

My brother and his wife have been together 14 years and have a baby boy they are honestly the perfect couple.

I know a lot of really happy couples old and young. No one is perfect but I do believe there are people who are a perfect for each other.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I know a lot of happy couples, my mum and dad for one they're married 40 years and I can honestly say they barely argue and still make each others laugh!

My brother and his wife have been together 14 years and have a baby boy they are honestly the perfect couple.

I know a lot of really happy couples old and young. No one is perfect but I do believe there are people who are a perfect for each other.
exactly, I noticed that all the couples that still make each other laugh make an impression of happy couples for me it is an important sign, when I have a crisis in relationship, I notice that we stop laughing together, and when I feel good with my partner, we always joke and laugh together...

I totally agree with you, there are no perfect people, as nobody is perfect, but there people who are perfect for each other, they are like two pieces of puzzle that fit perfectly with each other

Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,932 times
I can count on one hand. Most couples I know I don't even know why they even bother staying together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships